The Student Room Group

Postgraduate fees 2012-2013

Hi All,
I have a question about new fees on PhD Architecture courses. I'm on my 3rd year BA but have to suspend this semester for a year. That means I will finish my undergraduate course in 2012. Will I pay new higher fees or they will remain the same as now? Someone told me that architecture courses BA and PhD are treated as a one long course therefore the fess are frozen for those who have been studing BA courses. Many thanks!
Ikar
Reply 1
BA (Hons) or Bsc (Hons) Part I courses and MArch, BArch or DipArch Part II courses are treated as one 5 year course for funding purposes and the course fee is frozen from when you start the first degree. No Architecture PHD falls under a Part I or Part II course so you are not eligible for any funding whatsoever and you pay the entire PHD fee yourself. Are you confusing a PHD with your Part II, I don't really think you are because no one could be in third year and not understand how RIBA Part I, II and III works? No PHD program is funded through the Student Loans Company directly, some grants are offered from certain bodies or university departments with the vast majority being for science related proposals, you'd be extremely lucky to find anyone offering art based PHD funding, anyone I know has paid out of their own pocket for their art or architecture PHD which is generally a dead end in practice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Ahh, yes - it seems I confused PhD with RIBA part II :smile: I meant obviously MArch, BArch or DipArch. That's great that the fee is frozen! Thank you for a reply :smile:
Original post by KeyserNI
BA (Hons) or Bsc (Hons) Part I courses and MArch, BArch or DipArch Part II courses are treated as one 5 year course for funding purposes and the course fee is frozen from when you start the first degree. No Architecture PHD falls under a Part I or Part II course so you are not eligible for any funding whatsoever and you pay the entire PHD fee yourself. Are you confusing a PHD with your Part II, I don't really think you are because no one could be in third year and not understand how RIBA Part I, II and III works? No PHD program is funded through the Student Loans Company directly, some grants are offered from certain bodies or university departments with the vast majority being for science related proposals, you'd be extremely lucky to find anyone offering art based PHD funding, anyone I know has paid out of their own pocket for their art or architecture PHD which is generally a dead end in practice.

I wouldn't be 100% certain of that. I emailed the RIBA and ARB several weeks ago, and the ARB seemed to imply it was at the discretion of the Universities, and that last time the fees went up they were indeed frozen for students who started under with the old fees, although this doesn't necessarily mean this will happen again. However this was only if you take no more than two years out. The RIBA said they didn't know.
Reply 4
Yes you're right I can't be certain that they will be frozen, under the previous two systems they were and you stayed under the system you started on. Its not up to the unversities it will be up to the higher education funding councils for different area's if you'd like a better answer I would consider contacting them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending