The Student Room Group

Post your stereotypical views of students..

Post your stereotypical views of students in a variety of courses. Note this thread is not about discussing how valid these stereotypes are or contrasting peoples stereotypes, its merely about the stereotypes you possess!

Economics - Generally have a good work ethic yet can come across as a bit pretentious and arrogant. Economics students are also quick to write off other courses as 'inferior'. Imo the typical economics students dresses quite average (as stated, imo, based on my experiences).

Math/physics - Either anti-social or extremely witty people! Generally quite down to earth but can come across as rather plain and boring at times. Generally dresses quite liberally/new age

Psychology/Sociology - Social people. At times a bit too social. However a few of them are quite introverted and weird but the majority are social and very outgoing. Can be quite prententious and arrogant but are generally down to earth. Some of them are obssessed with logic (caused by the style of essay writing in psychology). Dresses casually and it's sometimes possible to distinguish them from other based on their clothing attire. Alcoholists.

Politics - Intellectual and well-versed students. Very insightful and can be quite arrogant. Generally though they're nice people who are well-rounded. Tends to drink alot. Dresses quite smart & upscale.

Business/Management/Accounting - Laidback & driven people. Can be very sociable! Tend to be overly optimistic and seem to lack an ability to maintain a realistic perspective! Dresses similar to Politics students (a minority of them though resemble the Economics crowd).

Feel free to add any more details e.g. - how much they party/drink, appearance, ethnicity, anything! Remember though this thread is encouraging you to say what prejudices you have about other students on other courses, the opinions expressed here are purely subjective and depends largely on the university and the town/city in which it is based!

edit: why all the negs? Stereotypes do exist! There is no point 'disagreeing' about someones stereotypical views as everything is, and will always be, subjective!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nunugab

Economics - normally too focused on their work seem to be stuck up unhelpful and sometimes rude. Economics students due to being stuck up see everyone else as beneath them apart from law/higher ranking groups.

Math/physics - Very social, but not many people understand them so are seen as outcasts or boring, prefer to be alone when doing work and get verry touchy of people near them.

Psychology/Sociology - always trying to rack your brain book before cover kind of motto can be verry offensive as they may cross the line often.Some of them are obssessed with logic (caused by the style of essay writing in psychology). Dresses casually and it's sometimes possible to distinguish them from other based on their clothing attire.

Politics - Intellectual and well-versed students. Very insightful and can be quite arrogant (stuck up normally). Generally though they're nice people who are well-rounded. Tends to drink strnzong liquour. Dresses quite smart & upscale always looking down at the lower classes.

Business/Management/Accounting - Laidback & driven people. Can be very sociable! Tend to be overly optimistic and seem to lack an ability to bring the country forward where other classes can not hence having the right motives. Dress changes (im one) and other students are normally laid back to their attitude and clothes some are fully suited where others are t shirt and jeans.

Dang ive edited your post, to my own opinions I thought this was going be about university students. Etc higher ranking universities like cambridge and oxford normally have strong willed and minded people however normally arrogant apart from the nice few that have not been brough up with a golden spoon in their mouths.
Reply 2
Original post by Smilingsam
Dang ive edited your post, to my own opinions I thought this was going be about university students. Etc higher ranking universities like cambridge and oxford normally have strong willed and minded people however normally arrogant apart from the nice few that have not been brough up with a golden spoon in their mouths.

It is essentially about university students you have come across. We all have some stereotypes of students studying certain courses. I just thought It'd be interesting to see what stereotypes people have! You don't have to base it on 'reality' rather just your stereotypical view of a student studying certain subjects!
Original post by nunugab
It is essentially about university students you have come across. We all have some stereotypes of students studying certain courses. I just thought It'd be interesting to see what stereotypes people have! You don't have to base it on 'reality' rather just your stereotypical view of a student studying certain subjects!

They are the opinions of students ive met, I know quite a few students from different courses. As well as meeting students from oxbridge which have been included in my post.

I know you said dont have to base on reality but as ive met them might as well.
Reply 4
General - Procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate.
Reply 5
You missed out medics. What's your opinion on them?
Original post by nunugab
Just thought of a rather interesting idea, what stereotypical views do you hold of students studying certain subjects and why? I'll start it off;

Psychology/Sociology - Social people. At times a bit too social. However a few of them are quite introverted and weird but the majority are social and very outgoing. Can be quite prententious and arrogant but are generally down to earth. Some of them are obssessed with logic (caused by the style of essay writing in psychology). Dresses casually and it's sometimes possible to distinguish them from other based on their clothing attire. Alcoholists.

LOL

What?

I don't think you can stereotype many students based on how they act and what they wear.

Pretty much everyone, unless your 6th form requires a uniform, dresses casually.

Most students drink.

A logical style of answering essay questions is the case in every essay subject.
Original post by Naomiimoan
You missed out medics. What's your opinion on them?

Not a stereotype but you can spot them in Durham, and they all seem to wear the same style of shirt :biggrin:
Reply 8
Medics: Work hard and party harder.

At Keele anyway!
Original post by ilickbatteries
Not a stereotype but you can spot them in Durham, and they all seem to wear the same style of shirt :biggrin:

What?
Original post by tig ol bitties
What?

This style, but in different colours.

I dunno, maybe it was just them two but they both had the same design shirt on.

That said I was once on the bus to Durham on a night out and a group of 5 or 6 lads (not students) got on the bus and they ALL had the same shirt on :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sheep!
Original post by Blueflare
Medics: Work hard and party harder.

At Keele anyway!

I've never understood why medics always say they work hard and party harder...don't all students do that?
I've never understood why medics always say they work hard and party harder...don't all students do that?

Not as much as medics
Original post by No Future
Not as much as medics

Oh. How come?
Oh. How come?

Because they are medics and they study medicine

Does that mean that they must work harder than all students and therefore party harder than all students?
Reply 16

Circular logic, tsk tsk :biggrin:
Does that mean that they must work harder than all students and therefore party harder than all students?

No, but medics often have a very high workload compared to many subjects

And they need to let out steam

(This is not to say that other students don't work hard/party hard, but it's a medic stereotype)
Original post by alexmsf
Circular logic, tsk tsk :biggrin:

:biggrin: Lol

It's actually not circular logic. "because they study medicine" should be self evident
No, but medics often have a very high workload compared to many subjects

And they need to let out steam

(This is not to say that other students don't work hard/party hard, but it's a medic stereotype)

Oh, ok then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending