The Student Room Group

Want red hair but have a question...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T-go
Haha, good luck! :biggrin:

Original post by The Procrastinator

Original post by The Procrastinator
Conflicting messege arghh!! :biggrin: Now I don't know what to do. I would prefer to do it without bleach but the red is so bright I'm sure it would be a distaster to do on my own. Don't suppose you have pics of what it was like the first time you did it?

excuse the pose and nerd glasses though. i was taking the piss out of first years :smile:

edit: oh wow that came out big ahahha
Reply 22
Original post by Jar of Hearts

That's what she said.
Reply 23
You should bleach it first, but be careful, because your roots will end up much lighter than the dyed parts if you do this... So I suggest either putting bleach on the dyed parts for longer, or just dying the red over what you currently have. The red won't be as bright if you do this, but it'll probably have a more even effect than bleaching first, as I did this and my roots ended up much brighter than the rest...

In my experience as well, hairdressers often don't know what to do with hair like this themselves - I've had worse dye jobs from them than I've done myself before... So if you're going to splash your cash on one, make sure they know exactly what you want and that they know what they're doing.
Reply 24
My friend went through hell to get a colour like that. She had dark brown hair, and she dyed it red, but it was more of a red tinge. The same thing happened to another one of my friends. The only person I know that's successfully managed to get her hair that way was by bleaching it and getting the hairdresser to do it.

BUT, I have also had a friend who bleached her hair and dyed it red and it came out very ginger instead, and she did this at home. So I say that the best bet is to go to a hairdressers and see what they say.
My hair is naturally mid-brown and I use XXL Red Passion, so every time I re-dye I have mainly red hair with brown roots, which is kind of a less extreme version of your situation I guess.

Anyway, I just cover the root area with slightly less, and do it at the end, once I've covered the rest of the hair.

Turns out fine:

Spoiler

:redface:

excuse the pose and nerd glasses though. i was taking the piss out of first years :smile:

That's how I picture my hair coming out as. Think I need to get a pro to do it haha I'm not bleaching it myself!! :biggrin:
Original post by iamnotasealion
My hair is naturally mid-brown and I use XXL Red Passion, so every time I re-dye I have mainly red hair with brown roots, which is kind of a less extreme version of your situation I guess.

Anyway, I just cover the root area with slightly less, and do it at the end, once I've covered the rest of the hair.

Turns out fine:

Spoiler

:redface:

Aaaah that looks good! My roots are weird. It's like mouse with a golden shine. It not one or the other haha! Feck it I'm just going to do it and if it goes wrong I will slap some brown on there. I might have to get two boxes my hair's really long! :biggrin:
Reply 28

Your hair suits your eyes.
Original post by Dumpynose

Original post by Dumpynose
Your hair suits your eyes.

Satans my grandad.
Reply 30
Satans my grandad.

Says an unnatural red head. He's my Grandfather. Paws off.
Original post by owliver

Original post by owliver
Says an unnatural red head. He's my Grandfather. Paws off.

Pfff, my granddad. I have his eyes. And when we're angry we have an uncanny resemblence. What do you have!
Reply 32
Pfff, my granddad. I have his eyes. And when we're angry we have an uncanny resemblence. What do you have!

Beautiful auburn locks!
Okay, I'm less satanic, more pre-raphaelite... You can be satan.
it may be worth going to a salon to have the colour you already have, stripped out of your hair. then you could dye over it, and it would come out evenly. i can't see any other way of doing it really haha.

i dye my hair quite bright red, some of it's gone slightly ginger where i've spent a lot of time in the sun the past few weeks XD so mine is not going to come out so even next time haha. i kinda like it though, looks like highlights :P

when my roots come through though, i just dye the whole lot as normal, you can't really tell the difference all that much to be honest, i'm just dying over the top, so it depends how drastically different the colour of your roots is to the rest of your hair. also might not be such a great idea putting red dye over a different colour dye :s-smilie: might not go the desired colour! haha.

love the colour you've chosen though it looks amazing in that picture! :biggrin: good luck x

PS. i have mousey-brown hair too, and don't bleach it. i use schwarzkopf live XXL real red. and colour care shampoo and conditioner.

here's some pics, if you're interested:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by owliver

Original post by owliver
Beautiful auburn locks!
Okay, I'm less satanic, more pre-raphaelite... You can be satan.

My uncle says his hair is auburn. It's ginger :wink:
I kid i kid. and thanks, always wanted to be like granpapa.

Nice hair... and stuff. :smug:
Reply 36
Good luck! :s-smilie:

I used to have my hair dyed red and have been dying it back to a more natural colour. No matter what I do, the red always peeks back through after a few weeks :frown:
Reply 37
My uncle says his hair is auburn. It's ginger :wink:
I kid i kid. and thanks, always wanted to be like granpapa.

Srsly. I'm auburn! :biggrin: or in South Park terms, a Daywalker...

It's beautiful! as is yours :biggrin: cus dyed red hair = fit as (:
And who doesn't want to be like grandpa (yours or mine, they both sound cool)
Original post by Kaykiie

Original post by Kaykiie
Good luck! :s-smilie:

I used to have my hair dyed red and have been dying it back to a more natural colour. No matter what I do, the red always peeks back through after a few weeks :frown:

I know right! I try make it brown and first couple weeks its ok, but then it starts to look really ginger in the sun! So i've given up. Been red for over 2 years now.
Reply 39
Quick heads up- red is a bloody terrible colour when it comes to fading. Honestly. To keep it looking that colour you're gonna need to be redying it every 2-3 weeks, else it'll just fade and look horrible.
I had red hair for a year (before it was trendy) and I know from experience. Bloody expensive colour it is! :tongue:

Quick Reply