The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

let's 'clear-up' the matter of broadgate park 2011

Hiya guys

I've come across reviews online about BGP

Mice, insects and creepy crawlies, paper thin walls, water drip through from shower above, rude staff, disgusting

Please do share is it true?

Reviews were from 2008 and some from 2010 really worried hate dirt and not fan of non pet mice insects the whole let, plus shower is best comfort in my life

What about this unite st peter's court only worry there is I was going through hard times elsewhere and I did pay unite all that I owed but maybe they be pissed that due to ill health my contract ended sooner they lost money.

What of Opal 1 they any good? Going in private for year 1 mean I get less of uni expirence? Am 24 took longer to get here and I ain't no good with mixing wi folk so the accommodation gotta be alright

Cheers

Should know in 2 weeks if I got place, kinda put of by accommodation I need en suite for medical reasons
Reply 1
Paper thin wall is true...but that's to be expected from any university accommodation...
However, when I stayed in BGP, it was alright. I didn't see any mice or insects considering they have cleaners to clean the kitchen.
There might have been some incident of water flooding the shower and overly annoying fire alarm at all hours :/

I don't know anything about SPC or Opal 1.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Apart from it always being a bit loud, I haven't seen anyone complaining about BGP on here - and I would trust people from here over random review sites. Things are cleaned although to an extent it relies on you and your flatmates to clean them, so if it's gross then you should sort it out yourself. But honestly, I really did my research before applying for accommodation and I really haven't heard anything remotely like that on here.

The people on that site have probably had bad experiences themselves but consider that 2000 people live there and that's all you can find over about 3/4 years. People that are angry for whatever reason will go out of their way to vent on those kind of sites, whereas where people had a decent experience won't be fussed about telling everyone.
Reply 3
Online reviews for anything in general tend to be either very negative or very positive. Nobody will go online and just type 'yeah, it was alright', which pretty much how I would describe BGP.
Reply 4
My brother is currently at Broadgate Park (he's actually the guy in the video on the BGP website :P) and I from what I've seen of it I like it. His flat seems completely satisfactory to me; his room is a little bigger then those I've seen at other unis, the kitchen (aside from the mess left by him and his roomates) was all you could need. Perhaps it might have been quite derelict before but it certainly isn't now :smile:
Reply 5
Broadgate is completely fine; the walls are thin, but they've refurbished the older blocks so yeah. I've never heard of ANYONE complaining about rats or whatever; and certainly never seen one.
Haha no this is simply not true. I read the same reviews before i came to BGP and was so worried.
I'm staying in one of the supposedly "ghetto" blocks but they were refurbished last year and all my friends who come to visit are very impressed.
BGP staff have been, in my opinion, lovely and i haven't seen one spider in my entire time here!
Reply 7
I'm currently in a studio on BGP and (touchwood) I've never seen a single bug in my room! :biggrin: I've not seen much of the shared kitchen/bathroom acommodation but definitely where I'm staying there are no problems with mice or anything.

If you're in your room and other people are in theirs, you can't really hear them. And if you can it's just a dull buzz, definitely not to the point where it would keep you awake. The only time noise is a problem is when people are in the corridor.

Studio kitchens are pretty rubbish and I've had problems with the appliances but they've been replaced or fixed really quickly. And the maintenance and security staff are really lovely. The only problem I've had is getting somebody to come and replace my bathroom light, I was showering in the dark for about 2 weeks >_<

But yeah, can't really fault BGP to be honest. Plus Londis and Unity Cafe are just amazing, I don't know how I'll cope without them next year!

EDIT: I will just say, I've heard the BGP ensuites are gone already this year. The studios really aren't as bad as people say! The kitchen is VERY cosy and it does mean you have to make a bit more of an effort to go out and meet people, but my friends in shared kitchens are dead jealous of me not having to deal with other people's mess :')
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Soooo glad i came across this question, read the reviews and was really freaking out! so i hope its ok. Just got my accomodation, an ensuite also due to medical reasons and sent away my deposit!!
Reply 9
Londis is way overpriced tbh. Only go if you are desperate.
Reply 10
Hiya all!
Thank you for all your replies, apologies for the late response
@ Wanischa fire alarms tell me about it; I stayed at 1 of these Unite places and having to get out of bed middle of the night to stand in the cold, for no real reason - not even the ladies with barely anything on made it any worthwhile :wink: cute pic btw
@ Miahrose yep I get wot u mean flamers online with chips on their shoulder b*tching bout summat or other, TSF is good source of info n some real interesting threads I’ve come across relationship advice is good read thank goodness for the singles option =]
@ Dan, making love music is it lol yeah every time I hear akon it realy is na na na (as in no no no) for a quite shy lass gf of flat dude next door she sure was vocal! good to know they’ve been doing things up n luxury haha come from a big Asian family who dint know the math of 7 kids 2 bedroom house so I aint fussy, my rooms very clean but untidy, I hauled all my stuff when i ran away to uni last time, I dare not take all mi games n my ltd ed stuff safest wi family
@ Jay to the point i like it, didn’t wanna miss u out :P
@ Herbz, I’ll check the vid out cheers :smile:
@ThBigCh youtube sure I saw a vid of these lasses freaking out in their room looking for a rat or summat haha maybe a drunken hoax some crazy folk at uni lol
@Veggie4life love the handle u have, hardly know what to eat but I know where meat comes from really puts me off hope to try some veggie stuff. I’d post a link to the ones I read but no worries they were very one sided and no longer matter!
@ spacegirlx remind me of space ghost some cartoon thinggey I forgot about. Wow a studio hmm I had fancied one of those but thought I’d feel lonely. Shared kitchen I’ll be the mother hen I’ll clean up after the mucky-pups like a hygiene freak! Shower in the dark, sounds kind of sensual, alluring, don’t blame you could be anyone lurking in there haha I had no shower stand it feel down luckly I wasn’t under it would have knocked some sense into me, perhaps a bump could give certain things a enhancement swelling up that is south of the border joke maybe too blokey for you to get, tar much for the info, I’m proper shy n have the worst luck in befriending people dunno if a studio would suit me may seem big n empty n likely to haul all my stuff just to fill up the place :/
@lebarlow1, chuffed for ya, good on ya, so glad you got one as for me

Got an unsuccessful for social work I have tones of volunteer work n I done all I can to address past issues, guess I am to emo n life experiences they want probably need some positive ones but uni would be a new life exp hopefully a positive one oh well life goes on, sociology and social policy is in extra or this cotemporary Chinese looks great, what a year! Can’t be a nurse for they concerned one subtle knock and I’ll go blind - still will go climbing n horse riding^^ social work not strong willed enuf rather sensitive n emo :/

PS neway I can change my handle??? I let everyone frm my past go n ppl say they will find me no matter where I go, uni is a fresh start dunt luck like its gonna happen this year 12 pieces of chemistry due before Easter holz come on July goodbye access course good bye further education! Started my gcses at age 11 what a waste, u have disabled kids don’t let their special school deny them a re-sit for their gcses at age 14 if they happen to be in hospital for 2 months I were getting B grades in past papers for 3 years in a row lost my first chance to shine n education is just pressure now, merits and distinction for someone who has had less that 50% attendance I can’t be as thick as I think =D

Best wishes all =D
Reply 11
Is there catered food on BGP?
Reply 12
Original post by KingThiv
Is there catered food on BGP?

Nope. There is a cafe that you can go to if you feel too lazy to cook. Alternatively, there are 485738534543 take away places in Beeston, so if you can't be asked to cook you can just roll to Beeston :wink:
Reply 13
Fings wot this thread haz taught me:

If I have horny flatmates, it's going to be a long year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending