The Student Room Group

I'm embarrassed to go out in public

Whenever I go out (which is rare) I feel really paranoid and I feel everyones watching me all the time, I just hate being in public because I worry what people think of me. It gets so bad I have to walk behind my friend/mum/sister or whoever as a shadow. I've been like this since I was a little kid and I still don't know how to get more confident. I just hate being like this so much :frown: advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I used to be like this, pm me if you wanna talk :smile:
Reply 2
Well, when you do go out, do you stare at a particular person? No, you don't, so they aren't doing the same to you.
Unless you walk around with that thing Princess Beatrice had on her head yesterday, while walking a parrot on a lead, you will not have people staring at you.
Don't worry, it is fine, no-one pays particuclat attention to anyone, just walk with confidence! :smile:
Reply 3
Why do you think people would be looking at you? This is strange really. Try getting some professional help or ask family/friends first.
Reply 4
Perhaps try wearing earphones and listening to music when going out to filter out a proportion of the incoming stimuli from the surroundings.
Reply 5
Somehow become arrogant and it will go away.
go out drunk then you won't care (only do this if you are a non-violent drunk otherwise this will only cause more problems)
Reply 7
when I've watched you walking, I've noticed you do seem to get looked at a lot.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Whenever I go out (which is rare) I feel really paranoid and I feel everyones watching me all the time, I just hate being in public because I worry what people think of me. It gets so bad I have to walk behind my friend/mum/sister or whoever as a shadow. I've been like this since I was a little kid and I still don't know how to get more confident. I just hate being like this so much :frown: advice?

I used to be like this too, was absolutely horrible. Gradually over time I've made myself not give a **** what other people think.
Not a single member of the public cares about you or what you are doing. It is incredibly arrogant to think that everyone is judging you when they have their own **** to deal with. Grow some humility and the problem will solve itself
Reply 10
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you
Reply 11
Social anxiety/agoraphobia, go to GP, get help.
I get like this as well. It's worse since I started driving as well because I used to walk everywhere and now I don't, I'm not used to it!

It doesn't matter who's looking either, I hate it when kids stare!
Why do you feel this? Do you have acne/scars or anything else that makes you feel self-conscious?
Wow, this thread is filled with crazy people.

Advice - go see a GP.
Reply 15
Original post by teshla^^
Why do you feel this? Do you have acne/scars or anything else that makes you feel self-conscious?

sounds stupid but I feel so ugly and unconfident compared to all the pretty girls walking about!
Original post by History-Student
Not a single member of the public cares about you or what you are doing. It is incredibly arrogant to think that everyone is judging you when they have their own **** to deal with. Grow some humility and the problem will solve itself

The OP sounds like he/she has social anxiety and so you can't blame him for his irrational thoughts.

OP nothing we can say will be of much help, google social anxiety it sounds like you may suffer from some form of it, and seek help :smile:
Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
sounds stupid but I feel so ugly and unconfident compared to all the pretty girls walking about!

Ah ok. Low self-esteem. There are loads of things you can do to overcome this (google).

Again though, why do you feel ugly...has anyone ever said something to you....
Reply 18
You have to desensitize yourself to being in public. Go out alone until it stops being such a big issue and until it becomes a normal daily thing you do that bears no significance to anything.
Reply 19
Get counselling, seriously. A family friend couldnt go anything by himself and now works in a very prestigious recruiting agency. You need professional help, talk to your parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending