The Student Room Group

POLL: Have you ever played "Traffic light GP"?

Poll

Have you ever played the traffic light GP?

Ok, you know what i mean. You're sat a light minding your own business when you look to your side at the other driver and they rev their engine. The norm is to reply by revving yours and then the race is on.... :cool:

I was stopped at some lights near my house in a 70 zone.(Yea, it's weird...) I hear some bass to my left. Look over and there's a chavvy car rolling up. When i look over to see what is spewing out the crappy noise(Apprently it's called music) the guy grabs some eye contact and as he does that revs his ****ty peugeot crapbox with loud exhaust... I blipped the throttle a little bit for lulz but with the stock can my bike sounds like a kitten...

I think "**** it", lights go and i nailed it at about 3k revs and dropped the clutch and red lined it in first and then was at 9000 or so in 2nd when i realised i was breaking the speed limit an ickle bit...The guy was nowhere to be seen at all off the line obviously and as i slammed it into second he was a mile back.. I backed off near the speed limit and he then caught up/passed me about 5 seconds later... No point going at license losing speeds though. I showed him who was boss at the lights...

Share your stories/opinions on the matter...
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You are the reason that males have to pay more for car insurance than females.
(edited 12 years ago)
Going to be honest, all I really understood was that a young man playing music pulled up alongside you at some traffic lights.

Can't say I ever have myself... :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by loonyplatypus

Motorbike. But don't worry it's not like i said bike in the story of my Avatar/sig/usertitle give away anything to hint that it might possibly be a motorbike...
You just felt like getting in "the popular comment" at the beginning of the thread to harvest a few worthless pos reps...

And i paid £150 TPFT last year(When i was 18 yrs old)...

Original post by LiamTheKook
Going to be honest, all I really understood was that a young man playing music pulled up alongside you at some traffic lights.

Ok, i'll do the TL;dr...

Me sat at lights on motorbike

Chav appears next to me

Chav tries to race me and fails

I laugh

Better?
(edited 12 years ago)
OP I share your thirst for competition :P

In my encounters theres usually no revving. Just eye contact, look at lights, eye contact, look at lights, eye contact.. gas, clutch in and bang away :tongue:

You'd be surprised at how even the most ordinary looking middle aged woman will absolutely nail it in her (most likely husbands) bmw :P
Reply 6
I tried it but the they just ran me over and bent my bike frame then sped off beeping their horn and shouting 'haha you ****er'. It's not fair because I had to walk 16 miles back home and I spent a lot on money on that bike and I need it to cycle everywhere but I'm most upset because I looked really cool cycling on it as the colours matched my helmet and it went well with my glasses. People are so cruel :frown:

Car insurance? On a bike? LOL :biggrin:

But I think almost everyone's had a bit of a drag race in there time on the road... Especially us bikers!

Fair play to you reigning it in at 70 though, most people get too into it to care at that point.
Although I have to admit I usually stop at 70, It can be quite irritating when said chavs "fly" past you at the immense top speed of 90mph thinking "I AZ WON BO, I MUS BE A WELLARD" eugh.
I drive a diesel Nissan Micra. So no.

:tongue:
Reply 9
Undefeated so far. 5.5K revs, bite point, green light, BOOM!
Having a sleeper usually helps in those situations.
This story seems pointless.

I suggest you include a disclaimer warning everybody that they may never get back the time they waste reading it.

Good day.
Reply 12
Original post by Student2806
I drive a diesel Nissan Micra. So no.

:tongue:

No worries. I went through "a phase" of having to drive a 1.0 corsa where the power to weight ratio was worse than my bicycle so i did 0 traffic lgiht GPs in that thing...

Original post by LandyJon
Undefeated so far. 5.5K revs, bite point, green light, BOOM!

Tbh i reckon i could have had you in Plymouth that time but i didn't know where i was going so can't try and overtake you whilst having to follow you...:wink:

Even still, it was a nice start and 5.5k revs?:eek: That's a bit high surely...:confused:
Reply 13

Not only were you wrong about it being car insurance, that's not even the case anymore. Thanks to the EU, he's now simply the reason all young people have to pay more for their car/motorbike insurance :tongue:

OP, I feel like you'd probably have gotten on well with my dad when he was younger.. you know the speed traps the police do when they lie in wait partly obscured for speeders? He went past one at a good 90mph. His response? Well, ****, I'm done for if they catch me. However, they are in cars, I am on a motorbike: I'll speed up even further. Ended up going over 100mph and outrunning them.
Original post by laut_biru
Not only were you wrong about it being car insurance, that's not even the case anymore. Thanks to the EU, he's now simply the reason all young people have to pay more for their car/motorbike insurance :tongue:

Uh, forgive me if I'm wrong. But our lovely politicians decided that bringing in that EU stuff for our insurance would just bump everyone's prices up so they didn't bring it in...

Edit: I also don't see how It's going to put insurance up... If your belting it down the road yes (OP said he was doing 70), but accelerating quickly hardly cause a surge in insurance prices...
(edited 12 years ago)
I have to confess to doing this occasionally... only late at night when the roads are quiet though! And I won't go over the speed limit.

The best bit is that the driver in the other car never expects it... they look over in their 'boy-racer' modded car with a massive exhaust (yeah, I'm generalising but that's what most of them are like), see little old me in my Astra and figure I'm a girl and am therefore no competition. Next thing they know, the light's gone green and I'm miles ahead of them :colone:
Reply 16
Original post by The Bagel Guy
Uh, forgive me if I'm wrong. But our lovely politicians decided that bringing in that EU stuff for our insurance would just bump everyone's prices up so they didn't bring it in...

I have to say, I hope you're not wrong.
Original post by laut_biru
I have to say, I hope you're not wrong.

The bagel guys knows everything! :ninja:

But seriously... Just google it...
Original post by MHorman
No worries. I went through "a phase" of having to drive a 1.0 corsa where the power to weight ratio was worse than my bicycle so i did 0 traffic lgiht GPs in that thing...

Tbh i reckon i could have had you in Plymouth that time but i didn't know where i was going so can't try and overtake you whilst having to follow you...:wink:

Even still, it was a nice start and 5.5k revs?:eek: That's a bit high surely...:confused:

launch at ~ peak torque
Reply 19
I don't drive :cry2:

Quick Reply