The Student Room Group

close + delete pls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mangoh

WOW, I was going to do the exact same course but I wish I did tbh, although you say you learnt the same things... At least you learn something, a level IT doesn't exactly teach you as much as BTEC IT, I would have thought so because a level IT is project work of which we all know is pointless but we have to care because it is part of the exam :rolleyes:

What do you plan to do with your BTEC?

There aren't much units in which I feel like I've actually "learnt" something. Programming and Signal Theory are about the only ones, the other units are just glorified write-ups of things you could research and understand in five minutes flat (such as the DPA).

After I finish this BTEC I'm going to study Comp Sci at Newcastle University. Self studying A-level maths over the summer ftw.
Reply 41
Original post by mangoh

I've done both A levels & a Btec ---> BTECs are a lot harder, more pressure, more stress, more work

What A Levels did you do?
Reply 42
I did a BTEC alongside 12 GCSEs because I was in CCF and they were offering them! I wouldn't put it on a par with A levels, really just aren't as challenging, though they should be respected as a qualification IMO.
Original post by Ulo
I did a BTEC alongside 12 GCSEs because I was in CCF and they were offering them! I wouldn't put it on a par with A levels, really just aren't as challenging, though they should be respected as a qualification IMO.

Was the BTEC that took a BTEC First? If it was ten it would/might be on par with GCSEs not to that of A-Level.
Reply 44
There are different grades of BTEC. BTEC just stands for Business and Technology Education Council so the examining board if you will, and is usually regulated via Edexcel

Some examples:
BTEC First Certificate = 2 GCSE's A*-C
BTEC First Diploma = 4 GCSE's A*-C
BTEC National Award = 1 A-Level (D = 120UCAS)
BTEC National Certificate = 2 A-Levels (DD = 240UCAS)
BTEC National Diploma = 3 A-Levels (DDD = 360UCAS)

There are others but they're the most common.
Reply 45
Original post by Bektas
I'm not doing a Btec, but I'll support your cause.

Yeah pritty must same I'm doing a VRQ:colone:
I'll sign this, although I personally value my Software development much more than any A level. Learning what we want to learn that is guaranteed to be useful in real life :smile:
I'm currently studying for a National Diploma in Animal Management and I'm on course to get DDD which equates to 360 UCAS points.

I could have finished A-Levels and got into a top University, for example University of Leeds and done Zoology but not had any hands on experience. However for the career path I want, hands on experience is absolutely vital.

So instead I'm doing a BTEC in Animal Management gaining so much experience and coming out with equivalent to 3 A-Levels.

People think because we don't have a few exams at the end of the year we don't do any work? I would love for those people to have to do the amount of work we do. Each assignment I do I write around 3,000-5,000 words. I have 4 assignments to be in for next week...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending