The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Glee Society... No Future Spoilers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by magnum.opus
That makes sense. I'm glad I will have a way to watch recent Glee episodes when I'm in England :smile: And you have US friends? How did ya'll meet? (I have no friends outside of the US, except those I find here on TSR)

Some I met while they were studying here, but 2 of my best friends I met on afterellen. I'm the master of internet friends.
Reply 3761

Spoiler

I find the androgyny really attractive :wink:
Original post by e hine e

Some I met while they were studying here, but 2 of my best friends I met on afterellen. I'm the master of internet friends.

Oooooh, so are you a lesbian (or bisexual) since you use afterellen? (no judgement :h:)

And internet friends are great to have :yes:

Edit: You can send me a private/public message if you want, since this isn't really Glee related :lol: Or you don't have to respond, either- your personal life is your business, too :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by Toph
I find the androgyny really attractive :wink:

:eek4:

Nah, I'm just kidding. To each his own :yep: So I guess you find the long hair of 80s rock stars super sexy??
Reply 3764
Original post by museobsessed
the crazies on here who know what you're talking about on the last few episodes watch live streams of US Tv or torrent episodes once they've been uploaded hence they can watch the episodes before they come out here.

Am I the only one who isn't even going to try to deny that I'm crazy? I was born this way :dontknow:

You guys are getting "Night of Neglect" on Monday?! Wow, there is definitely a gap :s: My apologies; I won't ruin any more episodes.... but didn't you find it shocking how Kurt died in the latest episode?!

jk :lol:

So nice to see someone new in here - hi! :biggrin:
Here in Belgium we just started with season 2 :sad: I watch at US pace though.

Oh wow :zomg: I guess I will have to get used to the delay when I arrive in England for uni. :frown:

Which university, if you don't mind me being curious? :smile: I'm planning to apply to the US for 2012 entry. Your application system is insane by the way :tongue:

Original post by Ambs
Am I the only one who isn't even going to try to deny that I'm crazy? I was born this way :dontknow:

So nice to see someone new in here - hi! :biggrin:
Here in Belgium we just started with season 2 :sad: I watch at US pace though.

Which university, if you don't mind me being curious? :smile: I'm planning to apply to the US for 2012 entry. Your application system is insane by the way :tongue:

SO CLEVER! +rep :yes:

You're from Belgium, hmm?! That's awesome! I have thought of living in Belgium since it's so gay-friendly (at least from what I've read, with it being the first country to allow gay marriage and such). Am I right? And I will be studying German (and Philosophy) at the Uni. of Bristol next year, so I can practice my German there, too! It's perfect :smile:

Yes, the US application process is hell! What American unis. are you looking at? And best of luck!

Edit: I actually like to watch Beauty and the Beast in German to help me hear the language :biggrin: I thought that was funny, with your avatar and all :lol:

Edit2: I looked up Belgium and same-sex marriage to make sure I wasn't wrong- I guess it was 2nd not 1st. My bad :teehee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3766
SO CLEVER! +rep :yes:

You're from Belgium, hmm?! That's awesome! I have thought of living in Belgium since it's so gay-friendly (at least from what I've read, with it being the first country to allow gay marriage and such). Am I right? And I will be studying German (and Philosophy) at the Uni. of Bristol next year, so I can practice my German there, too! It's perfect :smile:

Yes, the US application process is hell! What American unis. are you looking at? And best of luck!

Edit: I actually like to watch Beauty and the Beast in German to help me hear the language :biggrin: I thought that was funny, with your avatar and all :lol:

Aww, thank you! :biggrin:

Belgium is pretty gay-friendly, especially if you know where to look. Cities like Antwerp and Ghent are generally very open-minded and accepting, and so is Brussels if you avoid certain parts of town.

Wow, congrats on the University of Bristol, that's amazing! And I admire your choice of study - I always found German really difficult! There is a small German-speaking community in Belgium, but it's mostly Dutch (my native language) and French :smile:

I watched Beauty and the Beast in German once when I was staying with friends, I loved it :biggrin: And yeah, it's my favourite film. I like to think I'm very much like Belle, except for the being a belle part :tongue:

I'm not sure yet, but I'm an ambitious freak so I'm looking at a few Ivy League universities at the moment :colondollar: Other than that I'm thinking of UC, especially UCLA 'cause that's one of the only places I actually know something about (my ex studied there). I'm mostly focussing on SAT's now, because if I don't do well I might just as well forget about most of my choices :tongue:

Original post by Ambs
Aww, thank you! :biggrin:

Belgium is pretty gay-friendly, especially if you know where to look. Cities like Antwerp and Ghent are generally very open-minded and accepting, and so is Brussels if you avoid certain parts of town.

Wow, congrats on the University of Bristol, that's amazing! And I admire your choice of study - I always found German really difficult! There is a small German-speaking community in Belgium, but it's mostly Dutch (my native language) and French :smile:

I watched Beauty and the Beast in German once when I was staying with friends, I loved it :biggrin: And yeah, it's my favourite film. I like to think I'm very much like Belle, except for the being a belle part :tongue:

I'm not sure yet, but I'm an ambitious freak so I'm looking at a few Ivy League universities at the moment :colondollar: Other than that I'm thinking of UC, especially UCLA 'cause that's one of the only places I actually know something about (my ex studied there). I'm mostly focussing on SAT's now, because if I don't do well I might just as well forget about most of my choices :tongue:

Awh, so German isn't as widely-spoken in Belgium as I thought :frown: Maybe I'll live in Eastern Belgium so I can be close to Germany, or western Germany so I can travel to Belgium :biggrin: But then I wouldn't be close to either Antwerp or Ghent :s: Lol, how complicated!

German is very difficult for me (I speak at the level of a 4-year-old, I'm sure :s-smilie:), so I'm hoping studying it at Bristol will help me master the subject :yep:

Belle is a good character to be like, for sure.

Wow! It's good that you are setting the bar high! UCLA is a fantastic school, as I'm sure your ex told you. Are you familiar with the college board website (www.collegeboard.com) that has information on various colleges' admissions criteria? The Princeton Review website also has interesting rankings of some U.S. schools based on what you're looking for, such as "most liberal schools" (http://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings.aspx). Those sites may help you decide where else to apply if you need ideas (there are a lot of great US universities that aren't part of the Ivy League :yes:)

I'm so glad I'm done with the SATs!! I feel your pain right now, I really do :sadnod: But it will all pay off!
Reply 3768
Awh, so German isn't as widely-spoken in Belgium as I thought :frown: Maybe I'll live in Eastern Belgium so I can be close to Germany, or western Germany so I can travel to Belgium :biggrin: But then I wouldn't be close to either Antwerp or Ghent :s: Lol, how complicated!

German is very difficult for me (I speak at the level of a 4-year-old, I'm sure :s-smilie:), so I'm hoping studying it at Bristol will help me master the subject :yep:

Belle is a good character to be like, for sure.

Wow! It's good that you are setting the bar high! UCLA is a fantastic school, as I'm sure your ex told you. Are you familiar with the college board website (www.collegeboard.com) that has information on various colleges' admissions criteria? The Princeton Review website also has interesting rankings of some U.S. schools based on what you're looking for, such as "most liberal schools" (http://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings.aspx). Those sites may help you decide where else to apply if you need ideas (there are a lot of great US universities that aren't part of the Ivy League :yes:)

I'm so glad I'm done with the SATs!! I feel your pain right now, I really do :sadnod: But it will all pay off!

Don't worry though; people here in Belgium understand German really well no matter where you go, and Dutch is very much alike German, only a lot easier. And West-Germany is pretty awesome, I go shopping there every now and then :biggrin:

Thanks for the tips, that's so kind of you :smile: I do know the Collegeboard, but I'll definitely take a look at Princeton Review. I think I'm setting the bar a little too high to be honest! My ex loved UCLA more than he ever loved me, so it has to be pretty awesome :tongue: The problem with being Belgian and ignorant is that I only ever heard of the most prestigious universities, not the ones I should probably be looking at... So I'm keeping the real research for when I get my SAT results and know what I can realistically aim for. Nothing too fancy, I bet :tongue:

Glad the SAT's worked out for you, I'm really dreading it! I'm afraid I'll mess up the essay or writing questions because I'm not a native English speaker, and at 21 I forgot about most of the maths too. I think I did ok in the practice test but I'm not even sure what many of these universities expect. Sorry, /rant :tongue:
Reply 3769
Chris is still walking around New York with his backpack. I love this guy.

http://twentysome-thing.tumblr.com/post/5050816394/chris#notes

I had a similar fozzy bear backpack from the muppets. I too looked that cool with it.

I love it too, and I'm sure you did :biggrin: I had a Ducktales backpack when I was a toddler, it was awesome. When my parents gave it to me I apparantly started hyperventilating out of pure excitement.

Internet friends are the best! They understand your crazy, they're in different timezones so there's always someone to talk to and they don't bother you while you're having sex with Darren Criss (and with having sex I mean watching his livestream).

Hugs all around! :hugs:

Original post by Ambs
Don't worry though; people here in Belgium understand German really well no matter where you go, and Dutch is very much alike German, only a lot easier. And West-Germany is pretty awesome, I go shopping there every now and then :biggrin:

Thanks for the tips, that's so kind of you :smile: I do know the Collegeboard, but I'll definitely take a look at Princeton Review. I think I'm setting the bar a little too high to be honest! My ex loved UCLA more than he ever loved me, so it has to be pretty awesome :tongue: The problem with being Belgian and ignorant is that I only ever heard of the most prestigious universities, not the ones I should probably be looking at... So I'm keeping the real research for when I get my SAT results and know what I can realistically aim for. Nothing too fancy, I bet :tongue:

Glad the SAT's worked out for you, I'm really dreading it! I'm afraid I'll mess up the essay or writing questions because I'm not a native English speaker, and at 21 I forgot about most of the maths too. I think I did ok in the practice test but I'm not even sure what many of these universities expect. Sorry, /rant :tongue:

Yeah, I've heard Dutch and German are quite similar (and that the former is much easier). Perhaps I should ditch the Deutsch and pick up the Dutch :mmm: Maybe, if my plans work out, you will see me in West-Germany while on one of your shopping excursions :yep: (you'll have to speak either German or English when you see me, though :ninja:)

What I like about collegeboard.com is that you can do a college match-maker search, submit your SAT scores when you get them, and the site will reveal universities that are looking for the same results (who knows, maybe Harvard et. al. will pop up :biggrin:). This will help clarify what each university expects, too. Princeton is great because you can look for colleges that match your taste :yes: And don't worry, many Americans aren't aware of the array of U.S. unis. either (they have heard of the Ivy League, but don't know that schools such as Swarthmore and Bowdoin even exist).

Your written English is great from what I have read (it's not only legible, but also fluid). If your essays are written in the same style, you will do great :smile: (hint: always remember that colleges look for authentic essays, so using a bunch of large words to sound educated is a sure way to get rejected)
You and your little fanfic mind :rofl: everyone seems to have Blaine being slushied in their head canons. I think I'd cry if that happened. I don't know why but even though Blaine has been portrayed as a role model he actually seems more vulnerable than Kurt to me. I am aware this is a fictional show by the way :ninja:

I remember hearing they were lesbians so when they took part in Eurovision I announced it to my mum :rofl: I was only just learning about being gay thanks to Will Young and Friends. I was a naive 12 year old, led a very sheltered life.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Firework! I am most certainly not a secret B*witched fan. Even typing out the * makes me shudder.

I think Blaine seems more vulnerable than Kurt too! Kurt has such good friends and family, I'm not sure Blaine has that. Yeah, he has people who worship him but thats not the same as a family of friends, is it? We've had that little snippet about his dad. Don't worry, I'm not one of the people thinking his dad's abusive- Blaine's far too well adjusted for that! But his dad tried to connect with him and we know Blaine *thought* his dad was trying to make him straight. I'm not convinced he was, but thinking your dad dislikes who you are has got to mess you up a bit! I'm convinced underneath that dapper exterior, he's secretly a huge flaming ball of angst! I'm desperate to hear what Darren has mapped out in his head because he knows so much about Blaine!

Random but

Spoiler

I was pretty sheltered too. I didn't know what gay was for years apart from the idiotic 'that's so gay' **** I learned without knowing the meaning in primary school. :mad: But somehow I knew one of my best friends was gay before I even knew the word. I sort of miss that innocence because while I was blind to a whole group of people, I was also blind to the prejudice.

If links are deleted we just find new ones. They're posted everywhere. If all else fails I'll get a friend in the US to put me on skype facing her TV and I can watch that way.

If you download Hotspot Shield you can watch the show through Hulu.com

I watch all my favourite US shows that way - only a 24 hr delay from first US showing.
Original post by Ambs
I love it too, and I'm sure you did :biggrin: I had a Ducktales backpack when I was a toddler, it was awesome. When my parents gave it to me I apparantly started hyperventilating out of pure excitement.

Internet friends are the best! They understand your crazy, they're in different timezones so there's always someone to talk to and they don't bother you while you're having sex with Darren Criss (and with having sex I mean watching his livestream).

You have no idea how much I blinked at that! :rofl:
I love Internet friends! Because I'm an antisocial so-and-so who won't go and see my real ones I have loads from the Chryed thread on Digital Spy (no judging... :tongue:), a few from other forums, a few from TSR and now a few from the Glee thread! It's nice not having to explain yourself! In real life (*ahem*) no one understands why you'd want to stay up until 1am to watch Glee or why you're smiling (Kliss gif) or crying at your computer screen! Or yes, *Ambs*, why you're making a 'gassy infant' expression at Darren Criss!

And on a random note: Ambs, your written English is better than some people who've spoken and written English their whole lives!
Can I just take a moment to say how awesome I think the next episode is going to be. New promo.

Spoiler

I can't believe how many posts were posted after I went off last night. Now I have to read them all.

Nah, I'm just kidding. To each his own :yep: So I guess you find the long hair of 80s rock stars super sexy??

I also find androgyny really attractive but I definitely don't like long haired 80s rock stars. I actually find them really masculine. I prefer Chris Colfer/Kurt (which one who knows?)/Ellen's style of androgyny. Like when they wear waistcoats/have kind of a good mixture of masculine/feminine traits. For me it's more to do with how they think than just their appearance.

Original post by Ambs

Can we all vote together too? :hugs:

Original post by diamonddust
I think Blaine seems more vulnerable than Kurt too! Kurt has such good friends and family, I'm not sure Blaine has that. Yeah, he has people who worship him but thats not the same as a family of friends, is it? We've had that little snippet about his dad. Don't worry, I'm not one of the people thinking his dad's abusive- Blaine's far too well adjusted for that! But his dad tried to connect with him and we know Blaine *thought* his dad was trying to make him straight. I'm not convinced he was, but thinking your dad dislikes who you are has got to mess you up a bit! I'm convinced underneath that dapper exterior, he's secretly a huge flaming ball of angst! I'm desperate to hear what Darren has mapped out in his head because he knows so much about Blaine!

Random but

Spoiler

I was pretty sheltered too. I didn't know what gay was for years apart from the idiotic 'that's so gay' **** I learned without knowing the meaning in primary school. :mad: But somehow I knew one of my best friends was gay before I even knew the word. I sort of miss that innocence because while I was blind to a whole group of people, I was also blind to the prejudice.

Spoiler

It's like you're in my head with Blaine (weird image, badly worded but whatever) I think Darren does an amazing job of making him seem vulnerable while portraying his outer confidence, especially as Darren really isn't the vulnerable type. I wish I could act :frown: I hope he gets his own storylines too (not at the expense of Kurt air time though) because he's mentioned Blaine's dad and how it would be good to explore that side of him. I'm interested in Blaine.
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by Ambs
don't bother you while you're having sex with Darren Criss (and with having sex I mean watching his livestream).

hahahaaha
also, I agree about internet friends. I have lots of Muse internet friends :biggrin: i've met a bunch of them at gigs as well, its awesome
For the gleestarkids (totally a word and totally on topic) Starship is released on youtube later today and I'm currently listening to the song previews on itunes :woo: (because I'm too cheap to actually buy them).
Reply 3778

Haha nooo... It's just that I find the femininity (or effeminancy if you will) of Kurt Hummel (who I think is definately more androgynous than Chris Colfer) to be really sexy :love:. Chris Colfer is super hot too but he's a lot less camp(?) than Kurt. I don't know if that's the right word to use, ha :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3779
Yeah, I've heard Dutch and German are quite similar (and that the former is much easier). Perhaps I should ditch the Deutsch and pick up the Dutch :mmm: Maybe, if my plans work out, you will see me in West-Germany while on one of your shopping excursions :yep: (you'll have to speak either German or English when you see me, though :ninja:)

What I like about collegeboard.com is that you can do a college match-maker search, submit your SAT scores when you get them, and the site will reveal universities that are looking for the same results (who knows, maybe Harvard et. al. will pop up :biggrin:). This will help clarify what each university expects, too. Princeton is great because you can look for colleges that match your taste :yes: And don't worry, many Americans aren't aware of the array of U.S. unis. either (they have heard of the Ivy League, but don't know that schools such as Swarthmore and Bowdoin even exist).

Your written English is great from what I have read (it's not only legible, but also fluid). If your essays are written in the same style, you will do great :smile: (hint: always remember that colleges look for authentic essays, so using a bunch of large words to sound educated is a sure way to get rejected)

Now that sounds like a plan! We'd have to go for English though, my German is just sad. I actually gave up on speaking German while in Germany - oddly enough, people are a lot more friendly when I speak English than when I try German (and fail).

That sounds really good, it should make the process a lot easier - I really think I'm wasting time at the moment with looking at universities I'll never get in.

I tried the Princeton Review College Search, and my best match is Syracuse University. I don't know a single one from my entire list, which really shows exactly how few universities I ever heard off. I do know Swarthmore though, yay!

Thank you so much! I want to study English so that compliment means a lot :smile: Wow, you've only been posting for a day and I love you already :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest