The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Firm-ers! 2011 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by 04smitht
Aren't the grades the same/higher for Cam though?

Yeah they're actually higher :lol: but yeah I just couldn't reject the offer. The people at that college were actually quite nice. Tbf though if I don't get 3 A's I don't deserve to be in med school. And also there may be a slim possibility that Cambridge might let me in if say I got A*A*B. Depends on just how far off I am. They actually just sent me a letter saying that.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 281
Original post by knit-knots
Argh...just found lots of typos in my reply :angry:
Oh, I put Astor, too. Hmm...I agree, it's big, friendly and close to everything. However, I want a single room so I put my max. cost as #142. I put that as my priority, too. =] I'm not sure as it costs 140 pounds to occupy a single room in Astor so you'd probs be put in a shared room. Argh that's a shame, I turn 19 next year so I'm more likely than you. What have you applied for by the way? =]

BA History of Art. What about you?

The UCL accommodation booklet for 2011 entry says a single in Astor is £119.28, but most of the others near the main campus are £140. I hope they don't change the prices...
Reply 282
Original post by arcl
Since I live in Astor:

The gym is just a gym - no weights etc. Just some basketball hoops and lines for various sports on the floor, not too dissimilar to your school gym. Just clarifying.

There aren't many shared rooms in Astor, with the exception of ground floor (which are self contained flats only) and possibly 7th, the rest of the floors I think have 1 double room and 1 flat, though don't hold me to that. Majority of the rooms are single rooms, majority of the residents will be 18 when you move in (Though I seemingly live with quite a few gap year-ers as well).

There are many people who I live with who turn 19 while they're living in halls and they're in single rooms. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point.

That's good to know about the gym, and the lack of shared rooms there is a good sign. I put on the form that I didn't want to share, so hopefully I should get a single.
Thanks for the info.
Original post by verity :)
BA History of Art. What about you?

The UCL accommodation booklet for 2011 entry says a single in Astor is £119.28, but most of the others near the main campus are £140. I hope they don't change the prices...

Hmm...I put 142 down as I prefer Schafer, Tattersall and Tovell over Astor, but I wouldn't mind going there. =]
Russian Studies BA =]
Reply 284
Original post by 04smitht
A cheeky thread for all the people clicking that magical FIRM button on their UCL application for next year's entry! And who are truly buzzin' for London. Post your course, offer and general banter about UCL.

If you're gonna create a thread like this, can you at least input all the firmers at the start of the thread so people know who's firming and for which course?
Reply 285
Original post by Rofl
If you're gonna create a thread like this, can you at least input all the firmers at the start of the thread so people know who's firming and for which course?

Haven't got the time babe. :frown: Obviously not down with thread etiquette! Also a bit drunk. Soz. If you'd like to make a list and PM me it I'd be most grateful. But otherwise no. Soz bud. :smile:
Reply 286
Original post by Rofl

good idea
Reply 287
Hi, how hard is it to get in to UCL for law, what GCSE grades i be looking at for a competitive application.
Reply 288
Original post by D.V.Evans
Hi, how hard is it to get in to UCL for law, what GCSE grades i be looking at for a competitive application.

Good GCSE gardes, AS, A2 prediction, personal statement, reference and LNAT. 6A*s+ to be competitive, depending on your school though...
Original post by Gubey
Thanks so much! Yeah I saw in the draft for 2011 modules that there did seem to be a lack of bredth in the modules offered, especially in ancient history. I'm not so big on linguistics so I may stay away from that module, I was thinking either to do the Greek Myth and Roman Life and Thought, or to go into the history departement and do the ancient greek history course about Alexander and pre-Hellenistic times, did anyone do that? what did they think of it?

Greek Myth = amazing
Roman Life & Thought = huge waste of your time. It's pretty much a DIY module. If that's your thing, go for it, if not, back off.

I don't know if anyone did that - be aware not every history course may actually be an option to you, even if they claim it does. The draft is a big lie hahaha. It's a great department though, so what it can lack in variety, it makes up in solid teaching. A LOT of people choose modules by lecturers NOT by content. I recommend anything by Stephen Colvin, Fiachra MacGorain and Matthew Hiscock. They are three brilliantly fascinating lecturers.
Reply 290
just firmed for engineering with business finance :smile: college hall anyone? o>O
Reply 291
Are you guys having exams this time around? I sat my first exam today (written one, Spanish), got a 2 unofficially (which is not that bad regarding the fact it accounts for one third of the overall grade, so I have not lost a chance to get a 1) and have 9 others to do.
Hoping to do law next year, BUT can't decide between catered or non-catered accomedation, what do people think about each??
Reply 293
Original post by erasethisworld
Greek Myth = amazing
Roman Life & Thought = huge waste of your time. It's pretty much a DIY module. If that's your thing, go for it, if not, back off.

I don't know if anyone did that - be aware not every history course may actually be an option to you, even if they claim it does. The draft is a big lie hahaha. It's a great department though, so what it can lack in variety, it makes up in solid teaching. A LOT of people choose modules by lecturers NOT by content. I recommend anything by Stephen Colvin, Fiachra MacGorain and Matthew Hiscock. They are three brilliantly fascinating lecturers.

Thank you so much for the help! I think I will wait and see what the history modules on offer are as I quite fancy a bit of history if I can fit it in. Also, what do you mean by a DIY module? As in you don't get taught and have to do all the work yourself? And is there any pre-reading or useful things I should get to help with these modules?
Reply 294
After weeks tormenting my mind between Warwick and UCL, I just firmed UCL for Bsc Economics L100 a few seconds ago.
Are there anyone in the same course in this thread? Nice to meet you all :biggrin:
Original post by daftndirekt

Original post by daftndirekt
I've firmed an MSci in Medical Physics!

Cool! Me too... what conditions are they asking for?
Reply 296
Re: The UCL accomodation thread
Hi everyone!

Next year, I will be studying an MA European Culture at UCL. However, I'm from Belgium and am still looking for student accommodation. Since the UCL halls of residence seem too unpersonal to me, I would love to share a flat in central London (tube zone 1 or 2) with some other students/young professionals. I have found some sites where the landlord rents out individual rooms in a flat, on the condition that all rooms are rented at once to a student group.
Therefore, please let me know if you're interested in sharing for next academic year, starting something like June, July or August 2011. I will be looking for rooms of about 150 pounds a week.

I'd love to hear from you guys!

Kind regards,

Margot
Reply 297
Firmed Chemistry BSc.
Original post by Gubey
Thank you so much for the help! I think I will wait and see what the history modules on offer are as I quite fancy a bit of history if I can fit it in. Also, what do you mean by a DIY module? As in you don't get taught and have to do all the work yourself? And is there any pre-reading or useful things I should get to help with these modules?

Yeah, the teaching is very vague. (At least the lecturer this year was). They basically said to us 'you get to entirely choose your second question yourself'. Which is great if you already have a passion in one area of roman life - but hard if you don't. If you ever want to PM me on here, I'll answer as quickly as I can about anything to do with modules and the department - as best as I can anyway! Obviously since I did AWS, it's a little different to Classics. You're only going to have 1 unit you get to choose yourself in the first year (4 units overall, you'll have to do 1 of Greek, 1 of Latin, 0.5 Latin Lit and 0.5 greek lit).

As for pre-reading, I'd say you'll be fine with none, but it's worth just skimming the 'classics'. Be aware of the myths in both, be aware of key poets/orators, Pliny, Cicero etc. It will definitely HELP you if you know these things. But they aren't a necessity. All I can say is when you arrive, you'll have to do a test where they judge your capability in Greek and Latin. So don't let your languages slide over summer! Revise them over this summer, you'll do better in the test, they'll put you into a higher starting class.
Reply 299
Anyone know when orientation starts? On the site it says term starts on 26th September, but is there a Freshers week first?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending