The Student Room Group

What problems can $ 800,000 worth of flowers solve?

So I was looking at the cost of the floral displays at the royal wedding and it amounted to $ 800,000. I find that to be ridiculous because it is completely unnecessary to spend that much money on freaking flowers that would probably be thrown away the same night.

So what can $800,000 actually solve if it was spent elsewhere?

It costs $10,000 to build one well in Darfur, and they are currently in a water crisis from the aftermath of the massacre.

There is a U.N-supported initiative called 1,000 Wells for Darfur after Dr. Farouk El-Baz's team found a megalake under darfour with remote-sensing technology.

Therefore, $800,000 can build 80 wells in Darfur which is enough to give several villages the water supply they need for 100 years. Yes 100 years.

So what other problems can you think of which $800,000 will solve?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I got 99 problems and the pollen ain't one
800,000 1 dollar prostitutes! will solve 800,000 randy old mens fantasys! and eliminate rape off this planet!
(edited 12 years ago)
Ones thing's for sure, it's not gonna solve hayfever...
Reply 4
Original post by Tony_Soprano1
800,000 1 dollar prostitutes! will solve 800,000 randy old mens fantasys!

I prefer three.

:pierre:
It's not as if the money was going to be spent on either wells in Darfur or flowers.
Reply 6
its their money so they can do what they like, including blowing tonnes on flowers
(edited 12 years ago)
It COULD have been spent elsewhere on good causes but realistically it almost definitely wouldn't have been if they didn't get the flowers.

I wouldn't worry about it
Original post by ~ABR~
So I was looking at the cost of the floral displays at the royal wedding and it amounted to $ 800,000. I find that to be ridiculous because it is completely unnecessary to spend that much money on freaking flowers that would probably be thrown away the same night.

It costs $10,000 to build one well in Darfur, and they are currently in a water crisis from the aftermath of the massacre.

There is a U.N-supported initiative called 1,000 Wells for Darfur after Dr. Farouk El-Baz's team found a megalake under darfour with remote-sensing technology.

Therefore, $800,000 can build 80 wells in Darfur which is enough to give several villages the water supply they need for 100 years. Yes 100 years.

I am sorry but why does it cost $10,000 to build wells there, I thought they could build wells for about £1000 these days which is considerably less than the $10,000, why are the ones in Darfur so expensive?
Reply 9
Well, the money spent was a decent boost to the economy, and a large amount of charity actually doesn't go where it's needed most.

Besides, in my opinion, charity begins at home.
Reply 10
Err, did you not see that instead of registering for gifts they are asking for donations for charity instead, and have like 20 charities on there?
Considering the amount of foreign royalty there, they're gonna get some pretty hefty donations.

I bet you don't do that for your wedding.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Why should we spend our money on a well in Darfur? The royals are a part of British culture, if you're so interested to build a well yourself
Original post by Lewis :D
Why should we spend our money on a well in Darfur? The royals are a part of British culture, if you're so interested to build a well yourself

What's worth more, our culture, or a hundred years worth of lives?
Original post by ~ABR~

How about Darfur sort out their own problems.
Reply 14
Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
What's worth more, our culture, or a hundred years worth of lives?

Our culture, we cannot sort out other people's problems for them
Reply 15
Original post by ~ABR~

How much money have you donated towards the construction of wells in Darfur?
Original post by Lewis :D
Our culture, we cannot sort out other people's problems for them

Of course.

We aren't going to agree on this.
Reply 17
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
How about Darfur sort out their own problems.

they can if the west isn't stealing their oil!
Reply 18
Original post by dotty_but_good
I am sorry but why does it cost $10,000 to build wells there, I thought they could build wells for about £1000 these days which is considerably less than the $10,000, why are the ones in Darfur so expensive?

It includes maintenance, and the price depends on the depth of the wells.

And people who say it's their money they can do whatever: Actually no. It's not their money.
Reply 19
Could probably purchase the construction of a neonatal intensive care unit for the NHS. Or funding the social carer requirements for hundreds of learning disabled people across the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending