The Student Room Group

Is this a racist comment/ what does it mean?

I was speaking to someone yesterday at work and he was talking about a colleague who is black (African). At the time I didn't think about what was being said and I was distracted and only half listening (I'm living in my own little world at the moment) and I don't really pay much attention to the world around me. Anyway he said to me "oh she's gone upstairs. I think she is feeling a bit dehydrated." I just said 'oh ok' and didn't think anything of it (I just assumed she went for a drink!!) but then he said 'do you know what I mean?' and looked at me for longer than someone usually would. What does this mean? I don't think she actually went to get a drink (I saw her somewhere else) and I'm not sure what he meant by this comment. Is this a common racist expression that I am unaware of? My colleague who said this is white and so am I and I know for a fact that he does not like her. So am I reading too much into this? If it was just a harmless comment, its a bit of a strange thing to say. But If it is racist then should I tell a superior and how?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds like he was suggesting she went upstairs to suck someone off to be honest. Doesn't sound racist
Reply 2
I don't think it was racist but I'm sure his motives weren't particularly pleasant, he probably was insinuating something offensive.
Reply 3
I'm lost
Reply 4
Original post by Bellrosk
I don't think it was racist but I'm sure his motives weren't particularly pleasant, he probably was insinuating something offensive.

Like what? I don't get it.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I was speaking to someone yesterday at work and he was talking about a colleague who is black (African). At the time I didn't think about what was being said and I was distracted and only half listening (I'm living in my own little world at the moment) and I don't really pay much attention to the world around me. Anyway he said to me "oh she's gone upstairs. I think she is feeling a bit dehydrated." I just said 'oh ok' and didn't think anything of it (I just assumed she went for a drink!!) but then he said 'do you know what I mean?' and looked at me for longer than someone usually would. What does this mean? I don't think she actually went to get a drink (I saw her somewhere else) and I'm not sure what he meant by this comment. Is this a common racist expression that I am unaware of? My colleague who said this is white and so am I and I know for a fact that he does not like her. So am I reading too much into this? If it was just a harmless comment, its a bit of a strange thing to say. But If it is racist then should I tell a superior and how?

Your colleague is a homosexual I think and was making a bold move on you...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Does she looks like a fish?

Or whale?

Maybe it was that?
Reply 7
there is no way that that comment was racist. You said he doesn't like her so maybe he was suggesting that she was going to waste some time or something to get out of work. How was that supposed to be racist?
Reply 8
Original post by KrazyKro
Your colleague is queer I think and was making a bold move on you...

What a disgusting word to use.
Reply 9
Like what? I don't get it.

I don't know...
Reply 10

It wouldn't make any sense because if he was racist and was referring to her being African and thus from a hot place, surely she would be more hydrated over here? Unless he is an idiot and did mean she is dehydrated because she's African.
Reply 11

How is queer a disgusting word to use?

Look it up in the dictionary.

Unless you're gay, you have no reason to be offended. And if you are gay, you're dumb for being offended.
Original post by Planar
I'm lost

Same here :confused:.
investigation required
Reply 14

Changed, happy? Didn't know it had any negative connotations with it, I was under the impression that it is synonymous with "homosexual"...
Reply 15
Original post by KrazyKro
Changed, happy? Didn't know it had any negative connotations with it, I was under the impression that it is synonymous with "homosexual"...

To me queer is a nice way of describing someone as homosexual.

Its not like fag, or w/e.

But even fag wouldn't offend me.
Reply 16

If you're anything like as obtuse as this thread suggests then I imagine he was simply enquiring as to whether or not you knew what the word 'dehydrated' meant.
Reply 17
What because she's African, following the common stereotype of the malnourished and dehydrated child, you think that's what he was getting at ??

Maybe, Maybe not.

The only thing you cant take away from it is that, he meant it in an unpleasant way. Racist ? I dunno

perhaps he's hinting she's a heavy drinker and really hungover.
which is caused by dehydration..... isn't it?

so he may be just putting her down and being a bit annoyed about her having a break and going upstairs because of her self inflicted hangover.

or maybe it's a code word for something?
Reply 19
I don't know...

Have you never heard the Gay community using the chant "We're Here, We're Queer - Get used to it."
Not exactly disgusting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending