The Student Room Group

DSA needs assessment on Monday

Scroll to see replies

Original post by diamonddust
Thanks guys. :smile:

Would it help if you bullet pointed your symptoms beforehand on a piece of paper and if you get stuck, you can hand it over and let them take it from there? :smile:
Reply 121
By the way, why not write a list of difficulties you have or think you might face while at uni and bring it with you? I have always found it useful to write a list and give it to someone if there are important things I must mention to someone. It might seem a bit odd if you do it to a friend or something, but with the needs assessment, I am sure they wouldn't mind it. Let us know how it goes.
Reply 122
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Would it help if you bullet pointed your symptoms beforehand on a piece of paper and if you get stuck, you can hand it over and let them take it from there? :smile:

Haha... didn't see you reply before I wrote mine... smart people thinkg alike. ME LIKE!!! :biggrin:
Like the others said, assessments are pretty informal and your assessor is assessing your needs and not you. They'll be lovely and do whatever they need to do to make you less freaked out - it's part of their job. Good luck!
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Original post by ExTraP
By the way, why not write a list of difficulties you have or think you might face while at uni and bring it with you? I have always found it useful to write a list and give it to someone if there are important things I must mention to someone. It might seem a bit odd if you do it to a friend or something, but with the needs assessment, I am sure they wouldn't mind it. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks you two! Funny you should say that because they emailed me a 'pre assessment form' to fill out so I filled out my symptoms and things I have issues with at the moment and things I might have issues with at uni and sent it to them.
Original post by snoogy
Like the others said, assessments are pretty informal and your assessor is assessing your needs and not you. They'll be lovely and do whatever they need to do to make you less freaked out - it's part of their job. Good luck!

Thank you! I think it's more the thought of sitting in a room and being 'assessed' that freaks me out. I'm sure it will be fine. :smile:
Yay, I just got a letter saying that I can get DSA and my evidence has been approved! Such a relief!
I've got to book my assessment later...what sort of thing can I expect? I'm nervous =S
I have a quick question...Has anybody here has an assessment at DART Lincoln?

And is there anything I need to take with me?
Original post by lozzyhickers
I have a quick question...Has anybody here has an assessment at DART Lincoln?

And is there anything I need to take with me?

Take anything you think will help you. I had my timetable and an example coursework brief to show them. It just made explaining things easier.

I just got my confirmation letter to order my stuffs *runs around in circles*
Reply 128
| felt sorry for the woman who did my assessment, she had to travel all the way to birmingham from plymouth just for a 1/2 hr appt with me (she had no other appointments, just me)!
Reply 129
heres a question for you all. on my assessment i got recommended the use of a computer in my exams. I have no idea why i would need a computer, but for every exam i get one. do you think its so i can google the answers?
Original post by snoogy
Take anything you think will help you. I had my timetable and an example coursework brief to show them. It just made explaining things easier.

I just got my confirmation letter to order my stuffs *runs around in circles*

So I don't have to bring a copy of my evidence or anything?
I think i'll bring a list of symptoms and how it might affect my learning.

Thank you!
So I don't have to bring a copy of my evidence or anything?
I think i'll bring a list of symptoms and how it might affect my learning.

Thank you!

I didn't have to for mine but some centres will request it. Gather as much as you can. A list of symptoms would definitely help as would a cv if you have one. They have a section for background information and I was getting the dates muddled. My crazy educational history didn't help. If you think it could help then take it :smile:
Original post by 25095514
heres a question for you all. on my assessment i got recommended the use of a computer in my exams. I have no idea why i would need a computer, but for every exam i get one. do you think its so i can google the answers?

I really don't think the computer will have the internet, so no.
Do you have slow writing or illegible writing or something?

My centre is making me send evidence and proof of entitlement.
Original post by snoogy
I didn't have to for mine but some centres will request it. Gather as much as you can. A list of symptoms would definitely help as would a cv if you have one. They have a section for background information and I was getting the dates muddled. My crazy educational history didn't help. If you think it could help then take it :smile:

Ok, thanks. Why would a CV help?
Ok, thanks. Why would a CV help?

They ask about background qualifications and dates and such. If you remember them without getting flustered then you're fine. It really helped me though. I forget basic things when I'm anxious.
Original post by snoogy
They ask about background qualifications and dates and such. If you remember them without getting flustered then you're fine. It really helped me though. I forget basic things when I'm anxious.

Ok thanks, I haven't got an updated one atm, but ill take my exam certificates just in case :smile:
Ok thanks, I haven't got an updated one atm, but ill take my exam certificates just in case :smile:

It's for your own use really. A list of them will be just fine :smile:
Got my appointment booked, 1st June :smile:
Got my appointment booked, 1st June :smile:

Awesome! You'll totally rock it :biggrin:

Got my confirmation from SFE yesterday, placed my order on Tuesday and I'm calling the supplier tomorrow to add a few things and then it'll be here next week :biggrin: It's finally all over!

Now if I could figure out if my book allowance was granted or not... it says I have £300 for consumables but it says nothing about books. Anyone know if it's included? I could really do with buying a few reference books at some point this week so that'd be an epic help.
Original post by snoogy
Awesome! You'll totally rock it :biggrin:

Got my confirmation from SFE yesterday, placed my order on Tuesday and I'm calling the supplier tomorrow to add a few things and then it'll be here next week :biggrin: It's finally all over!

Now if I could figure out if my book allowance was granted or not... it says I have £300 for consumables but it says nothing about books. Anyone know if it's included? I could really do with buying a few reference books at some point this week so that'd be an epic help.

Yay! That's great, I really hope it helps you :biggrin:

So when it comes to computers,dictaphones etc do we order it ourselves? Or does it depend on the centre?

Quick Reply

Latest