The Student Room Group

Why is incest so taboo?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
To all those saying THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!1!!1!One!1, what about childless incest couples? Not all couples have children. Why is it wrong in those cases?

And no, I'm not defending winc- I MEAN...incest. :ninja:
Reply 41
Original post by meenu89
I would definitely consider first cousins as incest.

No not really love

I don't think incest, from a social view, should be taboo as much as it is. If you love your sibling for example then you should be entitled to a relationship. CONVERSELY, there's the religious side which I won't get in to [you'll burn in Hell OP :smile:]
Original post by barnetlad
I noticed that you do not quote your location. How is life in West Norfolk?

lol that explains all the locals with webbed feet and 6 fingers near me then
Reply 43
Original post by History-Student
<Insert biological reasons here>
<Insert religious reasons here>
<Insert "EWW, WTF YOU SICKO!" reasons here>

OP, if you want to shag a sibling/parent/cousin/etc. then you go for it. But it will never not be taboo.

No more posts need to be added to this thread. This guy nailed it bang on the head.
I'm sorry this has to be the dumbest thread in the short space of time iv been on the student room -.-
Reply 45
Original post by infernalcradle
if you had a recessive condition....there will be at least 1 person in the family who will have it....and as such, you would know....

or I suppose the responsible thing would be to get tested for such things before getting jiggy for kids :biggrin:

nah they might not

it's easy enough to test for certain mutations, but full genetic profiling to detect AR conditions is only a recent technology, expensive, and makes the pope do cartwheels (it was ok for the nazis to study eugenics however).
Because most people believe it messes around with the gene pool, although I think this is debated. Either way, the common perception is probably that it's generally err... a bit weird.
Reply 47
What the hell is with the reasons in this thread ? They all talk about children and genes :s-smilie: As if to say that having kids and sex are mutually inclusive when in modern day society they are the opposite, most of the time sex isn't leading to children these days. Lots of people on TSR talked about losing their virginity at ages like 14/15/16 in the virginity thread. You all telling me that children born to parents that age aren't messed up too ? Socially instead of biologically but still.

The reason incest is wrong is a psychological one. Even trying to think about a member of your family of the opposite sex having sex should bring up clashes in your mind. It's wrong because of the way family dynamics work. People grow up and develop psychosexually in certain ways. Siblings usually go through this together. There is a theory about Genetic sexual attraction that has shown many cases of family members e.g. mother and son who have not known each other while the child was growing up meeting and having sexual feelings towards each other. It's the way you develop with said person that leads to you not having sexual feelings for them.

Family dynamics are complicated. Most people wont admit it but they think about things like incest/peedophilia etc. however this is normal. Just by telling ourselves it's so wrong makes us think about doing it. Most people think about killing someone casually. It doesn't mean we actually want to do it or ever would. When you start becoming aroused or strongly consider doing incest (or necrophilia/pedaphilia etc.) is when you need to see a therapist.
Original post by Bektas
Wait, wait, since when?

I heard you can goto jail for masturbating in public, never mind ****ing.

You can?

Reply 49
Original post by Dekota-XS
Let me make something clear. There exists cultures in which two first cousins are married together and it's seen as perfectly normal. It doesn't happen alot in western society but it does happen especially in asian cultures. The biological arguments can be overlooked the same way it's overlooked for homosexual couples.

Let me make something else clear, what I wrote represents my opinion and my society's opinion. In some countries murderers walk free, it doesn't make it alright or anymore acceptable.
Although marriage between first cousins is legal, it's still considered incest and socially taboo.
Furthermore I don't think you can compare the openess of society towards more sexual things to incest.

Original post by Antonia87
Having sex in public isnt acceptable. If it was then that bus driver wouldnt have thrown us off...

Reply 51
Homosexuality is accepted in society, the couple cannot mate. Can't incessant couples do the same as homosexual couples and adopt a baby in the future if the desire of having a baby arises? I'm not talking about that kind of incest either. First cousin incest.

Well with homosexual couples there is no risk of them producing a child with genetic defects. With an incessant couple there is - and for that reason I think incest is wrong, for the sake of the child. The child shouldn't have to pay for his parents actions and suffer for the rest of his life.

Yes, logically an incessant couple could adopt, but unless they were sterilised then they would still run the risk of producing deformed babies.
Original post by Lintu93
Well with homosexual couples there is no risk of them producing a child with genetic defects. With an incessant couple there is - and for that reason I think incest is wrong, for the sake of the child. The child shouldn't have to pay for his parents actions and suffer for the rest of his life.

Yes, logically an incessant couple could adopt, but unless they were sterilised then they would still run the risk of producing deformed babies.

You don't produce deformed babies, I think this is a bit if a horror story! You just reduce the gene pool hence making it more likely for genetic abnormalities to become present.
If having sex in public places is acceptable, if having one night stands isn't frowned upon and if interracial relationships are acceptable these days then why hasn't society learnt to accept that incest does happen and will continue happening? Why is it such a taboo topic?

It is a taboo topic because over several thousands of years people have noticed that incestuous couples have children with genetic damage. The people, being ignorant, therefore assumed that God cursed incestuous relationships. Just as, over the same period, it was observed that people who ate pork became ill with digestive ailments more often than people who didn't, and they assumed that God had placed a curse on pig meat!

Nowadays we can separate sex from conception. We can also screen children for genetic damage. So there's no genetic reason not to enjoy sex with your Mother or Sister if you wish: and I hope you will. I can tell you that ALL boys have sexual fantasies about their Mothers, and that many Mothers have sexual fantasies about their sons. Don't be scared. Do it!

Jennie
Reply 54
Original post by Lintu93

What about two people with genetic problems? Or even just one of the people with a heterozygous dominant allele that causes genetic problems? We don't sterilise them, do we? Look at poor Jono here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12987504
Reply 55

/thread
Although first cousin relationships are not legally classed as incest they really mess up the gene pool. I have some distant relations on my dad's side of the family who like to "keep things in the family", and their families (after 2 or 3 generations of first cousin marriages) are now riddled with genetic mutations. The first kid born with a mutation had 6 fingers on each hand, 6 toes on each foot. The next had external kidneys and extra fingers/toes, the next kid had 8 fingers on one hand and 9 on the other! I'm sorry but if that isn't biologically incest then what is!
Reply 57

Need more justification?
Reply 58
Original post by HKDSP

Need more justification?

guy on the left is hot.:cool:

Original post by NGC773
Did you do Biology at GCSE?

You could say the same thing for people with genetic disorders having sex yet they're allowed to do so.

Double standards?

I have observed many things in this thread most pointing towards the pseudo-science of mutant children, simply shows a lack of scientific understanding doesn't it? All it causes is a higher frequency of genetic disorders, which are still at a low probability just a bit higher than normal.

Morally I see no reason for it as morality is relative hence arbitrary.

And for those who simply say "it's disgusting, desperate" well that doesn't count for anything now does it, you might as well refrain from posting in this thread with such meaningless banter.

Religious reasons; I was under the impression that Britain was a secular state and that law was based on reason not religion or traditional beliefs.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59
If having sex in public places is acceptable, if having one night stands isn't frowned upon and if interracial relationships are acceptable these days then why hasn't society learnt to accept that incest does happen and will continue happening? Why is it such a taboo topic?

The premise of this seems to be that because something happens and will continue to happen it should be acceptable to society; the problem with an argument like this is that it can be used to justify absolutely anything.

Domestic violence, rape, human trafficing, paedophillia all happen and will continue to happen so by logical extension of your reasoning society should accept them as normal too.

It simply doesn't work like that - society will always have things that, despite happening, it finds to be a complete afront to the values of the majority of people and for that reason it is taboo.

Should incest be taboo? Yes
Should it remain taboo? Yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending