The Student Room Group

Is this a racist comment/ what does it mean?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by draikzer
Yes. Because using the word gay instead of stupid is RISING UP AGAINST THIS GAY REGIME THAT IS FORMING.

Please. People using the word gay to describe other things does not effect you. No matter how you want to pretend that you are offended. You're just fighting something that isn't even an enemy.

Yes, it does have an affect, it's labeling gay as bad, when it isn't. The fact you choose not to listen shows again that you are simply here to be abrasive, and your lack of respect.
Reply 61
Original post by 101flyboy
True, people are going to be douches. And they will be condemned accordingly. BTW, you already said you have no respect for the gay community, and no, words are not just words, they have meanings, and some words carry social and personal connections. You can't just wipe away reality to suit you.

I don't respect the majority of the gay community then.

The "community" sounds like a cult.
Reply 62
Haha, you're calling me homophobic?

Seriously? OH GOD. I can't with you.

You have some internalized homophobia issues.
Reply 63
You have some internalized homophobia issues.

Of course I do.

A homophobic homosexual.

Your logic is flawless.
Reply 64
I don't respect the majority of the gay community then.

The "community" sounds like a cult.

More like a community who is done playing nice.
Reply 65
Of course I do.

A homophobic homosexual.

Your logic is flawless.

Plenty of gay people have homophobia issues. Plenty.
Reply 66
Original post by Keckers
Sorry, I meant to neg you.

Quite honestly you are using this ridiculous modern idea that you have a right to feel offended.

Grow up.

People do have every right to be offended by offensive things. Grow up and stop diminishing their feelings.
Reply 67
Plenty of gay people have homophobia issues. Plenty.

Sure.

With homosexuals who feel it is their duty to jump around telling people what they can and can't say.

I'll just get on with my homophobic life.

Bye.

P.S Grow a thicker skin.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Sure.

With homosexuals who feel it is their duty to jump around telling people what they can and can't say.

I'll just get on with my homophobic life.

Bye.

P.S Grow a thicker skin.

People can say what they want, just expect backlash. Because if you think gay people are just going to allow themselves to be denigrated, you're crazy. You may not have self-respect, but yeah, that's your own issue.
Reply 69
People can say what they want, just expect backlash. Because if you think gay people are just going to allow themselves to be denigrated, you're crazy. You may not have self-respect, but yeah, that's your own issue.

Yeah. I dont let petty things bother me.

But I have no self respect.
Original post by Anonymous
"oh she's gone upstairs. I think she is feeling a bit dehydrated."

She was sucking someone off :sexface:
Reply 71
The efforts to stop hate speech has progressed nicely and will continue to progress. Civility is not petty. It's not petty to not want how you identify to be seen as an insult. We all should respect one another, and that is not done by mocking or using dehumanizing slurs.
Original post by ForKicks
Sounds like he was suggesting she went upstairs to suck someone off to be honest. Doesn't sound racist

My thoughts exactly but I didn't want to say that in case I sounded like a whore
Do gay people identify as gay? Yes? So, nope, the word hasn't changed. And, no-one has the right to change it, as the gay community are gay, this is who they are, and so therefore, heterosexuals have no right to believe they can take this word from them.

The word gay was invented when being a homosexual was practically unheard of. It's an archaic word, which used to mean happy, which was then appropriated to mean homosexual.

Words change meaning all the time. It's not someone's right, it's a fact of life. Think of the words 'cool' or 'hot' for example. You think someone in Tudor times would have used 'hot' to mean an attractive person? You can't stop words from changing meaning, so you can't neccessarily always use words to suggest someone is being offensive. What IS important is context.

And not being funny, but whilst we're talking about not being able to take other people's words, where is the right in homosexuals saying that that is their word and no-one else can use it? Words are words are words. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.
Reply 74
Original post by Sweat.it.out
The word gay was invented when being a homosexual was practically unheard of. It's an archaic word, which used to mean happy, which was then appropriated to mean homosexual.

Words change meaning all the time. It's not someone's right, it's a fact of life. Think of the words 'cool' or 'hot' for example. You think someone in Tudor times would have used 'hot' to mean an attractive person? You can't stop words from changing meaning, so you can't neccessarily always use words to suggest someone is being offensive. What IS important is context.

And not being funny, but whilst we're talking about not being able to take other people's words, where is the right in homosexuals saying that that is their word and no-one else can use it? Words are words are words. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Gay was a label placed by heterosexuals because of the stereotypes of male homosexuals. Cheeriness, peppiness, flamboyancy. You know, the original definition of gay. So saying the word has evolved is not based on anything but the fact homophobia has turned gay into an insult, because homophobia leads people to think gay is bad. It's that simple. So, no, heterosexuals do not have the right to change the word at their whim, it's the gay communities' word, it's how they identify and it has social and personal history with them. Trivializing that is an insult.

Context is irrelevant in this case. This is about actions. Using gay as a pejorative is a negative action.
Reply 75
Some heterosexuals want to believe that "gay" and the f-word are not homosexual related anymore, when the gay community identifies as gay, and when people are still beaten with the f-word used against them. And when gay slurs are almost ALWAYS used negatively. Yet, somehow, they aren't slurs. It's so comically obvious. Straight privilege.
Reply 76
Original post by Bellrosk
I'm not trying to speak for all people, but there is a difference between the gay community reclaiming a word and using it in, for example 'queer theory' and a straight guy using it to suggest another guy is gay. What is wrong with just using the word gay then? When queer has such a history of causing offence?

No I think the word gay should be used to describe homosexual people, I strongly oppose the use of gay as a synonym for 'bad' - for obvious reasons.

I oppose the use of gay as a synonym for bad as well and personally would never use it. But it is a fact that the use of gay as a synonym for bad has increased in the last decade and gay is often used in a derogatory way, often as an insult. So should the word not be used anymore bc lots of people have been abused with it just as you have with the word queer? I dont think that more ppl get abused nowadays more often with the term queer than with the term gay.

queer is not on the level as fag or the n word, especially not these days. That is simply not true. You get tv shows called " queer as folk", you wouldnt get a tv show called " faggot as folk" or "****** as folk."

It is your opinion if you dont like a word and if you personally dont want to be called queer that is perfectly fine. But i dont think you have the right to demand that no one should call gay people this bc not everyone agrees with your opinion. The gay community isnt homogenous, and queer no longer exclusively means homosexual.

Many gay people have no problem calling themselves queer, many like that term and promote it. There are lots of queer magazines for example. Show me where LGBT people embrace faggot magazines? These two words are not in the same category, simple as.

Again, everyone has their own opinions on ppl reclaiming words. The hip hop culture also claims it is reclaiming the n word. Does this mean all African Americans agree with this? No. There is a clip somewhere with oprah and jay z disagreeing on this issue.

Personally i dont think one group of ppl should be prohibited from using a term whereas others use it. That is discriminatory and hypocritical in my eyes. Saying gay ppl may use a term to describe themselves but then straight ppl are not allowed to use this term is ridiculous.
Reply 77
Gay people identifying as queer has absolutely nothing to do with the word being used as an insult. Using gay slurs in a negative fashion is unacceptable. Actually, the usage of these words in this way has decreased because of the increased awareness of why it's insulting and the corresponding backlash.

Gay, queer, even the f-word, can still be used. But, use them in their correct manner, and don't use them as insults. Use them in an appropriate way, and not one meant to offend.
Reply 78
Gay people identifying as queer has absolutely nothing to do with the word being used as an insult. Using gay slurs in a negative fashion is unacceptable. Actually, the usage of these words in this way has decreased because of the increased awareness of why it's insulting and the corresponding backlash.

Gay, queer, even the f-word, can still be used. But, use them in their correct manner, and don't use them as insults. Use them in an appropriate way, and not one meant to offend.

erm it wasnt about queer being used as an insult. it was about the other guy saying straight ppl arent allowed to use the term queer but gay ppl are and claiming it would be on the same level as faggot and the n word. please follow up on the conversation before you lecture me.

i also didnt claim there was an increase of gay slurs, i said the term " gay" is increasingly used as an insult, for example as a synonym for bad/rubbish.
(edited 12 years ago)
Gay was a label placed by heterosexuals because of the stereotypes of male homosexuals. Cheeriness, peppiness, flamboyancy. You know, the original definition of gay. So saying the word has evolved is not based on anything but the fact homophobia has turned gay into an insult, because homophobia leads people to think gay is bad. It's that simple. So, no, heterosexuals do not have the right to change the word at their whim, it's the gay communities' word, it's how they identify and it has social and personal history with them. Trivializing that is an insult.

Context is irrelevant in this case. This is about actions. Using gay as a pejorative is a negative action.

You're upset about being seen as cheerful, peppy and flamboyant? Those words just strike me as fun tbh. You've also just proved my point about the word evolving. Being a homosexual and being happy are seperate entities entirely. Just like being a homosexual and something being stupid/silly/annoying etc are seperate entities. Just like being 'overheated' and being 'attractive' aka 'hot', are seperate entities.

No, words aren't anyone's property. It might have relevance to the gay community fair enough, and I'm not saying that that should change, but it is also allowed to be used by other people.

How is context ever irrelevant? If I said 'It was my birthday yesterday, I was so gay' would you lash out at me for being homophobic?

This argument is so pointless. No one owns language, it is always changing, it will always change, you cannot stop it, you can only move with it. 'Queer' can sometimes be seen as offensive, but not always. You're being oversensitive, end of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending