The Student Room Group

Gap year students not favoured?

Gap year students are not favoured by some universities ... or so I've heard.

Is this true, or complete nonsense?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds like nonsense.
Reply 2
I've heard that this is more often the case for Maths? Someone might want to correct me though.. :colondollar:
Reply 3
As far as I'm aware complete nonsense.

Although if it is true of some universities, what you did in your gap year would presumably be an important factor.
What I've heard Dundee don't like medic students who take gap years, they prefer them to take them after their degree...might just be a rumour though.
Reply 5
Original post by aliluvschoc

I've heard that this is more often the case for Maths? Someone might want to correct me though.. :colondollar:

Yeah. Most Cambridge colleges discourage it. If you scroll right to the bottom of this PDF, there's a table with more information about the attitudes of individual colleges: http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/guide.pdf
It's true for some universities, for some courses. A friend that's doing Maths, and one doing Electrical Engineering, at Cambridge, were told that deferring would hurt their chances.

On the other hand, I was told that taking a gap year would actually be good for my course - Archaeology and Anthropology at UCL - as long as I did something worthwhile and gained experience of the world from it.
Reply 7
I'm hoping this doesn't apply to design-based universities also.
Reply 8
I think the idea behind disliking gap years is that they could ask why you require an extra year compared to someone who isn't taking a gap year
Original post by juicystar

What I heard from my friend doing Maths at Cambridge is that they felt he wouldn't gain anything from the gap year, and the work ethic he'd built up at school would suffer. Whereas, for my course, they felt that a gap year really would be beneficial to my studies.

It would be a good idea to ask the heads of department for wherever you're applying.
Reply 10

If you used the time well (i.e. building up a better portfolio), I can't see why that would hinder you in any way. I think that for maths students and the like the argument goes that they will fall out of the certain academic 'mind-set' or whatever, and so be less able to apply themselves to the course as they would be if they had come straight from school. (though again this is just what a couple of people have told me. I'm not sure why they told me, I'm awful at maths lol)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Jace Falco
What I heard from my friend doing Maths at Cambridge is that they felt he wouldn't gain anything from the gap year, and the work ethic he'd built up at school would suffer. Whereas, for my course, they felt that a gap year really would be beneficial to my studies.

It would be a good idea to ask the heads of department for wherever you're applying.

If you used the time well (i.e. building up a better portfolio), I can't see why that would hinder you in any way.

Since hearing about gap students not being favoured by others at my college (students and tutors), it's slightly put me off the idea.

But this probably doesn't apply to all universities.

I've only considered taking a gap year because like you said, it'll give me time to prepare a better portfolio and apply for a few short courses.
(edited 12 years ago)
Since hearing about gap students not being favoured by others at my college (students and tutors), it's slightly put me off the idea.

But this probably doesn't apply to all universities.

I've only considered taking a gap year because like you said, it'll give me time to prepare a better portfolio and apply for a few short courses.

Best not to take a gap year if you are finishing A-Levels this year so you can dodge the fee increase.
Reply 13
It depends. I know students who read languages at Cambridge(at least according to the website) are actively encouraged to go on gap years to speak the relevant language(s), and I imagine they'd get some awkward questions at interview if they refused to take a gap year.
Original post by canimakeit
Best not to take a gap year if you are finishing A-Levels this year so you can dodge the fee increase.

That's a fair point.
Reply 15
Original post by canimakeit

But that's only for my first year, right?

After 2011, surely I'll have to pay £9,000+ for my second and third year of the degree course. Or have I got this wrong?
Reply 16

After 2011, surely I'll have to pay £9,000+ for my second and third year of the degree course. Or have I got this wrong?

That's wrong. If you go to uni in 2011 entry, you will only need to pay the lower fees for your first, second and third year.
Reply 17
Original post by Zottula
That's wrong. If you go to uni in 2011 entry, you will only need to pay the lower fees for your first, second and third year.

It may sound insane, but I'd still prefer to take the year out, only because I'm not ready.

But I was just concerned if there's a negative stigma attached to students going on gap years.
Reply 18
It may sound insane, but I'd still prefer to take the year out, only because I'm not ready.

But I was just concerned if there's a negative stigma attached to students going on gap years.

Nah, that's not insane. If you are not ready yet and have things you want to do in your gap year then go for it. In general I don't think there is a negative stigma attached at all. In many cases unis like them as they already have the grades so it makes it easier for them to judge you. Also, gap year students are often just that bit more mature. If you do something worthwhile in your gap year then that counts in your favour.

I've dropped out of one uni, and am now on a half gap year, and I have reapplied to other unis for the same subject, I have had no problem getting offers. You'd think they'd attach some sort of stigma towards someone who'd dropped out of the same subject elsewhere. Admittedly, it is not for the most popular of subjects though....

If you enter in 2011 then your fee will remain the same for the whole of your course, if you enter 2012+ then depending on the university and course (but since the average fee is £8700 or so you probably end up paying £9000) you will be paying £4000-9000.

If your not ready maybe you should apply now do your first year then take a year out?

Quick Reply

Latest