The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Well they do....obviously. And this one isn't boring :smile: I quite like research.

So when you said "they get really boring" did you mean timetabled life or the SSC? I can imagine research being quite exciting... although apparently it moves too slowly for Eureka moments from what I've heard. :frown:
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
So when you said "they get really boring" did you mean timetabled life or the SSC? I can imagine research being quite exciting... although apparently it moves too slowly for Eureka moments from what I've heard. :frown:

Yeah the timetabling is boring not the project itself.

Well your talking 10 years from the start of your study to publication for a medical journal, then about another 10 for manufacture and NICE approval so....no not exactly fast.
Yeah the timetabling is boring not the project itself.

Well your talking 10 years from the start of your study to publication for a medical journal, then about another 10 for manufacture and NICE approval so....no not exactly fast.

And then you get people like Wakefield mucking up your life's work... cruel industry. :p:
And then you get people like Wakefield mucking up your life's work... cruel industry. :p:

I have a date with a shower and my bed. Later :cool:
I have a date with a shower and my bed. Later :cool:

Sleep well. :smile:
They sound like good choices. :smile: Did you get an offer?

Um, ideally I'd apply to Glasow, Liverpool, UEA and Manchester but it depends how ASs and UKCAT goes I guess.

Totally random but you know when you're balancing redox equations? If there's a H+ do you have to add an electron to that side?

Hopefully I'll be going to leicester in september, provided I get my 3 A's (presently revsing maths at the minute)...Ive been trying to do the redox chemistry today....yh, I think you do the first stuff then finally balance the charges on either side with electrons. You may not necessarily need an electron when you have a hydrogen....think thats how it is. Xx
Ah well, you've stuck out the worst of it. :o: Is the SSC an annual thingy?

Whats SSC?
Original post by cute_wish
Whats SSC?

Student Selected Component.
It really is. I wish I had done so :frown:

Oh right what do you mean? Are you applying for 2012 entry?
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Hehe, yes I do need the break :tongue: I'm considering going abroad to volunteer, and to explore the world.

That's very rewarding! Where are you thinking of going?
Reply 2330
I've heard that a lot of the time people don't get places because they don't apply to their strengths... be careful with that, play to your strengths, give it your all and it'll all work out. :smile:

Thanks :smile: I'm going to wait for my AS results, and UKCAT before I confirm my uni choices, as it's hard to tell until then!
Reply 2331
Original post by lemontang1
Yh thats so true...if youve got 8A* i would definately apply to birmingham....theres a huge chance of getting an interview and then once youve got an interview there like a 90% chance of getting an offer. Xx

Where did you heard there's a huge chance of interview with 8 A*? I have 8A* and people on here have been telling me it's border line - you really need more like 9/10?
Original post by itsrayray:)
Oh right what do you mean? Are you applying for 2012 entry?

No, I'm a medical student :smile:
Hopefully I'll be going to leicester in september, provided I get my 3 A's (presently revsing maths at the minute)...Ive been trying to do the redox chemistry today....yh, I think you do the first stuff then finally balance the charges on either side with electrons. You may not necessarily need an electron when you have a hydrogen....think thats how it is. Xx

Late congratulations on the offer! All your hard work has paid off. :smile:

Ohhh, thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I was getting ridiculous amounts of electrons on each side and getting seriously confused... so balance atoms then balance charges, right? Also, are you meant to assume that things are in their standard states when they're being balanced... so say Br is reduced, would it be (equations not balanced):

Br -> Br2-

or

Br2 -> Br2-
Late congratulations on the offer! All your hard work has paid off. :smile:

Ohhh, thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I was getting ridiculous amounts of electrons on each side and getting seriously confused... so balance atoms then balance charges, right? Also, are you meant to assume that things are in their standard states when they're being balanced... so say Br is reduced, would it be (equations not balanced):

Br -> Br2-

or

Br2 -> Br2-

Br is in group 7, so only a single negative charge.

Br2 + 2e- --> 2Br-
No, I'm a medical student :smile:

Oh right! Do you not enjoy it?
Original post by itsrayray:)
That's very rewarding! Where are you thinking of going?

I was thinking Asia but I'll see what happens and I don't really mind where I go as long as I feel like I have accomplished something.
Original post by thegodofgod
Br is in group 7, so only a single negative charge.

Br2 + 2e- --> 2Br-

My bad, dunno how I saw it as part of group 6. So the element is always in its standard state, then? And thanks for the reply. :smile:
But there would be so many now Y11s if we deferred. :afraid:

Haha, exactly. I thought that as well but then I think of the other aspects of uni and I'm like "I just wanna go to uniiiii!"

They can but I think they can also be full time. I guess I would opt for part time though if I did get a job. You're right, part time job shouldn't (and prob wouldn't) hold me/us back but it's so easy to get caught up in routine and life!

Oh, cool, thanks, I'll take a look at those sites. :smile: The thing about gap years and working for charity is that some people question whether it actually benefits people at all and I'd rather do something that I know makes a difference. :dontknow:

Ideally Manc, Glasgow, UEA and Liverpool but applying for med school ain't ideal so I guess I'll play to my strengths closer to the time. :p: What about you?

I Just hope there is a mix of ages!

I know I was looking forward to the idea of moving out soon :redface:

Yeah I see what you mean, that's why I'm so weary about giving money to charity but you actually meet the people you are helping.

These are just the list of ones i'm consider King's, Newcastle, Bristol, Exeter, UCL and Edingburgh.
Some do other degrees, then medicine...I think alot just give up on medicine (alot have from my school)...some reapply again and again...Dont think theres any limit on the number of times you can apply, I know someone whos applied for 3 years and has eventually got a place this year. Xx

Wow, I wouldn't know what to do if I was that 60% :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending