The Student Room Group

Britain's Proudest Moment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Rofl lmfao!

Man i thought i was bad. This guy has some issues, i think his head exploded at the end that's why stopped talking.
The other man was right. He is a minority.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1621754

Students are generally in the most republican age group, and even here they don't come close to being a majority who would vote against a constitutional monarchy.
Reply 42
Original post by Broderss
It is most certainly not redundant. If you really believe the Royal Family is of no significance whatsoever you are either stupid or ignorant.

The royal family could easily be replaced by any democratically elected head of state, there is no need for a privileged select few to receive millions of pounds of tax payer's money all because they were lucky enough to be born into a certain family. I think most people acknowledge that this is fundamentally wrong but choose to ignore this fact because they 'do so much for us', or bring us 'so much money', putting aside the fact that today has cost the economy an estimated £5 billion. They have very little benefit and need to go.
Original post by The_resurrection
I don't consider myself British. Such a horrible, outdated, arrogant nation. Doesn't mean i don't like the country i live in.

If you were born here, like it not, you are by definition British.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Rant
**** off you patriotic ****.

What's wrong with my patriotism and my pride in being British?
Reply 45
Original post by Warrior King
I'm not a royalist and never have been but I did tune into the Royal Wedding out of sheer curiousity. And also the Royals went up in my estimation well Prince William anyway when he went on his unannounced walkabout to thank the crowds which was very nice and humbling gesture. Frankly he didn't need to do it but did if only in a small way to say thanks to all those who travelled far and wide and changed their weekly schedules and plans and spent their hard earned money to wish him well. So for that I respect him.

The issues about the guest list and the clear Tory bias is another matter. But when all is said and then even if I myself am not a fan of the Royals if it for one day at least could unite people from all walks of life in the UK with everyone being happy and jovial and having a mutual respect and admiration for each other, then I'm happy.

Besides it'll be finished in a couple of hours and we can all go back to normal.

Oh and one more thing that (the phone in) and today's Royal Wedding isn't Britain's Proudest Moment. VE Day was and in my opinion when we host the Olympic Games next Summer, that will be one of our proudest moments.

I think Prince William is a good guy, he's really down to earth and has done a lot of normal things and helped many people and charities because he genuinely wants to and not to improve his or his family's image. I'm glad he did something to thank everyone who was there and to be honest I'm not surprised. Hopefully when he comes to reign king he will prove to everyone what the monarchy should really be about.

And hopefully retards like Harriet Harman won't ruin our Olympics but it will actually be a time for Britain to be proud. I think we'd need that.
Reply 46
Original post by Bellrosk
The royal family could easily be replaced by any democratically elected head of state, there is no need for a privileged select few to receive millions of pounds of tax payer's money all because they were lucky enough to be born into a certain family. I think most people acknowledge that this is fundamentally wrong but choose to ignore this fact because they 'do so much for us', or bring us 'so much money', putting aside the fact that today has cost the economy an estimated £5 billion. They have very little benefit and need to go.

I think they are far better than having a single president. The fact they are separate from politics is very important both to the people of Britain but also to other nations across the world.
Reply 47
I think they are far better than having a single president. The fact they are separate from politics is very important both to the people of Britain but also to other nations across the world.

But there is something fundamentally wrong about one family having access to such excessive amounts of taxpayer's money. I can understand you wanting to keep politics and heads of state separate but there should be a democratic process to this.
Reply 48
What's wrong with my patriotism and my pride in being British?

Everything.
Reply 49
Original post by Bellrosk
But there is something fundamentally wrong about one family having access to such excessive amounts of taxpayer's money. I can understand you wanting to keep politics and heads of state separate but there should be a democratic process to this.

The only issue with it is the jealousy some people have because one family is entitled by default to all this wealth while everyone else has to work hard to get what they want. The Royal Family do a great service to this nation, much more so than other extremely wealthy monarchs in poorer nations. The fact is Britain and the Commonwealth nations need the constitutional monarch of the United Kingdom and many many people actually want them to exist. Doesn't matter how unfair it is for you.
Reply 50
The only issue with it is the jealousy some people have because one family is entitled by default to all this wealth while everyone else has to work hard to get what they want. The Royal Family do a great service to this nation, much more so than other extremely wealthy monarchs in poorer nations. The fact is Britain and the Commonwealth nations need the constitutional monarch of the United Kingdom and many many people actually want them to exist. Doesn't matter how unfair it is for you.

People may want it, but we certainly don't need it!
Reply 51

But clearly the country does have a problem with people getting more than their fair share of tax payer's money, point in hand: benefit thieves who are mercilessly demonised.

And why exactly do we 'need' the monarch? If you're going to make a statement at least have the evidence to back it up otherwise you look stupid.
Reply 52
Original post by Rant
Everything.

Either give good, logical reasons or continue your life of ignorance. Although I would agree if you condemned the sickening patriotism of Americans, because their patriotism is institutionalised and for no real reason other than to maintain the ability to commit horrific war crimes without losing the confidence of its people. Pride in America is illogical because they have no history and have done nothing in this world. Their greatest 'achievement' was the American Revolutionary War.
Reply 53
I wonder if "Melvin from Milton Keynes" is aware that actually television remotes have this big red button on them that makes the screen go black and that outside of his living room there is a place called "the outside world" where he can go if he wants to?
Reply 54
Original post by U.S Lecce
People may want it, but we certainly don't need it!

Yes we do. Look at how much influence a visit from the Queen has on nations around the world. They are respected by all and because of that so is Britain. We are respected because of our Royal Family and the things they do and people look up to us. That's why we need the Royal Family.
Reply 55
"The country is on its knees!"
Reply 56
Either give good, logical reasons or continue your life of ignorance. Although I would agree if you condemned the sickening patriotism of Americans, because their patriotism is institutionalised and for no real reason other than to maintain the ability to commit horrific war crimes without losing the confidence of its people. Pride in America is illogical because they have no history and have done nothing in this world. Their greatest 'achievement' was the American Revolutionary War.

There's lots of reasons to be proud to be British. Likewise, there are as many reasons for Americans to be proud of their country. You're being just as illogical by saying pride is noot justified without a long history.
Hahaha that was hilarious :rofl: he sounded properly pissed off, like on the verge of exploding.
Reply 58
Original post by chrislpp
What did britain ever have apart from the arrogance of believing only certain white people from certain families deserved land, power, opinions and money.

And that's not me scratching the surface.

They may do a lot of charity work, but it will take a millenia to make up for their ancestor's behaviour, the affects of which are still seen today.

well said
Reply 59
Yes we do. Look at how much influence a visit from the Queen has on nations around the world. They are respected by all and because of that so is Britain. We are respected because of our Royal Family and the things they do and people look up to us. That's why we need the Royal Family.

Lol come on be rational, we don't need them. It's not as if we got rid of them life as we know would end and the uk would turn into war zone. And i doubt the rest of the world would think any less of the uk because we don't have a monarch. We are so influential in the world because of our foriegn policy (rightly or wrongly) not because of the monarch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending