The Student Room Group

UCL or Imperial?!

Hi guys, my first post since I have only just found this site.

Ive recieved offers for UCL- AAAe and Imperial- AAAb

I just don't know which is best? I loved both universities when I went there, my parents each prefer different ones so they aren't any help lol.

My insurance is AAB for biochem so Im not putting them both down as firm/insurance.

Half of my friends say Imperial and half say UCL.

Since all med schools are very highly rated, is there much difference in the 2? They are both in London, both highly prestigious and both internationally renowned.

Can anyone shed some advice for me please? I just hope someone has been in the same situation as I am now :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Procro

I just don't know which is best? I loved both universities when I went there, my parents each prefer different ones so they aren't any help lol.

My insurance is AAB for biochem so Im not putting them both down as firm/insurance.

Since all med schools are very highly rated, is there much difference in the 2? They are both in London, both highly prestigious and both internationally renowned.

Can anyone shed some advice for me please? I just hope someone has been in the same situation as I am now :tongue:

I would say UCL as they got UCH bulit in which is great for your medicial practice, its cheaper then Imperial as Imperials in Kensington.
UCL is very diverse you got the london uni union nearby with soas, lse, kings close by as well :smile:
Imperial is quite boring unless you find the right crowd...

My mates going to Imperial for medicine as its got a swimming school and a wrestling gym of some sort nearby :s-smilie:

My other mates going for UCL a he firmly believes its the best medical school, but it does have amazing buildings like the library which i've been in :smile:

Its upto you to be honest they all have cons and pro's, just look at the one which u'll be most happy with
I dont want to go to Mary’s,
I dont want to go to Bart’s,
They say that Royal Free is not the place to be,
and George’s are a bunch of high class ****ers,
UCL is ****ing boring,
and KINGS IS A HOLE IN THE STRAND! (in the Strand!)
I’d rather go to Guy’s! Merry, merry Guy’s!
And fornicate my f*cking life away cor blimey...

Now decide :colone:
Reply 3
Original post by Iqbal007
I would say UCL as they got UCH bulit in which is great for your medicial practice, its cheaper then Imperial as Imperials in Kensington.
UCL is very diverse you got the london uni union nearby with soas, lse, kings close by as well :smile:
Imperial is quite boring unless you find the right crowd...

My mates going to Imperial for medicine as its got a swimming school and a wrestling gym of some sort nearby :s-smilie:

My other mates going for UCL a he firmly believes its the best medical school, but it does have amazing buildings like the library which i've been in :smile:

Its upto you to be honest they all have cons and pro's, just look at the one which u'll be most happy with

What?

I think the same could be said for any university

But yes, OP just go with your own gut feeling. I resent the comments that UCL is more 'fun' than Imperial, though, I know people who go to both and the university experience is really what you make of it.

EDIT: OP, go over the Imperial applicants thread. There have been a few who were choosing between Imperial and UCL (all chose Imperial, I must say :P) but there are some very helpful posts in the last few pages!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by notepad
What?

But yes, OP just go with your own gut feeling. I resent the comments that UCL is more 'fun' than Imperial, though, I know people who go to both and the university experience is really what you make of it.

EDIT: OP, go over the Imperial applicants thread. There have been a few who were choosing between Imperial and UCL (all chose Imperial, I must say :P) but there are some very helpful posts in the last few pages!

I agree with this.
Reply 5
Original post by notepad
What?

Not really, even my teachers say how imperial has a lot of international students, but a lot of those who are oirental tend to keep to themselves :/
But i do know they party if ur in the right crowd
Reply 6
Original post by Mushi_master
Now decide :colone:

Tommies is a place for highborn fairies/Kings is a dump in the Strand...
Reply 7
Original post by Iqbal007
Not really, even my teachers say how imperial has a lot of international students, but a lot of those who are oirental tend to keep to themselves :/
But i do know they party if ur in the right crowd

Yes, really. Firstly, although there may be/are many international students like that you really shouldn't generalise. For medicine, only 20 students are international ... There are also a lot of internationals at UCL.
Without a doubt UCL.

UCH is reason enough. It's like a 5-Star Hotel. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Procro

I think you SHOULD put Imperial as your firm and UCL as your insurance - why put down biochem if you want to be a doctor? :s-smilie: Then won't you just have to do grad entry or something? Don't understand that myself.

