The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

What is the internet connection like...

In the university of Southampton accomodation, libraries and humanities department?

Thanks
In halls:

Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 20.28.19.jpg
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by apocalipse117
In halls:

Do you guys have any bandwidth limit?
Reply 3
It's absolutely phenomenal and I think there is some sort of fair use but never seen a number quoted. Occasionally they send out mildly threatening broadcast e-mails about torrenting but that's just about it.
Reply 4
Original post by Theconomist
Do you guys have any bandwidth limit?

Apparently there is as one of my friends downloaded like 70GB of steam games in a day and had his internet blocked. But I haven't noticed anything downloading entire seasons of TV in a day, so I imagine it's quite a high limit.
Reply 5
In halls:

OMG...that's really too good..
over here i manage with 5Mbps :redface:
btw...is this WiFi or wired?
Original post by tajmahal
OMG...that's really too good..
over here i manage with 5Mbps :redface:
btw...is this WiFi or wired?

wired, all the halls are wired connections.
Reply 7
wired, all the halls are wired connections.

how would i go about connecting a smartphone to the wired connection then? :confused:
so does that mean that halls have no Wifi at all? :eek:
Reply 8
I don't think there are any wifi spots in the halls..
Reply 9
Wired connection? can someone explain me the difference with wi-fi? XD
Reply 10
Original post by sadar
x

Wired = Ethernet cable into your laptop/computer
Wi-Fi = Wireless internet used by mobiles and laptops when not near a connection point

Pretty crap if there aren't any wireless hotspots.
Reply 11
In southampton there is this project http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_Open_Wireless_Network to cover the entire city with hotspots. http://www.sown.org.uk/ for hotspots map
Anyway, if you need wifi, you can buy a cheap router and install it in your room
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by byraul
In southampton there is this project http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_Open_Wireless_Network to cover the entire city with hotspots. http://www.sown.org.uk/ for hotspots map
Anyway, if you need wifi, you can buy a cheap router and install it in your room

nice :wink:
the router idea is cool
how good is this wifi project on campus?
Reply 13
Original post by CynicaL
Wired = Ethernet cable into your laptop/computer
Wi-Fi = Wireless internet used by mobiles and laptops when not near a connection point

Pretty crap if there aren't any wireless hotspots.

F***! Yeah pretty crap. We'll have to plug in a cable in the laptot? Cellphones are therefore useless for this pruposes!
All of the campus is covered by wifi. It occasionally gets a little sluggish at peak times, but is still very fast.
It is technically not allowed to have wifi in halls at all, but if you bring/buy a router and put a password on it then they will turn a blind eye. They just don't want lots of people going through one connection.
Torrenting is not a problem for them, so long as you limit your maximum connections. I was cut off twice for uploading public torrents at vast speeds. I phoned them and they explained to me why it caused problems, told me not to do it again, and reconnected me.
The second time I said to them that I was uploading open source and copyrightless files and the guy was again very nice about it and told me that I needed to restrict the maximum connections to 20 and limit the bandwidth to less than 1MB/s upload

It doesn't sound great, but this is bearing in mind that I uploaded well over 1TB of data over the year in halls, and was otehrwise very pleased with it.

Quick Reply