The Student Room Group

Why is incest so taboo?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emaemmaemily
Yeah... Did you not pay attention in Biology?
Incest is wrong because it's actually dangerous for any children that occur from it... It can create deformities...

Is that the only reason?
If so, would that mean incest is acceptable if the couple knows that they won't have children?
Think about having sex with your brother/sister/parent. Repulsed? That's why incest is taboo...
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
Think about having sex with your brother/sister/parent. Repulsed? That's why incest is taboo...

What if the answer to that question is no?
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo

But people are often repulsed by different stuff.
Personally I am repulsed by watersports / scat. Yet I don't think they should be illegal.
Reply 124
It is social conditioning that leads people to believe that such an idea of incest is repulsive, had we have grown in a different generation, the idea of incest would maybe even be considered normal. There is a difference between sexual intercourse and making love, there is a difference between having sexual intercourse for human needs and having it to express love to someone.
because there are health implications for the offspring. and the fact you are of the same blood, it's kinda weird.
Reply 126
Original post by inksplodge
because there are health implications for the offspring. and the fact you are of the same blood, it's kinda weird.

We are all linked by the seven daughters of Eve, doesn't that make having sex with each other kinda weird?
Original post by tazarooni89
Is that the only reason?
If so, would that mean incest is acceptable if the couple knows that they won't have children?

I already answered that earlier in the thread.
Original post by Dekota-XS
We are all linked by the seven daughters of Eve, doesn't that make having sex with each other kinda weird?

^Religion says that... Evolution doesn't.
And VERY distant relatives isn't bad because the similarities in blood are so minute, there is no issue.
Reply 129
^Religion says that... Evolution doesn't.
And VERY distant relatives isn't bad because the similarities in blood are so minute, there is no issue.

Does knowing that Prince William and Kate Middleton may be blood related change your views about the royal wedding?
cos that shiit nasssty!

Am I the only one who expected the OP's profile to say 'Location: Norfolk'?
Original post by Dekota-XS
Does knowing that Prince William and Kate Middleton may be blood related change your views about the royal wedding?

It depends how closely related, to be honest. As I've said, very distant blood relationships aren't an issue.
Reply 133
What the hell? Incest? For God sake,noooooo.....bljak!
I already answered that earlier in the thread.

I see. You gave this as the answer:
It's still not right if they don't have children in my opinion. Being sexually attracted to someone is part of our natural way to "choose" a mate FOR having children, so it is unnatural to do so with a family member.

I wonder, how can you say this, while also claiming that:
Gay people having sex IS natual.

How can it be natural for gay people to have sex if the natural purpose of choosing a sexual partner is to have children?
If it is unnatural to choose a family member as a sexual partner because of this, surely it is also unnatural to choose a member of your own gender as you as a sexual partner, since no children could possibly result from such a union?
(edited 12 years ago)
I see. You gave this as the answer:

I wonder, how can you say this, while also claiming that:

How can it be natural for gay people to have sex if the natural purpose of choosing a sexual partner is to have children?

Ok I'll say it a different way.
Because of the possibility of creating mutated chilrdren (because in nature, condoms don't exist), it is unnatural to be attracted to a member of your family.
It is still natural to be attracted to a member of the same sex.
Ok I'll say it a different way.
Because of the possibility of creating mutated chilrdren (because in nature, condoms don't exist), it is unnatural to be attracted to a member of your family.
It is still natural to be attracted to a member of the same sex.

What do you mean by "natural"?
How have you decided that being attracted to a member of the same sex is "natural" rather than "unnatural"?

Also, do you think it is unnatural for a man to be attracted to a woman over the age of 40, because of the higher risk of birth defects?
If so, do you think it is wrong for a man to have sex with a woman of this age?
Reply 137
The trouble is that so often incest is between an older family member and an exploited younger which is utterly unacceptable and rightly taboo. Although in a sense i agree with you when its concerns consenting adults, other than moral objections the main reason people oppose such relations is because of the issue of birth defects from any resulting offspring. But one could agrue that, since we do not legislate against people with hereditory illnesses or disabilities reproducing, this is a redundent arguement against incest.

I know that this is a contraversial perspective to put across and no i am not incestuous =) but i thought i would put this forward for the sake of argument.
Incest? You mean: WINCEST :borat:
What do you mean by "natural"?
How have you decided that being attracted to a member of the same sex is "natural" rather than "unnatural"?

Also, do you think it is unnatural for a man to be attracted to a woman over the age of 40, because of the higher risk of birth defects?
If so, do you think it is wrong for a man to have sex with a woman of this age?

I really can't be bothered with knit-picking all of my beliefs.

Yes, it is natural for people to be attracted to the same sex... It's just a known fact. It's always happened throughout history, and it's causes no problems to anyone.
When I say it's unnatural for close family relations to be attracted to one another, I don't mean I THINK it's unnatural, I mean it is. That's why most of us aren't attracted to our family memebers in that way, it's natures way of controlling it.
I have never been attracted to a family member... and I was starting to feel "that way" in general long before I knew what "incest" was, and that it was illegal.

The risks of a 40 year old woman having pregnancy complications are a lot lower than the bad risks within incest. It's not very comparable.
It's still natural for a woman to have children until the point that she has menopause (which is natures way of stopping it because it would cause problems).

I really don't want to talk in-depth about my personal opinions anymore though... I came to give my opinion like everyone else, but I didn't want a long discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending