The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
cheers could you give me the link for the ucas or applications part please?
Reply 501
Original post by tateco
Under cover economist was a good start for me, wasn't that impressed with Freakonomics though...

I read the first chapter of Freakonomics and found it quite interesting, but realised that it had little to do with economics haha
Original post by Hemzo
I was thinking of starting in the summer with the easygoing economic books such as Freakonomics and The Undercover Economist and then progress and start to read more in depth books by Keynes and other well known economists :smile:

The books by Keynes and economists like Adam Smith which I think you're talking about aren't generally that good to read I think.
They tend to be very long winded and you can find other books which will be much more use to you really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 503
Original post by Psychotic546
The books by Keynes and economists like Adam Smith which I think you're talking about aren't generally that good to read I think.
They tend to be very long winded and you can find other books which will be much more use to you really.

Ah cheers for the heads up mate, any certain books you would recommend? (Apart from Freakonomics and the Undercover Economist)
Original post by Hemzo
Ah cheers for the heads up mate, any certain books you would recommend? (Apart from Freakonomics and the Undercover Economist)

You live in London so it's quite simple: Go to Foyle's bookshop. As you can tell, I love that shop :rolleyes: Go downstairs to their Economics section, where they have tonnes of books on all aspects of Economics, at all levels: from popular economics (which I would personally avoid) to Postgraduate textbooks and, of course, everything inbetween :biggrin:

The staff there are very knowledgeful about their range of books, so they'll be able to point you in the right direction if you can't find anything through browsing. I'd recommend picking something that maybe you haven't heard of, but is about a topic in Economics you like, for instance: Development, Game Theory, Trade, Economic history, Behavioural Economics and so on. I think that the only way to find the a book which strikes a balance between popular and textbook styles is to do some browsing, so have fun :tongue:

I could spend all my time and money in there... :redface:

This recommendation goes out to everyone btw!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 505
Original post by thegenius31416
You live in London so it's quite simple: Go to Foyle's bookshop. As you can tell, I love that shop :rolleyes: Go downstairs to their Economics section, where they have tonnes of books on all aspects of Economics, at all levels: from popular economics (which I would personally avoid) to Postgraduate textbooks and, of course, everything inbetween :biggrin:

The staff there are very knowledgeful about their range of books, so they'll be able to point you in the right direction if you can't find anything through browsing. I'd recommend picking something that maybe you haven't heard of, but is about a topic in Economics you like, for instance: Development, Game Theory, Trade, Economic history, Behavioural Economics and so on. I think that the only way to find the a book which strikes a balance between popular and textbook styles is to do some browsing, so have fun :tongue:

Cheers mate! I'll definetly check it out, it's near Tottenham Court Road Station so I'll visit next time I'm passing through central
Original post by Hemzo

Joseph Stiglitz has a few books, all worth a read. As I mentioned before A truth about markets (John Kay) is good. It pretty a lot and explains it all quite well.

Any idea which sort of thing in particular you want books on?
Original post by Competencies
What do you expect to get out of an insight day?

It's not something to put on a personal statement or a CV.

And everything you learn from them can be found on the internet...

EDIT: And an insight day at one of the 'Big 4' isn't even relevant to Economics in any way. I mean, IB has at least some relevance what with M&A and so on.

It's not really for the economics degree. It's for after, I really have an interest in that direction for a career, and whilst most people will yell at me for not doing a maths degree, I can't help but like economics too?

Most of the things I do aren't relevant to my PS directly, but I can briefly mention drawing upon skills and whatnot if need be. I really enjoyed the two I've been on and it's more that I want to experience them again.

Whilst people may disagree with my methods, it's all I've been able to achieve.. I have no connections, I've applied to numerous placements with not much of an answer back, I can pass the online tests, which at least amounts to something.. Something is better than nothing at all. :rolleyes:
(..and if you do disagree [which most people do], perhaps you could assist me in getting something more relevant, because I fail in that area of life? :tongue:)
Reply 508
Joseph Stiglitz has a few books, all worth a read. As I mentioned before A truth about markets (John Kay) is good. It pretty a lot and explains it all quite well.

Any idea which sort of thing in particular you want books on?

I would be quite interested in all areas of Economics. I'm quite fond of markets and economic history if you know any that fits into those agendas :smile:
Original post by Hemzo
I would be quite interested in all areas of Economics. I'm quite fond of markets and economic history if you know any that fits into those agendas :smile:

I have quite a long list of books I was going to get but I can't find it atm.

I'd suggest:

"The Roaring Nineties" - Joseph Stiglitz
"Butterfly Economics"- Paul Ormerod
"Reinventing the Bazaar: The Natural History of Markets"- John McMillan
"The truth about markets"- John Kay

I haven't really looked at economic history much so maybe someone else can help you on that.
Reply 510
I have quite a long list of books I was going to get but I can't find it atm.

I'd suggest:

"The Roaring Nineties" - Joseph Stiglitz
"Butterfly Economics"- Paul Ormerod
"Reinventing the Bazaar: The Natural History of Markets"- John McMillan
"The truth about markets"- John Kay

I haven't really looked at economic history much so maybe someone else can help you on that.

Thanks mate, I'll give'em a read, muchly appreciated :smile:
Reply 511
So glad to hear i'm not the only one applying for economics without having done it at school! Will probably apply to Warwick, Nottingham, Cambridge, St Andrews/Edinburgh and Bath.. :smile:
I enjoyed the Undercover Economist and have just started another book by Tim Harford called The Logic of Life which i'd recommend.
Reply 512
Original post by ilana94
So glad to hear i'm not the only one applying for economics without having done it at school! Will probably apply to Warwick, Nottingham, Cambridge, St Andrews/Edinburgh and Bath.. :smile:
I enjoyed the Undercover Economist and have just started another book by Tim Harford called The Logic of Life which i'd recommend.

Pretty much identical uni choices to me :wink: Do you have further maths?
The only university I'd be wary out of those would be Bath, they are one of the only universities that specify economics to be strong preferred.

I liked undercover economist, so I might order that book too :smile:
Reply 513
I'm doing the European Baccalaureate, and take what's called 5-hour maths.. it's equivalent to IB higher level maths but not sure if it's comparable to further maths.
The overall entry requirement of 80% isn't terribly high but it does slightly worry me that economics is a strongly preferred subject as you said!
Reply 514
How's the revision going guys? Feeling confident?

I'm aiming for 95%+ average over my best three AS-Levels, super motivated at the minute. :albertein:
Reply 515
Reckon us 2012 lot have any chance of someone doing a TAELT '12? :awesome:
Reply 516
Original post by joshgoldman
Reckon us 2012 lot have any chance of someone doing a TAELT '12? :awesome:

Hopefully, but it will largely remain the same in the top 10 which I assume is where most people in this thread will be applying. The top 10 will always be made up of Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Durham and then the 9th spot can change quite a lot :smile:
Reply 517
Two History exams and C1 maths exam next week, hope I reach 90%+ in the tests =D
Reply 518
Original post by tateco
Hopefully, but it will largely remain the same in the top 10 which I assume is where most people in this thread will be applying. The top 10 will always be made up of Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Durham and then the 9th spot can change quite a lot :smile:

I think it's 2013's that would see big changes.. Mainly for admission statistics, surely our year's will differ quite a lot from last years due to fees and blah blah blah.
Original post by joshgoldman
I think it's 2013's that would see big changes.. Mainly for admission statistics, surely our year's will differ quite a lot from last years due to fees and blah blah blah.

+1

Latest

Trending

Trending