The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jwza
I meant software wise for example i have an ipod touch 1st gen that is stuck on an old firmware and so i dont have the latest features

With hardware i want at least relatively up to date as long as its not too far behind which is why im wondering if the 1 processor and less RAM would make enough of a difference to ignore the fact that the phones may be abit too big and to get the sensation or s2.
Hope im explaining it well...

I think most single core CPU phones have a seperate GPU whereas the dual core ones have integrated GPUs so they're not a LOT better?

I'm not sure but I think so
Original post by IGetGully
I think most single core CPU phones have a seperate GPU whereas the dual core ones have integrated GPUs so they're not a LOT better?

I'm not sure but I think so

The S2 has a quad core GPU... Even if it is integrated, it should be a lot more powerful than single core CPU phones. Many of them have integrated GPUs too.
Original post by jwza
I meant software wise for example i have an ipod touch 1st gen that is stuck on an old firmware and so i dont have the latest features

With hardware i want at least relatively up to date as long as its not too far behind which is why im wondering if the 1 processor and less RAM would make enough of a difference to ignore the fact that the phones may be abit too big and to get the sensation or s2.
Hope im explaining it well...

It looks like the S2 is a big step forward in terms of raw processing power. I think you should go for a dual-core phone, just in case. From the reviews I've read on the S2, a lot of the processing power isn't used, so I think it'll last for a long time in terms of running new software.
Reply 4863
I've bought the SGSII :colondollar:

£399 from O2 on PAYG, bit of a no brainer for me...I'm such a sucker for Samsung phones.
Reply 4864
Original post by bigmo7
I've bought the SGSII :colondollar:

£399 from O2 on PAYG, bit of a no brainer for me...I'm such a sucker for Samsung phones.

I'm stuck between that and this contract deal

Contract is 12 months so you can sell the phone after the 12 months for probably £250 minimum and possibly get a free upgrade for a better phone (or use some of that £250) when you renew your contract.

What to do? :confused: (firstworldproblem)
Reply 4865
Here Please People Like this Page On Facebook!!! =)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Android-is-better-than-iOS/206969802668069

Thanks
Reply 4866
Original post by RedGuy
I'm stuck between that and this contract deal

Contract is 12 months so you can sell the phone after the 12 months for probably £250 minimum and possibly get a free upgrade for a better phone (or use some of that £250) when you renew your contract.

What to do? :confused: (firstworldproblem)

I went for this one in the end. I'm not using the contract at all but if Quidco/TCB pay out then I'm sorted! :biggrin:
Original post by hxecute

Original post by hxecute
It looks like the S2 is a big step forward in terms of raw processing power. I think you should go for a dual-core phone, just in case. From the reviews I've read on the S2, a lot of the processing power isn't used, so I think it'll last for a long time in terms of running new software.

Absolutely; I have a Nexus 1 right now (1ghz, 512mb RAM) and I love the phone, allows me to do everything that I need it to do. The only limitations that I have with using this is the slightly smaller screen (3.7 inches) and the RAM when playing games or trying to watch embedded flash videos.

There are always going to be more powerful phones and devices coming out in the future, however what people don't think about is what matters to YOU. I'm planning on getting the GS2 because it has a very large screen, great processing power, and will be able to do everything I want it to do without me waiting for the phone to load things up.

Video codecs aren't going to get that much more complex, so any phone that can play 1080p is set for many years to come; granted there might be higher resolutions or things of that nature later, but how much can you cram onto a small screen under 5 inches?

But yea to close this up, I agree with what you're saying, and this is why I ended up taking the Atrix back a week after I got it. The phone, on a technical level, is great, however I just didn't need the power at that time. When this thing comes to the states I'll be all over it though.
Samsung Galaxy S vs HTC Desire S vs HTC 7?

Help? I know nothing about smartphones, have never had one before.
Reply 4869
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];31169637']Samsung Galaxy S vs HTC Desire S vs HTC 7?

Help? I know nothing about smartphones, have never had one before.

First decide if you want Android or WP7. Bear in mind the Galaxy S is nearly a year older than the Desire S and looking at the specs I'd probably opt for the Galaxy S even now. I've never used WP7 so I can't comment on that.
Just ordered a Galaxy S. My only real experience of smartphone interface is owning an ipod touch haha. Will I be pleasantly surprised? Any hints/tips?
Ive been waiting for the galaxy s 2 for ages, still got a htc hero. From reading reviews id think ill go for the samsung galaxy s 2 rather than waiting for the iphone 5, its a very powerful phone and the iphone is expensive, theres also rumours the iphone 5 will look exactly the same but be a bit faster, bid like what they did with the ipad 2.

there are ok deals about but think phones4u have the best offer available with the internet, see here: http://www.comparemobiledeals.com/mobile-phones/Samsung/Galaxy-S2?&tab=Pay-Monthly&page=1&sortby=Monthly-Cost&internet=yes where you can compare what the retailers are offering. I think tmobile is the best deal and tmobile uses orange network so has good coverage.

apparently they are in stock as well but it wont be delivered until after the bank holiday.
Original post by noodles!
Just ordered a Galaxy S. My only real experience of smartphone interface is owning an ipod touch haha. Will I be pleasantly surprised? Any hints/tips?

Did you deliberately get a Galaxy S (for value for money reasons) or were you not aware that it's now an obsolete handset now that the Galaxy S II is out?
Original post by tinkertom
Ive been waiting for the galaxy s 2 for ages, still got a htc hero. From reading reviews id think ill go for the samsung galaxy s 2 rather than waiting for the iphone 5, its a very powerful phone and the iphone is expensive, theres also rumours the iphone 5 will look exactly the same but be a bit faster, bid like what they did with the ipad 2.

there are ok deals about but think phones4u have the best offer available with the internet, see here: http://www.comparemobiledeals.com/mobile-phones/Samsung/Galaxy-S2?&tab=Pay-Monthly&page=1&sortby=Monthly-Cost&internet=yes where you can compare what the retailers are offering. I think tmobile is the best deal and tmobile uses orange network so has good coverage.

apparently they are in stock as well but it wont be delivered until after the bank holiday.

My money's on the iPhone 5 actually being an iPhone 4 S, tbh. Good call on getting the SGS II, IMO.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Did you deliberately get a Galaxy S (for value for money reasons) or were you not aware that it's now an obsolete handset now that the Galaxy S II is out?

Can't afford a fat lot more than that and it's better than the samsung genio txt I'm sporting at the moment :cool:
Can't afford a fat lot more than that and it's better than the samsung genio txt I'm sporting at the moment :cool:

No, that's fair enough. I just wanted to check that some shady salesperson hasn't sold you a SGS at almost full whack. :smile:
No, that's fair enough. I just wanted to check that some shady salesperson hasn't sold you a SGS at almost full whack. :smile:

Thanks :smile: Yeah I can imagine there are many of those around!
So what's the verdict? Is it as good as the reviews I've seen say it is?
Thanks :smile: Yeah I can imagine there are many of those around!
So what's the verdict? Is it as good as the reviews I've seen say it is?

Yes. It's a very competent smartphone.
My money's on the iPhone 5 actually being an iPhone 4 S, tbh. Good call on getting the SGS II, IMO.

It was a choice between the samsung galaxy s or the new htc coming out (i forget the name). Hope it turns up on tuesday, heard good things bout it and the reviews are good.:smile:
Original post by tinkertom
It was a choice between the samsung galaxy s or the new htc coming out (i forget the name). Hope it turns up on tuesday, heard good things bout it and the reviews are good.:smile:

HTC Sensation. I'll be honest, I prefer the SGS II as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending