The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I admire you so much for this. I 100% agree as well, making decisions to go into medicine at like 16/17 on two weeks work exp is a bit... scary. Medics on here have said that they think med entry should only be post grad and tbh I think I agree. But post grad is so expensive and competitive atm. :frown: I guess you mature at a really fast rate once you're actually at med school that you're ready to be a dr stuff quite early, but still, it happens all so quickly.

Thank you :smile: It really is a hard choice to make and I don't think a lot of people recognise this. Post grad is very competetive, but at least the students would hopefully be sure that medicine is for them and would have enough life experience to know what they are going into.
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Thank you :smile: It really is a hard choice to make and I don't think a lot of people recognise this. Post grad is very competetive, but at least the students would hopefully be sure that medicine is for them and would have enough life experience to know what they are going into.

Yeah, it's easy to forget how hard a choice it is to make because half the world wants to go to med school. :p:

Are you thinking that you're gonna defer or apply for the 2013 cycle?

If someone's gonna be a perfectionist they should at least do it right.
Reply 2243
Oh right, so avoiding pissing off the admissions tutor. :p: Gotcha.

Ok, if possible, I'm definitely going to open days.

+ Congrats on the offers btw! How you feeling about meeting them?

Exactly.
Thanks, sheffield shouldn't be too bad since im only 54 ums off the a in biology and chemistry and physics is already a b.
Cam is do-able, just a little worried about getting an a in physics. The a* I need isn't too hard in bio so that's fine.
problem is im still a bit too happy about the offers to revise:colondollar:
Original post by VaVe
Exactly.
Thanks, sheffield shouldn't be too bad since im only 54 ums off the a in biology and chemistry and physics is already a b.
Cam is do-able, just a little worried about getting an a in physics. The a* I need isn't too hard in bio so that's fine.

Have you already got A Level Chem or something?

From the sounds of it, you're well on track to at least meeting your insurance. If you're on a B atm without having done your last unit of Physics, your chance of getting an A overall seems quite high?

Aww, at least the offers aren't making you panic or anything. :smile: You'll be fine + results day is gonna be amazing!
Reply 2245
Original post by VaVe
Exactly.

Wow you've done amazingly well so far! Congrats on getting into Cambridge too :smile:
Reply 2246
Have you already got A Level Chem or something?

From the sounds of it, you're well on track to at least meeting your insurance. If you're on a B atm without having done your last unit of Physics, your chance of getting an A overall seems quite high?

Aww, at least the offers aren't making you panic or anything. :smile: You'll be fine + results day is gonna be amazing!

I haven't already got an a-level but from the combined ums of the modules so far I've already passed with a B
Original post by VaVe
I haven't already got an a-level but from the combined ums of the modules so far I've already passed with a B

Ah right, is your Sheff offer ABB?
Original post by liviaaa
Okay :smile: For me though, I don't think I'd apply - though I can see it's possible. I'm one of these perfectionist people and if I can't enter something with the best chance I can give my self, I'd prefer to try out for something else. Just me. :smile:

Also, for places like B'ham they say they favour students who have cashed in good AS grades. After all, they are half the grade - so I don't see why I'd suddenly go to getting all A's in A level, from not at AS, then not being able to accept your firm offer (if you got one) as you can't resit the final A2 modules!

Sorry I way over think this stuff. :erm:

Don't appologuise lol I used to be perfctionist but I've now learnt not to be (except in things I obsess over :rolleyes:) If you didn't get the grades, you could always apply after you got the grades if they went up, but you need to be boaderline for that to happen. Hopefully you'll get all A's though :smile:
Reply 2249
Ah right, is your Sheff offer ABB?

AAB but bio and chem are pretty close to A's at the minute.

Original post by liviaaa
Wow you've done amazingly well so far! Congrats on getting into Cambridge too :smile:

Thanks, I'm still in shock but extremely happy. It's all a bit surreal but it is distracting me from revision, which isn't good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, it's easy to forget how hard a choice it is to make because half the world wants to go to med school. :p:

Are you thinking that you're gonna defer or apply for the 2013 cycle?

Oh i'm going to apply for the 2013 cycle. At first I was going to apply for deferred entry this year but then I thought the reason I am taking this gap year is to see if medicine is for me.

What about you?
Oh i'm going to apply for the 2013 cycle. At first I was going to apply for deferred entry this year but then I thought the reason I am taking this gap year is to see if medicine is for me.

What about you?

I would seriously consider applying for deffered entry this year, then take a gap year. It is so hard to get a place for medicine, its best to have two shots at it. Even if you do get an offer this year for defered entry you dont have to take it if you decide after your gap year medicine isnt for you. You may end up taking the gap year and decide that you really want to do medicine, and apply then not get a place, then youve got to wait another year and have another gap year. It just an option. Xx
Reply 2252
What's a deffered entry? :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
What's a deffered entry? :smile:

For normal entry you would usually apply this year for a place for 2012....however defered entry is where you apply this year for a place in 2013. Xx
Reply 2254
Original post by lemontang1
For normal entry you would usually apply this year for a place for 2012....however defered entry is where you apply this year for a place in 2013. Xx

Oh okay thanks!
Because I want to make sure medicine is for me. I don't want to make a choice that will affect me for the rest of my life and it be the wrong one.

I was speaking to a GP and he was saying that a lot of doctors he comes across are not happy people, they like the idea of the job but not the job itself. Here is an example, they like the thought of caring for people but in reality most people are so ungrateful that you begin to hate the job.

The GP also said that because we are so young (I'm 17) we have to make our choices early for university and are at risk of making the wrong choice that will affect us for life. He said that back in his day he would worry about that stuff when he was 21.

So in my gap year I want to get actual clinical experience like volunteering in a hospital or working as a phlebotomist so I can experience the atmosphere that I would be around a lot if I choose medicine and if it really is right for me. I also need a break from education, because in a career like medicine, there is no break!

Oh right that makes sense! You definetly don't want to waste 5 years doing something you don't really want.
A break from education is a good idea, its been a long old slog haha
How many of you are applying to Oxbridge?
Original post by itsrayray:)
Oh right that makes sense! You definetly don't want to waste 5 years doing something you don't really want.
A break from education is a good idea, its been a long old slog haha

It really is. I wish I had done so :frown:

What about you?

Yeah, that's true. You'll have more to talk about at interviews for 2013 cycle as well.

I really don't know.. I'm thinking of deferred but I don't like year 11s the thought of living at home for another makes me :afraid: and I don't know where I'd go otherwise. Back when I enjoyed French I used to want to au pair for a year but I've been rapidly going off French this school year.

Tbh, I'd more or less forgotten all thoughts of a gap year until just recently when I started revision and the thought of going to uni for more education straight after sixth form makes me feel kinda sick. :p: My ideal after sixth form jobs would be: some kind of lab assistant, or working for a small and local charity, or working in one of those school trip escape places... I dunno what they're called. Like Robinwood and stuff. But not going to uni just to have a full time job? Not much of a break. And I can imagine getting caught up in the routine of a job and just never leaving. If I manage to find good gap year ideas I might opt for deferred but otherwise I'm just going to apply for 2012 entry.
I'm actually qualifying as an internation student, which means it's going to be really hard for me :sad:

Latest

Trending

Trending