The Student Room Group

Parental income has dropped massively, I am entitled to anything?

So, basically, I'm a bit clueless about all this as previously we didn't even bother submitting my parents' earnings because we knew I wouldn't qualify for the maintenance grant. Long story short, however, my dad's income (which is our main source) has dropped massively in the last three years (he owns his own business), to the point where I'd be entitled to full grant where I wasn't entitled to anything before. But when I looked at the forms online, it seems to go on tax years that are a couple of years back, which obviously make us look like we have more money than we actually do. Is there any way of getting grant based on 'real' income - ie current? Or am I just not entitled to anything?
Tricky one, the only thing I can suggest is to call them up and tell them about your situation, they should be able to advise you
Original post by jeh_jeh
So, basically, I'm a bit clueless about all this as previously we didn't even bother submitting my parents' earnings because we knew I wouldn't qualify for the maintenance grant. Long story short, however, my dad's income (which is our main source) has dropped massively in the last three years (he owns his own business), to the point where I'd be entitled to full grant where I wasn't entitled to anything before. But when I looked at the forms online, it seems to go on tax years that are a couple of years back, which obviously make us look like we have more money than we actually do. Is there any way of getting grant based on 'real' income - ie current? Or am I just not entitled to anything?

This is what you do.
You apply for an income assessed laon and provide evidence for 2009-10 as requested.
You wait to be assessed then you download the current year assessment form.
Your folks fill it in with estimates for income for 2011-12 and send it off.
You get reassessed and your folks need to provide evidence at financial year end 2011-12.
Reply 3
Current-tax year income assessment form is on the site.
Reply 4
Original post by hypocriticaljap
This is what you do.
You apply for an income assessed laon and provide evidence for 2009-10 as requested.
You get reassessed and your folks need to provide evidence at financial year end 2011-12.

SSingh23
x

Yup, found it, thanks - this looks more promising. :smile:
you still have to apply with 2009-10 info first though, or at least that's what I had to do.
Reply 6
you still have to apply with 2009-10 info first though, or at least that's what I had to do.

Ah, thanks, will do!
This is what you do.

I filled in a current year icome assesment form as my mum's income's been given a heavy cut in the past 6 months. At the moment she's being paid £150 a week at the most. We estimated her income for 2011-12 based on this and taking into account that she is looking to get some more work asap. If her income goes up drastically in about 4/5 mnths time do I just fill in another CYIA form or do I fill out a change of circumstances form? Also if her pay does go up half way through the yr - will student finance want me to pay back anything extra I was entitled to before immediatley?

I'm just a bit nervous about this because it's all done on estimates and I don't want something to go wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
if her pay goes up you will have to repay at the end of the year when they ask for proof of income for the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending