The Student Room Group

Post your stereotypical views of students..

Scroll to see replies

Economics students - come in 2 categories, male and female.

The female economics students are by and large normal people.

Male economics students are a different kettle of fish. The positive side to them is that they are nearly always highly driven and motivated to work hard. You will get a few coasters on the course but most of them have a career goal in mind and they put the hours of study in to get there, as a result you get a lot of economics students who achieve good degrees. The downside to them is that humility is not a big part of their characters. They are often all about talking themselves up, and also talking other people down. This especially happens in terms of inter-university competitiveness, if you see the talk on TSR between Economics students it is nearly always about trying to claim that their university is world leading and that whoever they are talking to is doing a "sub par" curriculum. You also get maths snobs in Economics, ie people who have done a hard (to them) maths module in their economics degree, and want to tell everybody and anybody that they are a quantitative genius, when any Maths or Physics student would just see that level of maths as fairly basic....
Reply 61
Original post by Sylete
Music students?

Very, very, very indie. I view them as slackers. Generally must hold a very skewed perception of life as a vast majority of them do not enter the musical scene at all. I guess they're a bit arrogant and ignorant:tongue:
Reply 62
Original post by nunugab
My uni doesn't have a medical school but my general stereotype of medics is that they're similar in nature to aspiring IB'ers. They're quite sneaky and manipulative as they're able to endure anything in order to enhance their CV and gain admission to medical school. Once they've been admitted they can come across as a bit pretentious and arrogant yet I believe that this attitude is somewhat justified. Essentially a great majority of medics are all after prestige, status and money. On the other hand some genuinely want to help people and are quite compassionate. They also tend to be left-wing and humanitarians.

IMO law students can be divided into 3 stereotypes;
1. The middle-class student who was pressurized into Law. Generally is quite snobby and upscale and thrives of the 'prestige' a Law student has. The only thing motivating him is money and prestige. Tends to party alot and also tends to feel the need to inform anyone within a 10m radius that they're studying law (especially if they're at prestigious university...Bristol Law Students I'm so obviously looking at you :biggrin:). Dresses rather upscale & tends to splurge openly.

2. Students who are generally interested in Law and aspire to help people, perhaps work with people who are undergoing immigration issues etc. These are quite compassionate and have a general indie vibe attached to them. They often engage in humanitarian discussions and are generally left-wing.

3. International students who try way too hard to look posh.

Spot on sir!
Reply 63
Original post by nunugab
Very, very, very indie. I view them as slackers. Generally must hold a very skewed perception of life as a vast majority of them do not enter the musical scene at all. I guess they're a bit arrogant and ignorant:tongue:

Despite being one myself, the arrogance annoys me the most, cant say i disagree with you much :smile:
Original post by NapoleonDynamite
Social, in with the "Cool crowd" always have to be the most popular of the group. Over-sensitive, sometimes arrogant. Wear yellow and purple cardigans and vests.

Sounds a lot like my department...:tongue:
dentists know how to have the most fun
Reply 66
Science students (as a former chemistry student)- We're overworked (though not as bad as medics), but try to make the best of it, we tend to be quite shy until you get to know us, but we're not anti-social. Generally we dress very casually (T-Shirt and Jeans tends to be the look). We tend to go out fairly frequently in the first year, but tend to calm down a lot in the upper years (as we never had time to go out).

Also, we dislike it when people moan about how much time students have off (we were always in five days a week) and how we apparently spend three years slacking (in my case, I worked from 9-7 more-or-less everyday).
students who stereotype ofther students on what subjects they take - prejudice much?
Sport Science anyone?
Reply 69
Original post by Scrappy-coco
students who stereotype ofther students on what subjects they take - prejudice much?

Thats the point. Express your prejudices. It might be fun to see what stereotypical views people have of students studying certain subjects. Stop being a douche and read the 1st post.
Original post by nunugab

1. The middle-class student who was pressurized into Law. Generally is quite snobby and upscale and thrives of the 'prestige' a Law student has. The only thing motivating him is money and prestige. Tends to party alot and also tends to feel the need to inform anyone within a 10m radius that they're studying law (especially if they're at prestigious university...Bristol Law Students I'm so obviously looking at you :biggrin:). Dresses rather upscale & tends to splurge openly.

2. Students who are generally interested in Law and aspire to help people, perhaps work with people who are undergoing immigration issues etc. These are quite compassionate and have a general indie vibe attached to them. They often engage in humanitarian discussions and are generally left-wing.

Hahaa, I'm going to Bristol to do a law masters next year. I find all these stereotypes hilarious. Which isn't to say they're unfounded; no smoke without fire. I just find the infamy of Bristol students in general, and the law students in particular, pretty entertaining.
Original post by nunugab
Thats the point. Express your prejudices. It might be fun to see what stereotypical views people have of students studying certain subjects. Stop being a douche and read the 1st post.

eat my shorts
Students in general: Stuck wasting precious revision time on a certain website.
Reply 73
Drunk, skint, procrastinator.
Reply 74
Original post by Scrappy-coco
eat my shorts

Who likes short shorts? You like short shorts.
We like short shorts!
Medics; work hard, play hard.
Students in general = Left wing
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Well having been out with a girl who was studying English Lit I became familiar with her coursemates either through meeting them or hearing her going on about them. The conclusion I came to about English Lit students was...

- Nearly always female. The occasional males in the group are mainly shy types who are patronised and friend-zoned by the females. On the odd occasion where there is a good looking male literature student, he is treated as the most eligible bachelor in literary history and the girls will be fiercely competitive for his attention
- Often bitchy and super competitive. Their seminars are widely discussed and dissected afterwards (ie yeah, "and SHE said this, and you could LITERALLY hear a pin drop...I mean she had SO missed the point of the character...I just think she should keep her mouth shut, you know...")
- Generally from the higher social classes. Not a hard and fast rule (my ex was from a terraced house in Halifax) but in general there is a higher cluster of rich girls doing English Lit.
- Generally quirky fashion sense. You don't tend to find the Barbie doll types caked in make up. They are a little more Bohemian in their dress styles.

I have to say, bitchiness is a thing in a lot of my lit classes... lol. A lot of people are subtly competitive, and looking for ways to undermine others. Not in every case, but I've witnessed it myself as well.
Original post by nunugab
My uni doesn't have a medical school but my general stereotype of medics is that they're similar in nature to aspiring IB'ers. They're quite sneaky and manipulative as they're able to endure anything in order to enhance their CV and gain admission to medical school. Once they've been admitted they can come across as a bit pretentious and arrogant yet I believe that this attitude is somewhat justified. Essentially a great majority of medics are all after prestige, status and money. On the other hand some genuinely want to help people and are quite compassionate. They also tend to be left-wing and humanitarians.

True true true

I would say I am the first one with notable exceptions. People ask "what do you study"? I reply with law. I don't boast. I am not snobby. I have been told that I splurge- nandos is splurging. :confused: I been told I dress upscale- superdry, hollister by people wearing JW. Honestly?:s-smilie: I hate law. My feelings about studying law are apparent on here.

I hate number 2 people- they do exist.

3.Yep. They exist as well. They are snobbier and posher.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending