The Student Room Group

why don't you republicans go and move to america?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jono404
If the Windsors are so good then how have other countries managed without them?

Well obviously a royal family isn't essential to run a country, but it's less boring than having a suit as the head of state.

It's part of the British tradition for me. God save the Queen.
Original post by ilickbatteries
Well obviously a royal family isn't essential to run a country, but it's less boring than having a suit as the head of state.

It's part of the British tradition for me. God save the Queen.

Tyranny is fun isn't it... :rolleyes:
Original post by otester
Tyranny is fun isn't it... :rolleyes:

Yeah, the royal family are real tyrants aren't they.

I guess the million people who lined the streets of London, and the 24m people who watched the royal wedding were forced to do it...

Like it or not, a huge amount of people are supporters of the royal family.
They dont have the money... :teehee:
Reply 124
Seeing the royal wedding (I tried to avoid it but ended up seeing bits of it on the news) did actually make me want to leave, and I'll have to go through this again next year with the jubilee. I just find it so archaic and embarrassing.
Original post by Jono404
Seeing the royal wedding (I tried to avoid it but ended up seeing bits of it on the news) did actually make me want to leave, and I'll have to go through this again next year with the jubilee. I just find it so archaic and embarrassing.

Democracy is older than our royal family.

Do you find democracy archaic and embarrassing?
Not all republicans spent the day being a whiny bitch. I spent it listening to the wedding on the radio, eating biscuits and learning Japanese. I don't think I made any mention of my republicanism all day. It was a day for monarchists and for people who enjoy pomp so; let them have it I say.
Reply 127
Democracy is older than our royal family.

Do you find democracy archaic and embarrassing?

I think you've missed the point, it makes us look outdated in comparison to the majority of Europe and the US. Also democracy is older than our royal family, but not the concepts of monarchies and despotism.
Yeah, the royal family are real tyrants aren't they.

I guess the million people who lined the streets of London, and the 24m people who watched the royal wedding were forced to do it...

Like it or not, a huge amount of people are supporters of the royal family.

Clearly this country has a large supply of stupid people, hence the country going down the drain... and if they weren't watching it they'd be watching some other pointless program.

Regarding tyranny...most of it is under the table but here's some that came to light recently...

Dissolving commonwealth parliaments when they don't do as she wishes... threatening to block ABC (Australia) from getting wedding coverage from British broadcasters (via licenses) if they allowed comedic commentary...

Not to mention they're unelected... you must be a fan of the EU as well...

The whole system needs an overhaul.
Original post by Jono404
I think you've missed the point, it makes us look outdated in comparison to the majority of Europe and the US. Also democracy is older than our royal family, but not the concepts of monarchies and despotism.

Do you have any idea how much the US love the royal family? Their media has been plastered with it for days man. The yanks would love something as grand as our royal family. They were interviewing them on BBC and they were saying how wonderful the wedding is and how well we do the big occasions etc.

The Scandinavian countries, some of the most developed countries in europe, have monarchies. Norway, Denmark, Sweden, hardly the laughing stock of Europe, they have monarchies. The Dutch, the Spanish, they have monarchies too.

It's a sense of identity. When people think of Britain, they think castles, the queen, prince william, the palace etc. Its a grand history.

Original post by otester
Clearly this country has a large supply of stupid people, hence the country going down the drain... and if they weren't watching it they'd be watching some other pointless program.

Regarding tyranny...most of it is under the table but here's some that came to light recently...

Dissolving commonwealth parliaments when they don't do as she wishes... threatening to block ABC (Australia) from getting wedding coverage from British broadcasters (via licenses) if they allowed comedic commentary...

Not to mention they're unelected... you must be a fan of the EU as well...

The whole system needs an overhaul.

Clearly...:rolleyes:
Reply 130
Do you have any idea how much the US love the royal family? Their media has been plastered with it for days man. The yanks would love something as grand as our royal family. They were interviewing them on BBC and they were saying how wonderful the wedding is and how well we do the big occasions etc.

They like it because it's a novelty and they aren't accustomed to it, there is no way in hell the American public would vote for a monarchy, it completely goes against everything their founding fathers and their constitution stands for.
Original post by Jono404
They like it because it's a novelty and they aren't accustomed to it, there is no way in hell the American public would vote for a monarchy, it completely goes against everything their founding fathers and their constitution stands for.

They still love it though, and it hardly makes us look outdated.

Like I said, I'm a royalist, you're not. I'm not going to budge from my position, because I'm patriotic, I love Britain and I love the royal family.

Clearly you have a different outlook. That's cool with me, but I don't agree with you one bit.
Reply 132

Like I said, I'm a royalist, you're not. I'm not going to budge from my position, because I'm patriotic, I love Britain and I love the royal family.

Clearly you have a different outlook. That's cool with me, but I don't agree with you one bit.

Cool :smile:

I'm patriotic too, I just feel our political system is a mess.

The corporate media is not inline with the people, they promote the tyrant Obama and Queen alike.

Only 6 percent of Americans really care about the royal wedding
Original post by otester
The corporate media is not inline with the people, they promote the tyrant Obama and Queen alike.

Only 6 percent of Americans really care about the royal wedding

Tyrant Obama and the Queen? Wtf are you talking about ha.

Ooh, a newspaper poll. Must be correct...6% is still 21m, either way. With a further 22% declaring an interest, that's 28% and nearly 100m Americans.
because I'm patriotic, I love Britain and I love the royal family.

The implication being that anyone who doesn't like the royal family is unpatriotic. I'm patriotic and do not believe that we should be selecting our head of state based on who people's father happens to be. Liking the royal family makes you a royalist, it doesn't necessarily make you patriotic.
Tyrant Obama and the Queen? Wtf are you talking about ha.

Ooh, a newspaper poll. Must be correct...6% is still 21m, either way. With a further 22% declaring an interest, that's 28% and nearly 100m Americans.

22% are just nosey.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jacketpotato
The implication being that anyone who doesn't like the royal family is unpatriotic. I'm patriotic and do not believe that we should be selecting our head of state based on who people's father happens to be. Liking the royal family makes you a royalist, it doesn't necessarily make you patriotic.

You realise that the head of state role the reigning monarch fulfills is so vastly ceremonial it's not even worth mentioning?

Cameron is effectively the head of state. He's the accountable head of the government, the prime minister, the first lord of the treasury, whatever you want to call him.

He may not have the title 'head of state', but he is the closest thing we have to an active head of state.

Even the Guardian, noted for their anti-royal stance, recognise that the monarchy is "mostly symbolic".
Original post by otester
22% are nosey.

:rolleyes:

Britain will never be a republic in our lifetime. End of.
:rolleyes:

Britain will never be a republic in our lifetime. End of.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try and improve our form of government.

Quick Reply

Latest