The Student Room Group

MORSE or ACTUARIAL SCIENCE

Hello everyone,

I have a place to do the 3 year MORSE course and a place to do an Actuarial Science course. I would like to become an actuary and hence would prefer the course that enables me to obtain the most exemptions.

Please could you help me by giving me some information as to which course does offer the most exemptions and whether there is a minimum exam grade which determines whether or not someone is eligible for the exemptions.

Lastly, when applying for a job after graduating, which course would have more weightage (assuming that I would have done equally well in either).

Thank you for your time and efforts.
Well where are your offers from? Different unis will offer different numbers of exemptions.
If you pass certain modules on your uni course, you can then apply for exemptions from examinations which contain that course content.
As for your last question, both these courses would be suitable, and the difference in "preference" by employers would be very minimal. People even go into this field with music degrees! (as seen from another thread on here :lol: )
Original post by anekha
Hello everyone,

I have a place to do the 3 year MORSE course and a place to do an Actuarial Science course. I would like to become an actuary and hence would prefer the course that enables me to obtain the most exemptions.

Please could you help me by giving me some information as to which course does offer the most exemptions and whether there is a minimum exam grade which determines whether or not someone is eligible for the exemptions.

Lastly, when applying for a job after graduating, which course would have more weightage (assuming that I would have done equally well in either).

Thank you for your time and efforts.
Take a look at this site. It lists all the exemptions you get from different undergrad/postgrad courses.

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/students/pages/university-courses-and-exemptions

If it's the morse course at Warwick you're thinking of only the Masters has any exemptions, the BSc has none. The most exemptions you can gain on an undergrad course is 8. To become FIA you need to pass 15 exams so if you have 8 exemptions you're well on your way.

If you definitely want to be an actuary then getting as many exemptions as you can would be the better choice.

If you have a rummage around the site there is information on how employers view Act Sci/Non-Act Sci degrees.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies!
Wll the Actuarial Science course is at Manchester and the MORSE course is at Warwick.
Reply 4
Original post by arabcnesbit
Take a look at this site. It lists all the exemptions you get from different undergrad/postgrad courses.

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/students/pages/university-courses-and-exemptions

If it's the morse course at Warwick you're thinking of only the Masters has any exemptions, the BSc has none. The most exemptions you can gain on an undergrad course is 8. To become FIA you need to pass 15 exams so if you have 8 exemptions you're well on your way.

If you definitely want to be an actuary then getting as many exemptions as you can would be the better choice.

If you have a rummage around the site there is information on how employers view Act Sci/Non-Act Sci degrees.

Thanks for the site, I had a look at it and its for the Undergrad course, so I can be looking at 8 exemptions.
So in terms of employability, a degree from either of there Unis would be good?
Original post by anekha
Thanks for the site, I had a look at it and its for the Undergrad course, so I can be looking at 8 exemptions.

If you're doing the MMORSE at Warwick, I don't think you'll be short of opportunities.

It's regarded as one of the best numerate degree's you can get in the UK.

Anywhere that has 8 exemptions is going to be a good course since that is the most number of exemptions you can currently get for an undergrad course. Even LSE only has the 7 I think.

It does kind of put the pressure on right from the start of your degree though. I'm in first year doing Act Sci and I have 3 exams this year that count towards my exemptions. Also most people on my course find the maths modules far easier than the Act Sci ones and the maths modules also have much higher average marks so if you're doing Morse or Act Sci, prepare to have to put a lot of work into your degree right from the start.

Unfortunately it is not a subject you can wing it through the year and cram for your exams. (As I'm finding out the hard way :frown:)
Original post by anekha

It's 7 max, they don't offer CT5 :tongue:
Out of manchester and warwick, i would actually reccommend warwick, because manchesters actsci course is actually fairly new, and the first graduates from it will only be graduating this year/next year (can't quite remember)
:smile:
Reply 7
I think it will be wawick then! Thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by supernova92
It's 7 max, they don't offer CT5 :tongue:
Out of manchester and warwick, i would actually reccommend warwick, because manchesters actsci course is actually fairly new, and the first graduates from it will only be graduating this year/next year (can't quite remember)
:smile:

ops 7 then! so warwick will have more experience with students going into the field then! Thanks!
Reply 9
If you're doing the MMORSE at Warwick, I don't think you'll be short of opportunities.

It's regarded as one of the best numerate degree's you can get in the UK.

Anywhere that has 8 exemptions is going to be a good course since that is the most number of exemptions you can currently get for an undergrad course. Even LSE only has the 7 I think.

It does kind of put the pressure on right from the start of your degree though. I'm in first year doing Act Sci and I have 3 exams this year that count towards my exemptions. Also most people on my course find the maths modules far easier than the Act Sci ones and the maths modules also have much higher average marks so if you're doing Morse or Act Sci, prepare to have to put a lot of work into your degree right from the start.

Unfortunately it is not a subject you can wing it through the year and cram for your exams. (As I'm finding out the hard way :frown:)

Its actually the MORSE course i applied for not MORSE, will there be a big difference? thanks for the advice!HARD work from the start! Best of luck with your exams!
Original post by anekha
Its actually the MORSE course i applied for not MORSE, will there be a big difference? thanks for the advice!HARD work from the start! Best of luck with your exams!

I think you only get the exemptions on the MMORSE. Not 100% sure though so I'd just contact Warwick and ask them to make sure. Do well on either course and you'd pretty much walk into an actuarial position with or without any exemptions, it just means you'd have more FIA exams to do.

I'll need more than luck, the rate I'm going.

Reply 11
I think you only get the exemptions on the MMORSE. Not 100% sure though so I'd just contact Warwick and ask them to make sure. Do well on either course and you'd pretty much walk into an actuarial position with or without any exemptions, it just means you'd have more FIA exams to do.

I'll need more than luck, the rate I'm going.

Thank you again :smile: I will check with Warwick!

Quick Reply

Latest