The Student Room Group

Lack of ethnic minorities in the crowd

I've been reading other forums and some people have raised this issue as well. All of yesterday and most of the day, I saw tons and tons of people in the streets. Yet I saw hardly, if any, blacks or asian.

Considering the fact that London has the highest amount of ethnic minorities, was I naive to assume there would have been more asians and blacks in the crowds? After all, the wedding was held in London and not in Berkshire or something :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

A lot of them are sore because their country was probably imperialised at one point, and the Royal Family is the last token of the empire.

Oops. :teehee: Stupid question. :facepalm2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Maybe it's because the majority of people who actually care are middle-class white people? I have no idea though.
:facepalm:

Have you not considered the fact that ethnic minorities will, in general, be less perturbed by the Wedding, and thus will not be as inclined to wait days in one spot to catch a glimpse of the Royal family?
If you looked at the choristers there were two black choristers and at least one asian.
Reply 5
Original post by Killer Bean
:facepalm:

Have you not considered the fact that ethnic minorities will, in general, be less perturbed by the Wedding, and thus will not be as inclined to wait days in one spot to catch a glimpse of the Royal family?

Why woud they be?

I'm just saying. London and the UK is known for multiculturalism, yet the crowd wasn't.
It's up to them whether they want to go or not, though I've seen a lot there.
Reply 7
The UK is still 80% white, and in every shot on camera I saw that ratio was more or less maintained.

You should be more worried that only 300,000 attended anywhere close to the area, compared to 8,000,000 people in London alone and 65,000,000 in the UK. Let's also not forget all those billions of people in Commonwealth nations. It is a sad day for Britain and its legacy when its heritage and history is not celebrated by even the minority.
It's the same at Last Night of the Proms. A lot of ethnic minorities have completely rejected British cultural occasions such as this, "multiculturalism" for you.
well thats just that isnt it. the majority as opposed to minority of british people will have a white appearance im sure there were a few black or asian people in the crowd but i wasnt bothered enough to play wheres wally all day when there were lancaster bombers etc.

end of the day too much emphasis in the media on having to inculde minorities in everything all the time which is what makes everyone notice. i dont care if they were black, white, asian or smurf, race shouldnt mean anything, it was a day to be proud of our country and forget if we have enough representation of everyone to fill some quota, because im sure everyone was there in some way or another.
Original post by Broderss
The UK is still 80% white, and in every shot on camera I saw that ratio was more or less maintained.

You should be more worried that only 300,000 attended anywhere close to the area, compared to 8,000,000 people in London alone and 65,000,000 in the UK. Let's also not forget all those billions of people in Commonwealth nations. It is a sad day for Britain and its legacy when its heritage and history is not celebrated by even the minority.

I'm guessing you went then? Hmm?
Reply 11
Oh here we go
Hence the term 'ethnic minority'?
Original post by TheWiseStudent
Why woud they be?

I'm just saying. London and the UK is known for multiculturalism, yet the crowd wasn't.

There's more of a sense of "OUR Prince is getting married today!" with white people, so I would have thought the reason why white people would care about this a lot more than others would was quite obvious: because it's a lot closer to home, racially. For the record, I'm Asian and don't care either way, but I still don't think I would had I been white - I think the idea of still having a Monarchy is a bit redundant and outdated by now.

I apologise for the facepalm, by the way; it was a bit condescending and I made my initial post without thinking. But to have been recorded at Westminister Abbey today, people had to actually wait there for about three days IIRC.

EDIT: People have also come from across the country - on the news that shown a couple who came from as far as London, so that would also contribute to the racial 'dilution'.
(edited 12 years ago)
To stop any impending terrorist attacks they were not allowed anywhere near
- Most people in the UK are white
- Non white people are less interested
- Non white people would rather be working/studying?
Reply 16
but really why would I stand in the crowd for hours and hours just to see the couple for a couple of seconds....some of the crowd have been there since last night :s-smilie: ....mate i watched it from the comfort of my living room....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
I would feel like an absolute pathetic disgrace of a person if I was one of the low-life sheep who follow this wedding like a bunch of second-rate worshippers.

People who have such a lowly life with nothing going for them that they dedicate their time and effort to idolise something so insignificant.

The psychology behind it is clear to see, third class people wanting to witness a level of optimism, happiness, importance and display of wealth that they'll never get to see for themselves at any degree.

If I were ever become like one of these sycophantic people who act as slaves to the ego of the royals then I'd shoot myself. A frame of mind that leads to life simply not worth living.

Sad people, I always knew there were many but not THIS many.
Reply 18
I still saw quite a few people of different ethnicity in the crowd, It'd be impossible to determine how many were there but I think that just because you might not see many doesn't mean they're not interested. I have many black and asian friends, who, like me, stayed home because we knew that you'd get a much better view of the wedding from our very own television.
Reply 19
Got to say Kate looked amazing....absolutely loved her dress so simple and elegant....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending