The Student Room Group

I have a simple puzzle which I doubt anyone here will be able to solve.

7 men, A B C D E F G are staying in a hotel for 15 days. Every day the men gather to dine round a circular table. No man is ever sat next to the same 2 neighbours on more than 1 day. Can you come up with a seating arrangement for the 7 men on the 15 days. There is a solution, but none of the men found it.

edit: to all the clever buggers, there are only 15 seats.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You didn't say the table could only seat 15. Or that there were no other guests.

So they sit at a circular table that will seat more than fiftenn, and just mix it up every night. Sorted.
They dont sit next to each other at a circle table like king arthur?
Come dine with me just got Mathematical :awesome:
:holmes: Give me a minute
I've got nothing :ashamed2:
Reply 6
Bet I could brute force it
Reply 7
Original post by Joinedup
Bet I could brute force it

I'd like to see you try brute forcing 14! different combinations.
Reply 8
One of them gets sick from the Sushi served on Wednesday night, meaning two people sit next to nobody on Thursday and possibly Friday or even Saturday too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Does the table have to have exactly 7 men sitting at it? could there be more people who are not named in the question but sit at the same table anyway?

I'm gonna guess that's the answer on the basis that it's supposed to be a simple problem.
Reply 10
Original post by methusaleh

7 men, A B C D E F G are staying in a hotel for 15 days. Every day the men gather to dine round a circular table. No man is ever sat next to the same 2 neighbours on more than 1 day. Can you come up with a seating arrangement for the 7 men on the 15 days. There is a solution, but none found it.

I have no idea, what is the answer?
if the table sits 15, then seat the guests in the pattern of: guest, seat, guest, seat.....etc

that way none of the men will sit next to any of the guests and therefore it is impossible for a man to be seated next to two same neighbours due to the simple fact...that he doesn't have any :biggrin:
tl;cba
Reply 13
Original post by Manitude
Does the table have to have exactly 7 men sitting at it? could there be more people who are not named in the question but sit at the same table anyway?

I'm gonna guess that's the answer on the basis that it's supposed to be a simple problem.

A simple problem, no tricks.
Reply 14
Surely theres just a gap between each one?

then none of them have any neighbours to be the same...
Reply 15
This is easy.
Reply 17
Original post by methusaleh
A simple problem, no tricks.

They aren't staying in the same hotel?

Scratch that - they don't sit around the same table.

Can I haz prize now?
(edited 12 years ago)
If they don't want to sit next to the same people, they can scamper off to another ****ing table.
Reply 19
It's simple just kill them all of until only 1 survives.

Quick Reply

Latest