The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

might be a stupid question but to all the people saying they're taking up further maths next year, how does that work on your application?
Original post by tateco
Welcome to the thread :P Just out of interest why those three universities? :smile:

Thank you :smile:

My choices are based on the fact that the top Unis for Econ&Management are Oxford and Bristol, and my choice of Durham is because I'd quite like to combine Economics with an other subject for Uni (maybe Human Geography or Politics). However, I am having my doubts about Durham - I've heard they're borderline GCSE Nazis - not good news for me! :frown:

I must concede that I have done little research so far. However, I think that if I get the grades I want at AS, I'll aim for 3 Top Unis and 2 Mediums. Or maybe I'll only aim for some high-ranking Unis and apply for Gap Year Placements (in case worst comes to worst), and re-apply the next year with some extra AS-Levels (maybe Further Maths and re-take the subjects I failed at).

Have you got any advice on picking Unis? Choosing Top Unis isn't that difficult but there is no obvious method to choosing a Medium or Low-ranking Uni...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 442
Original post by tripleeagle

My choices are based on the fact that the top Unis for Econ&Management are Oxford and Bristol, and my choice of Durham is because I'd quite like to combine Economics with an other subject for Uni (maybe Human Geography or Politics). However, I am having my doubts about Durham - I've heard they're borderline GCSE Nazis - not good news for me! :frown:

I must concede that I have done little research so far. However, I think that if I get the grades I want at AS, I'll aim for 3 Top Unis and 2 Mediums. Or maybe I'll only aim for some high-ranking Unis and apply for Gap Year Placements (in case worst comes to worst), and re-apply the next year with some extra AS-Levels (maybe Further Maths and re-take the subjects I failed at).

Have you got any advice on picking Unis? Choosing Top Unis isn't that difficult but there is no obvious method to choosing a Medium or Low-ranking Uni...

I've heard Durham like 5 A*s (I'm in the same situation as you for GCSEs but I noticed from your sig that you go to a state school in London? As of 2012 universities will be encouraged to take into account the performance of the school when considering GCSE and A-level grades which should help people like us!)

I have exactly the same strategy as you with regards for aiming high and having a back up plan :P

It is difficult to pick medium universities, especially when you know you are capable of doing well at the best institutions. I think it's best to adopt the thought process of 'will I actually want to go there' when deciding on options. There's no point in getting an offer for a university you're not really that bothered about (unless you don't really care where you end up)
Reply 443
Original post by alittlehelp
might be a stupid question but to all the people saying they're taking up further maths next year, how does that work on your application?

I'm not too sure actually, it would be good to know this. I don't know if you can put it down in your predicted grade section or if it has to be mentioned in your reference. If you don't get a response on here try posting in the 'Applications and UCAS' section, don't forget to report back though :P I want to know aswell.
Reply 444

If you're struggling to pick a university below the top institutions, you should focus on your tendency to like the feel of the university. Check out the campus, the department and the city and you'll get an overall feel for what it's like to study there for three years. Obviously you want to go somewhere which has a highly-acclaimed course, but once you get past a certain 'rank' they are all too similar.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tateco
I'm not too sure actually, it would be good to know this. I don't know if you can put it down in your predicted grade section or if it has to be mentioned in your reference. If you don't get a response on here try posting in the 'Applications and UCAS' section, don't forget to report back though :P I want to know aswell.

I will don't worry, hoping somebody here knows cos I've always wondered!
Reply 446
I will don't worry, hoping somebody here knows cos I've always wondered!

Great, beacuse i wanna know this tooo
Original post by tateco
I've heard Durham like 5 A*s (I'm in the same situation as you for GCSEs but I noticed from your sig that you go to a state school in London? As of 2012 universities will be encouraged to take into account the performance of the school when considering GCSE and A-level grades which should help people like us!)

I have exactly the same strategy as you with regards for aiming high and having a back up plan :P

It is difficult to pick medium universities, especially when you know you are capable of doing well at the best institutions. I think it's best to adopt the thought process of 'will I actually want to go there' when deciding on options. There's no point in getting an offer for a university you're not really that bothered about (unless you don't really care where you end up)

Unfortunately I took my GCSEs while at a private school! Although my A-Levels will all be taken at a state school so that might help, as you say :smile:

I definitely think it's a good idea to apply only to Unis which I would want to go to if I get an offer instead of just trying to 'fill spaces' in my UCAS application - otherwise they're just wasted applications.

It seems like everybody is taking Further Maths as an AS beside all their other A2s. I'd considered doing this at one point but thought it might be a bit of a challenge alongside 4 other A2s :/ Now I'm really unsure as to whether I should try FM or not...
Original post by Groat
If you're struggling to pick a university below the top institutions, you should focus on your tendency to like the feel of the university. Check out the campus, the department and the city and you'll get an overall feel for what it's like to study there for three years. Obviously you want to go somewhere which has a highly-acclaimed course, but once you get past a certain 'rank' they are all too similar.

That's a good idea :smile: I'll try to find a list of medium Unis and just go through those.
Reply 449
Unfortunately I took my GCSEs while at a private school! Although my A-Levels will all be taken at a state school so that might help, as you say :smile:

I definitely think it's a good idea to apply only to Unis which I would want to go to if I get an offer instead of just trying to 'fill spaces' in my UCAS application - otherwise they're just wasted applications.

It seems like everybody is taking Further Maths as an AS beside all their other A2s. I'd considered doing this at one point but thought it might be a bit of a challenge alongside 4 other A2s :/ Now I'm really unsure as to whether I should try FM or not...

Ah, I'm sure it won't matter that much :smile:

You have to remember that TSR is not representative of all economics applicants and I'm sure there aren't that many people doing further maths. I'm only going to do 3 A2's and an AS in further maths (I don't see the point in me doing four, if I do an extra one it will be Biology which isn't relevant and places like Warwick include the fourth A2 in the offer if you do it). You also want to do a combined course with management meaning there will be slightly less emphasis on having further maths.
Reply 450
I've heard Further Maths is pretty liked by certain universities. Some aren't as bothered as other universities though.
Original post by Hemzo
I've heard Further Maths is pretty liked by certain universities. Some aren't as bothered as other universities though.

LSE Economics is so Maths-based (practically Econometrics) that they almost require you to have FM...or so I hear :tongue:

I'm still considering it. I might just take 3 A2s plus FM AS
Original post by tateco

I was told you just enter it as a Pending AS grade, just as you will for the A2s you havent done yet.
So that answers the question i guess?
Reply 453
I was told you just enter it as a Pending AS grade, just as you will for the A2s you havent done yet.
So that answers the question i guess?

Ah thought so, not too difficult then! :P
Reply 454
I've got a bit of a dilema.. As some of you guys may know I've pretty much got my heart set on trying to get into Warwick. My sixth form didn't offer Further Maths as an A-level until I reach my A2 year, where all the AS Maths students who exceeded at AS Maths get the choice to take it as another AS.

Basically on Warwick's website, it says this: A*AA - AAA +a B or above in 4th subject at AS or A2 or in the extended project. Candiates who offer Further Maths are expected to offer a minimum of 4 subjects (to include Maths) at A2 level.

So is it basically saying to me I need 4 A2 subjects alongside my AS Further Maths (if I take it) to study at Warwick?
If so.. I guess it's basically saying that I'd be better off not studying Further maths?
Original post by Hemzo
I've got a bit of a dilema.. As some of you guys may know I've pretty much got my heart set on trying to get into Warwick. My sixth form didn't offer Further Maths as an A-level until I reach my A2 year, where all the AS Maths students who exceeded at AS Maths get the choice to take it as another AS.

Basically on Warwick's website, it says this: A*AA - AAA +a B or above in 4th subject at AS or A2 or in the extended project. Candiates who offer Further Maths are expected to offer a minimum of 4 subjects (to include Maths) at A2 level.

So is it basically saying to me I need 4 A2 subjects alongside my AS Further Maths (if I take it) to study at Warwick?
If so.. I guess it's basically saying that I'd be better off not studying Further maths?

No I think it includes the further maths. So including your further maths, there should 4 subjects altogether.

They may, for example, make an offer of AAAa. This would mean you need 3 A's in your 3 A levels, and an A in AS further maths :smile:
Reply 456
Original post by Hemzo

Not at all, as Jamie said above. This means that further maths should be taken alongside three other A2s at A2 level or only to AS level alongside three other AS levels (or more, it doesn't matter). So basically you can't have Maths, Further Maths and Economics to A2 but Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Further maths (AS or A2) would be sufficient.
Reply 457
Cheers guys! Muchly appreciated, reckon FM is worth taking for boosting my chances to study there?
Reply 458
Original post by Hemzo
Cheers guys! Muchly appreciated, reckon FM is worth taking for boosting my chances to study there?

Definitely (I should really be telling you not to do it because that's my strategy and competition isn't good in this case, but I'm too kind :wink: )
Does anyone here have any idea as to whether full Further Maths gives more of an advantage than just AS Further Maths for Top Unis? I'm not planning on dropping it but I'm just wondering if the extra effort (for example, the way my school does it, I'm doing C3 this year) is worth it.