Erm, well I think the only way you can decide is if you visit (if you haven't already). You get such a different feeling from visiting than you do from prospectuses and other people's opinions.

Good luck with whatever you choose, they both look great :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by notepad
Yes, really. Firstly, although there may be/are many international students like that you really shouldn't generalise. For medicine, only 20 students are international ... There are also a lot of internationals at UCL.

I'm talking about it in General, across all fields... the people at imperial are much more work-orientated during there freetime and more to themselves compared to UCL....

I've done work experience at there imperials business school and been to UCL with my school for school stuff.... and UCL definitley is the more social of the 2
Reply 11
I'd say UCL because of its awesome hospital. And because I'm going there :wink:

Either way you're sorted.
Reply 12
I am doing Masters at UCL and I can say that it is OK. UCH is not as great as a lot of people are talking about it. I talked to a PhD student who is also a doctor and works at UCH, and he said that the relationship between doctors in UCH is horrible. It does not have a sense of community (that could be because it is new). According to him Royal Free (even though the building is ****E, the people are really fun to work with).

I am also starting GEP Imperial this October, so I know a fair amount about Imperial. Firstly the Gym (which is great) is FREEEEE!!! (yes I am really excited about using the free gym next year :biggrin:). Secondly it is more world renowned (I dont want to start a war with UCL Medics here :biggrin:).

So choose IMPERIAL! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Imperial, but i'm a little bit biased.

Both have excellent teaching hospitals, and are consistently highly ranked in league tables.

A key difference between the courses is that at UCL you would do your intercalated BSc in the 3rd year, whereas at Imperial it's in the 4th year. The 3rd year at Imperial is entirely clinical (hospital-based) which in my opinion would give you a feel for what aspects of medicine you enjoy and would be keen to study in depth in your BSc year, whereas at UCL you wouldn't have that insight.
Reply 14
I would go for IMPERIAL but they're both quite amazing. Your B-mat must have been very high if you got offers from two b-mat schools. Anyway your sorted. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Reply 15
Original post by Ali_
Imperial, but i'm a little bit biased.

Both have excellent teaching hospitals, and are consistently highly ranked in league tables.

A key difference between the courses is that at UCL you would do your intercalated BSc in the 3rd year, whereas at Imperial it's in the 4th year. The 3rd year at Imperial is entirely clinical (hospital-based) which in my opinion would give you a feel for what aspects of medicine you enjoy and would be keen to study in depth in your BSc year, whereas at UCL you wouldn't have that insight.

Actually i know a few people at UCL who are doing clinics in 3rd year, so OP dont judge on this alone
Ignore the UCH thing OP - pre-freshers like to go on about that sort of thing, but in reality you'll being spending most of your time in North London DGHs. Likewise Imperial also has it's fair share of nice hospitals (Chelsea & Westminster springs to mind), though again you'll be spending most of your time in 60's monstrosities.

Also ignore the Imperial is unsociable/UCL is sociable thing. Admittedly I had some (misguided) preconceptions myself before starting, but I can safely say that the former simply isn't true, and having been to Gordon Street I can confirm the latter... In reality uni anywhere is simply what you make of it.

I guess the BSc thing a few posts above could be valid, but then I guess a pro of UCL is it's more diverse BSc range.

At the end of the day (actual) students will talk about enjoying their time at both, and you'll probably enjoy your time at either. I guess it may come down to which uni you got a stronger feel for on interview day (though I appreciate that's not much to go by), and mebbe a preference for South Ken/Hammersmith/West London or Bloomsbury/Camden/North London. And mebbe the BSc thing as well.

:holmes:
Original post by sfitz1
Actually i know a few people at UCL who are doing clinics in 3rd year, so OP dont judge on this alone

Thing of the past now I'm afraid :moon: 3 years solid pre-clinical (as of this (/last?) year).
(edited 12 years ago)
Have a look at how both schools structure their course and the range of BSc options each has. Also factor in the part of London you'd prefer to live in.
Original post by Blatant Troll
Thing of the past now I'm afraid :moon: 3 years solid pre-clinical (as of this (/last?) year).

Yep, as of this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending