The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9420
Diaby and Vermaelen are out for sunday's match.
Reply 9421
Henry to play against us in the Emirates Cup!!
Reply 9422
It seems Vermaelen did well in the goalless draw against Manchester United Reserves last night, then. :yy:

Also, Dutch club VVV-Venlo sign 18-month old starlet on a 10-year deal

Reports that Arsene Wenger made a late bid to bring Baerke to Arsenal with the promise of first-team football are as yet unconfirmed.

:rofl:
(edited 12 years ago)
After a 3min cameo against Madrid Sergi Roberto is now on Arsenal's wish list.
I can tell you one player who won't be leaving Arsenal this summer (unless it's to another London club) - Emmanuel Eboué.

Reason being that he's rented out a property to the new Arsenal signing Serge Gnabry (who is German/Ivorian) and helping him and his family adjust to life in the country. He's definitely another one for the future as he doesn't turn 16 until mid-July, and has been capped 4 times (1 goal) by the German U-16 side.
In addition, Craig Eastmond has returned from his loan at Millwall early due to a broken leg.
Reply 9426
Original post by Richiboi
Indeed. He is largely responsible for the difficulties Clichy has. If he had a proper worker in front, he would be just as good, like he was when we had whoever in front of him a couple years back.

I believe that was Rosicky before his injury. It's sad that Rosicky isn't the same as he was before his injury.
Reply 9427
Original post by marcusmerehay
In addition, Craig Eastmond has returned from his loan at Millwall early due to a broken leg.

:frown: That sucks. He's one of the players I was hoping would make the jump to the bench next season.
Original post by Abiraleft
It seems Vermaelen did well in the goalless draw against Manchester United Reserves last night, then. :yy:

That kid's better than me :colondollar:
Original post by Abiraleft

I love his signature at the bottom :tongue:
Reply 9430
why do i have a feeling we are gonna win tomorrow :/ and it will make NO difference and we will end up kicking ourselves wishing we won the last few...
In fairness, it's not over til it's mathematically over, so if we win tomorrow (which we simply have to) and Chelsea win at OT, there is still a glimmer of hope.

It would certainly make the last couple of games interesting.

Having said that, I'd much rather Utd won the title than Chelsea given that Utd have only lost 3 games all season and remain unbeaten (thus far) at OT.
You guys need to just focus on yourselves and ensure you don't further slip down the table. You obviously don't deserve to win the PL title and you need to arrest this alarming slump of yours, ever since the Carling Cup final really.

I say 'alarming' but it happens season after season with Arsenal...

I do love the business end of the football season. So much to play for, in all areas of the league, in all football leagues. Teams crumble under pressure, others excel, seperates the men from the boyz.
'Obviously don't deserve to win' is a huge exaggeration.

Yes, our home record has been poor for a title-chasing side this season, but we've still got the best away record in the league by quite some distance.

Having lost fewer games than Chelsea we certainly deserve to finish higher than them, and over the course of the season we've still only conceded 4 more goals than Utd. :dontknow:
Reply 9434
I don't mind if we don't win the PL now, but atleast get the 2nd place!
As someone who represented England in a World Cup semi-final as well as the Euro 96 semi-final, Platt does have opinions that should be shared. He has his doubts about the practicalities of preparing an England team for matches at Wembley at a National Football Centre in Burton. He also questions the value of making Jack Wilshere play in this summer's European Under 21 Championship.
'The boy is now playing in Arsenal's first team, playing in the Champions League, playing for England, so I'm not sure what he's going to learn in an Under 21 tournament,' said Platt. 'The level he's now playing at is superior to Under 21 level. There might be an argument that says the tournament experience would be useful but the argument needs to be counter-balanced by the physical damage that could be done to the player.
'He's played a great deal of football already this season and part of his development is a substantial rest in the summer that allows him to progress next season and finish it with a strong performance in the European Championship.'

I'm sure you all agree but I always think it's nice to have your opinion backed up by an expert.
Original post by marcusmerehay
'Obviously don't deserve to win' is a huge exaggeration.

Yes, our home record has been poor for a title-chasing side this season, but we've still got the best away record in the league by quite some distance.

Having lost fewer games than Chelsea we certainly deserve to finish higher than them, and over the course of the season we've still only conceded 4 more goals than Utd. :dontknow:

IMO, any team, especially a title-challenging team, that loses a 4 goal lead in the space of 20-30 minutes of a second half, frankly does not deserve to win the league title. That was just farcical. I know we've let leads slip, most notably to Everton away from home (and a few other examples), but losing that 4 goal lead was inexplicable. Piss poor.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
IMO, any team, especially a title-challenging team, that loses a 4 goal lead in the space of 20-30 minutes of a second half, frankly does not deserve to win the league title. That was just farcical. I know we've let leads slip, most notably to Everton away from home (and a few other examples), but losing that 4 goal lead was inexplicable. Piss poor.

As I said at the time, having 10 men away from home never helps, but the game really exemplified what a terrible signing Squillaci was, because we were 4-0 up at the time he came on to replace an injured Djourou.

Although, yes, the team did capitulate in the second half of that game.

But picking out a single game from an otherwise fairly good season is incredibly easy. How about when Utd won the league in 96-97 despite being hammered 5-0 by Newcastle and 6-3 by Southampton in the space of a week?
Original post by white_haired_wizard

Didn't know you couldn't challenge for the league but still deserve to win it.
Original post by Kreuzuerk
Didn't know you couldn't challenge for the league but still deserve to win it.

You were challenging up until late Feb or whenever it was, but the wheels always come off at this point of the season for Arsenal. Perhaps I was being generous labelling Arsenal as title contenders. Didn't think they would be prior to the season and during xmas but I bizarrely changed my mind thereafter. Should have known better given how we all know that Arsenal have this great ability to crumble at the business end of seasons.

Latest