The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gedungading
Hey all!! :smile: Hoping to apply for med for 2012 entry, so worried LOL!!

I was hoping if my GCSE's are any good enough:
7A*s, 3Bs ... AND A BIG FAT D!!! I'm scared the D might just bring me down. I got the Bs in History, RE and IT. Got the D in German (we didn't have a teacher for the whole second year due to teacher shortage!!)

Also, done some GP shadowing, got some hospital shadowing lined up for the summer hols, I've organised and led some fundraising, volunteered in a charity shop and in a few weeks about to start volunteering in a hospital helping patients. There's loads i can already talk about these stuff to put on my personal statement...
Predicted 4 As at AS Level ( in Bio, Chem, Maths & Phys)
Hoping to apply for KCL, Southampton, Nottingham and Barts...

Just hoping if someone could help me if I'm a good enough candidate, because i see people with enough A*s to blind someone that get rejected... btw, king's is my first choice :biggrin:

Get those AAA(+) predictions, a cracking PS and ref, and a pretty strong UKCAT score and you will be looking just as good on paper as most 'strong' applicants.
Reply 2261
Original post by Unbiased Opinion

Tbh, I'd more or less forgotten all thoughts of a gap year until just recently when I started revision and the thought of going to uni for more education straight after sixth form makes me feel kinda sick. :p: My ideal after sixth form jobs would be: some kind of lab assistant, or working for a small and local charity, or working in one of those school trip escape places... I dunno what they're called. Like Robinwood and stuff. But not going to uni just to have a full time job? Not much of a break. And I can imagine getting caught up in the routine of a job and just never leaving. If I manage to find good gap year ideas I might opt for deferred but otherwise I'm just going to apply for 2012 entry.

I went to Robinwood in year 6! Haha, I remember being the last person to cross the "piranha" pool, and I ended up crying as I stood by myself not wanting to cross back. :') I'm guessing your school went too?
Reply 2262
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
It really is. I wish I had done so :frown:

How bigger step up is it in academics/work load to A level?
Original post by liviaaa
How bigger step up is it in academics/work load to A level?

What from A-level to medicine or GCSE to A-level?

The former isn't that much of an increase in difficulty, but is a significant increase in volume. You have so much new knowledge thrown at you every day that it can easily overwhelm you :redface: I find I have to do 2-3 hours a night to cement things.
What from A-level to medicine or GCSE to A-level?

The former isn't that much of an increase in difficulty, but is a significant increase in volume. You have so much new knowledge thrown at you every day that it can easily overwhelm you :redface: I find I have to do 2-3 hours a night to cement things.

I think you're a first year, so you might not be able to answer to my satisfaction as the issue may not concern you (yet...), but do you have trouble remembering things from the beginning of the year? I'm thinking remembering things from earlier years might be a problem- ie. if you're a fourth year it seems quite likely that you would've forgotten things you learnt in first and second years. Maybe it's just me, but I can't remember most of the last unit I did 4 months ago.
I find I have to do 2-3 hours a night to cement things.

:eek: :afraid:

Damn!

Do you reckon from year 2 onwards you become more used to the volume of work/difficulty - or does it (the volume of work / its difficulty) increase every year?
Original post by SteveCrain
I think you're a first year, so you might not be able to answer to my satisfaction as the issue may not concern you (yet...), but do you have trouble remembering things from the beginning of the year? I'm thinking remembering things from earlier years might be a problem- ie. if you're a fourth year it seems quite likely that you would've forgotten things you learnt in first and second years. Maybe it's just me, but I can't remember most of the last unit I did 4 months ago.

Well the teaching is kind of cumulative. Like the basics you use on a day to day basis when thinking through problems and cases.

The exams also mean that you just have to remember it, obviously it isn't easy, but it just has to be done :s-smilie:
Original post by thegodofgod
:eek: :afraid:

Damn!

Do you reckon from year 2 onwards you become more used to the volume of work/difficulty - or does it (the volume of work / its difficulty) increase every year?

Oh no it gets worse :biggrin: We have about 15-18 hours teaching a week and the staff expect us to at least that at home in order to do well.

Some do less and are fine, some do more and still struggle. It is down to the individual :smile: I am settled into it now I would say and I find that putting the effort straight after we are taught it helps me to learn, some have other approaches. The students in the year above say that the work load is usually about constant (with the exception of exam time)
Original post by lemontang1
I would seriously consider applying for deffered entry this year, then take a gap year. It is so hard to get a place for medicine, its best to have two shots at it. Even if you do get an offer this year for defered entry you dont have to take it if you decide after your gap year medicine isnt for you. You may end up taking the gap year and decide that you really want to do medicine, and apply then not get a place, then youve got to wait another year and have another gap year. It just an option. Xx

Ah man, now i'm scared again :frown:
Oh no it gets worse :biggrin: We have about 15-18 hours teaching a week and the staff expect us to at least that at home in order to do well.

Some do less and are fine, some do more and still struggle. It is down to the individual :smile: I am settled into it now I would say and I find that putting the effort straight after we are taught it helps me to learn, some have other approaches. The students in the year above say that the work load is usually about constant (with the exception of exam time)

We're supposed to do that for A Levels as well right now - 1 hour for 1 hour.

We have a total of 19 hrs 50 minutes teaching time per week at our school (at AS), and we're supposed to do 19 hrs 50 minutes (or so) at home as well.

But I guess you guys have a lot more content to cover in a similar amount of time :s-smilie:
Original post by itsrayray:)
Oh right that makes sense! You definetly don't want to waste 5 years doing something you don't really want.
A break from education is a good idea, its been a long old slog haha

Hehe, yes I do need the break :tongue: I'm considering going abroad to volunteer, and to explore the world.
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Ah man, now i'm scared again :frown:

No need to be scared...im just saying that once youve gone through the process once you know so much more about it and are mmore likely to get a place if u apply again. I think its around 60% of medicine applicants get 4 rejections. Im not saying that you will get rejected, but there is a possibility. Xx
We're supposed to do that for A Levels as well right now - 1 hour for 1 hour.

We have a total of 19 hrs 50 minutes teaching time per week at our school (at AS), and we're supposed to do 19 hrs 50 minutes (or so) at home as well.

But I guess you guys have a lot more content to cover in a similar amount of time :s-smilie:

Yeah but don't actually need that much in school :tongue:
Yeah but don't actually need that much in school :tongue:

Of course...

*and now I've run out of things to say :erm: :K:*
Of course...

*and now I've run out of things to say :erm: :K:*

lol, well anyway the course is challenging but you will learn to adjust :biggrin:
lol, well anyway the course is challenging but you will learn to adjust :biggrin:

Btw, I think you've spelled Ghandi wrong (in the thing below your user name) - it's meant to be Gandhi from what I gather :colondollar:
Btw, I think you've spelled Ghandi wrong (in the thing below your user name) - it's meant to be Gandhi from what I gather :colondollar:

pfft I'm not paying for new team shirts
pfft I'm not paying for new team shirts

Another one of your weird sayings? :K:
Another one of your weird sayings? :K:

They aren't weird!
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Yeah, that's true. You'll have more to talk about at interviews for 2013 cycle as well.

I really don't know.. I'm thinking of deferred but I don't like year 11s the thought of living at home for another makes me :afraid: and I don't know where I'd go otherwise. Back when I enjoyed French I used to want to au pair for a year but I've been rapidly going off French this school year.

Tbh, I'd more or less forgotten all thoughts of a gap year until just recently when I started revision and the thought of going to uni for more education straight after sixth form makes me feel kinda sick. :p: My ideal after sixth form jobs would be: some kind of lab assistant, or working for a small and local charity, or working in one of those school trip escape places... I dunno what they're called. Like Robinwood and stuff. But not going to uni just to have a full time job? Not much of a break. And I can imagine getting caught up in the routine of a job and just never leaving. If I manage to find good gap year ideas I might opt for deferred but otherwise I'm just going to apply for 2012 entry.

I hate year 11s too :redface: I try not to think about them too much.

Yeah during this holiday I just thought "that's it! I need a break! I'm having a gap year!" And medicine is intense for life so if I don't have a little break in the middle I might turn doolally tap :biggrin:

Never heard of the school trip escape thing before, but yeah I want to apply for a part time job in the hospital as a phlebotomist or just volunteer in the hospital.

Those type of jobs are part time aren't they? Yeah I do get scared thinking I will be trapped in the part time job I do for life :eek: but I know I want to go to university so no part time job is gonna stop me!

I looked at these sites when I was contemplating a gap year:
http://www.gapyearprograms.net/
http://www.gapyear.com/
http://www.yomps.co.uk/

Those gave me the idea to go abroad for a few weeks. I've read, that quite a few people who take gap years before studying medicine go abroad and teach english or work for charities.

Alright then, what universities do you have in mind?

Latest

Trending

Trending