The Student Room Group

Why is incest so taboo?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TomInce6666
Assuming all child protection laws are still adhered to etc... I personally cant find a problem with incestuous relationships between two consenting adults as long as biological offspring are not produced. Right now thats the only side of the argument that is logical to me.

Not that it doesnt gross me out to a massive extent.

I agree with you but what happens if the the birth control fails, or if they drunkenly have sex or whatever... would it be justified of the state to a force an abortion on them?
Original post by im so academic.
What if the answer to that question is no?

Maybe it's just me but I don't know why the answer would ever be no :L
Reply 142
Suddenly now that the topic is about incest, the aim of sex has suddenly become reproduction where as were this thread about promiscuity nowadays, the aim of sex would be personal pleasure. Strange how that works.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Yes, it is natural for people to be attracted to the same sex... It's just a known fact. It's always happened throughout history, and it's causes no problems to anyone.

The same could be said about incest (without children).

Incest (first-cousin marriage especially) has happened throughout history too, and still does happen. And if children aren't involved, that doesn't cause problems to anyone either.

When I say it's unnatural for close family relations to be attracted to one another, I don't mean I THINK it's unnatural, I mean it is. That's why most of us aren't attracted to our family memebers in that way, it's natures way of controlling it. I have never been attracted to a family member... and I was starting to feel "that way" in general long before I knew what "incest" was, and that it was illegal.

And the same thing could be said about homosexuality too. Most of us aren't attracted to the same gender in that way either.

I started noticing that I was only ever attracted to girls and not to boys long before I knew what homosexuality was.

The risks of a 40 year old woman having pregnancy complications are a lot lower than the bad risks within incest. It's not very comparable.
It's still natural for a woman to have children until the point that she has menopause (which is natures way of stopping it because it would cause problems).

This is not true.
"In April 2002, the Journal of Genetic Counseling released a report which estimated the average risk of birth defects in a child born of first cousins at 1.7–2.8% over an average base risk for non-cousin couples of 3%, or about the same as that of any woman over age 40."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/theres-nothing-wrong-with-cousins-getting-married-scientists-say-1210072.html

I really don't want to talk in-depth about my personal opinions anymore though... I came to give my opinion like everyone else, but I didn't want a long discussion.

Fair enough. I was just wondering if you had really thought this all through before forming these opinions, and whether you had based these opinions on consistent, logical arguments rather than on emotion or the instinct that incest is "yucky".
Original post by Dekota-XS
If having sex in public places is acceptable, if having one night stands isn't frowned upon and if interracial relationships are acceptable these days then why hasn't society learnt to accept that incest does happen and will continue happening? Why is it such a taboo topic?

Sounds like someone wants to legitimise banging their sister.

It's taboo because you don't FANCY siblings or parents because it is not natural, it would mess with the gene pool and the potential for unhealthy children.
One night stands have no potential for this and neither do interracial relationships because you are exploring the gene pool so to speak.
Original post by ÇaBaigne_29
Sounds like someone wants to legitimise banging their sister.

It's taboo because you don't FANCY siblings or parents because it is not natural, it would mess with the gene pool and the potential for unhealthy children.
One night stands have no potential for this and neither do interracial relationships because you are exploring the gene pool so to speak.

What about distant cousins? I thought that's more what incest dealt with, rather than direct family.
Original post by tazarooni89
The same could be said about incest (without children).

Incest (first-cousin marriage especially) has happened throughout history too, and still does happen. And if children aren't involved, that doesn't cause problems to anyone either.

And the same thing could be said about homosexuality too. Most of us aren't attracted to the same gender in that way either.

I started noticing that I was only ever attracted to girls and not to boys long before I knew what homosexuality was.

This is not true.
"In April 2002, the Journal of Genetic Counseling released a report which estimated the average risk of birth defects in a child born of first cousins at 1.7–2.8% over an average base risk for non-cousin couples of 3%, or about the same as that of any woman over age 40."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/theres-nothing-wrong-with-cousins-getting-married-scientists-say-1210072.html

Fair enough. I was just wondering if you had really thought this all through before forming these opinions, and whether you had based these opinions on consistent, logical arguments rather than on emotion or the instinct that incest is "yucky".

It's not about incest being "yucky". Clearly I just view things differently to you.

I'm not talking just about 1st cousins...
There are a lot more gay people than those attracted to close family members... It's very common. Incest isn't, not even close in comparison.

But clearly, we have different views, and I'd rather not discuss it much further (I supposed to be doing my essay, and am easily distracted lol).
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I agree with you but what happens if the the birth control fails, or if they drunkenly have sex or whatever... would it be justified of the state to a force an abortion on them?

That's a good point. But surely there are some cases in which, regardles of birth control, it isn't even possible to have children?
For example the couple may be gay. Or they might be infertile. They might already be too old to have children. They might have had a hysterectomy or vasectomy.

I agree that condoms etc. are not enough to guarantee that no children will be produced in an incestuous relationship, but there are other ways of doing this.
Original post by tazarooni89
That's a good point. But surely there are some cases in which, regardles of birth control, it isn't even possible to have children?
For example the couple may be gay. Or they might be infertile. They might already be too old to have children. They might have had a hysterectomy or vasectomy.

I agree that condoms etc. are not enough to guarantee that no children will be produced in an incestuous relationship, but there are other ways of doing this.

Oh, yeah, I'm not questioning that a sexual relationship without the risk of children is or isn't morally condemnable, I'm questioning the level of paternalism the state is entitled to.

What do you think? And what if an incestuous couple stand up one day and say "actually, it's my body, and I want to have a child. Disabled people can, criminals can, why shouldn't I?". Could the state lock them up to stop them from having sex? How would it work?
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
Maybe it's just me but I don't know why the answer would ever be no :L

Well, maybe because some people aren't repulsed by the thought. Pretty simple really.

It's not about incest being "yucky". Clearly I just view things differently to you.

There are a lot more gay people than those attracted to close family members... It's very common. Incest isn't, not even close in comparison.

But clearly, we have different views, and I'd rather not discuss it much further (I supposed to be doing my essay, and am easily distracted lol).

How do you know this?
- Homosexuality is not illegal - incest is illegal, thus there are more 'out' homosexuals then there are people who are attracted to their family.
-A homosexual will most likely not be shunned by his family if he came out, where as someone who is into incest would be.
-Homosexuals have more choice of partner as there are hundreds of millions of homosexuals. Nobody has hundreds of millions of family members.
-Incest can just be sex. It doesn't have to affect who you marry, and really doesn't have to involve anyone but the people involved. Homosexuality isn't just sex. Not saying you cant have a ****buddy if you're gay, but chances are you aren't going to marry a member oof the sane sex and so people are going to know at some point. As mentioned before, noone need ever know about 'just sex' bar the people involved.
I don't know why either, me and my sister are getting along VERY well :wink:
Well, maybe because some people aren't repulsed by the thought. Pretty simple really.

How do you know this?
- Homosexuality is not illegal - incest is illegal, thus there are more 'out' homosexuals then there are people who are attracted to their family.
-A homosexual will most likely not be shunned by his family if he came out, where as someone who is into incest would be.
-Homosexuals have more choice of partner as there are hundreds of millions of homosexuals. Nobody has hundreds of millions of family members.
-Incest can just be sex. It doesn't have to affect who you marry, and really doesn't have to involve anyone but the people involved. Homosexuality isn't just sex. Not saying you cant have a ****buddy if you're gay, but chances are you aren't going to marry a member oof the sane sex and so people are going to know at some point. As mentioned before, noone need ever know about 'just sex' bar the people involved.

^^ Read what I put, I don't want further discussion. Find someone else to annoy.
^^ Read what I put, I don't want further discussion. Find someone else to annoy.

Not really about annoying anybody, just about getting my point across. You didn't have to bother replying..
Not really about annoying anybody, just about getting my point across. You didn't have to bother replying..

Or, you could have read what I said on more than one post about not wanting to talk anymore, and actually respected that.
I'm going to stop following this thread, again. Please don't send me something else.
Reply 154
Those saying incest is genetically bad full stop need to go to uni and do a biology related course. What they don't teach you in GCSE's/whatever is that is equally possible to pass down recessive non-lethal genes that are actually beneficial although not many exist.

Obviously siblings mating is quite bad, but after a generation or so a Hardy-weinburg equilibrium is established and its basically like mating with anothe member of the general public.
If I was wrong tribes would not survive due to inbreeding, but they do.

On a side note...barely passing 1st exams in a few weeks ftw!
Reply 155
Original post by skeanos
Those saying incest is genetically bad full stop need to go to uni and do a biology related course. What they don't teach you in GCSE's/whatever is that is equally possible to pass down recessive non-lethal genes that are actually beneficial although not many exist.

Obviously siblings mating is quite bad, but after a generation or so a Hardy-weinburg equilibrium is established and its basically like mating with anothe member of the general public.
If I was wrong tribes would not survive due to inbreeding, but they do.

On a side note...barely passing 1st exams in a few weeks ftw!

Excellent post, would rep if I could.
Or, you could have read what I said on more than one post about not wanting to talk anymore, and actually respected that.
I'm going to stop following this thread, again. Please don't send me something else.

You said that and then continued to post, which is the one I replied to. Now stop responding to me. Thanks.
Reply 157

It's not common = so therefore wrong. Good argument :rolleyes:

Just admit that you feel this way because you are prejudiced. You have no rational reason for it, and you cannot explain why or how you feel this way.

The quicker people recognise and accept they have prejudices, the world would be a better place.
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
What do you think? And what if an incestuous couple stand up one day and say "actually, it's my body, and I want to have a child. Disabled people can, criminals can, why shouldn't I?". Could the state lock them up to stop them from having sex? How would it work?

I don't think that the state of a liberal government could do that kind of thing. The best they could do is educate people on the risks of incestuous couples producing children, and then leave it to the couple to decide whether or not it is worth taking that risk. After all, incestuous relationships can also result in perfectly healthy children too.

If the couple ends up producing a child with genetic disorders, they took the risk, so they now have to deal with it, and help the child to deal with it.
Original post by Stefan1991
It's not common = so therefore wrong. Good argument :rolleyes:

Just admit that you feel this way because you are prejudiced. You have no rational reason for it, and you cannot explain why or how you feel this way.

The quicker people recognise and accept they have prejudices, the world would be a better place.

If you read what I said, I said I'm against it because it UNNATURAL, not because it's uncommon. You took that quote out of context.
It's not about prejudices, not in this instance.

I swear people can't read though. It's really annoying people carrying on quoting me when I keep trying to leave.
Please stop. Argue your point with someone who's up for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending