The Student Room Group

Can anything help reduce bruising?

Afternoon TSRers.

Does anyone know of anything that really can reduce visible bruising/ swelling? I have a black eye/ nose and am back at work on Wednesday. I wouldn't worry but working in a school it feels very unprofessional and I'd hate for students to notice. I have a few cuts across my face to go with the black eye, so it's pretty noticeable even when the bruising is covered.

I am female so I will hide as much as possible with make up. The redness seems to cover ok but the blue/ black just looks very odd... green almost. So if anything could help I'm willing to try it :rolleyes: I'm hoping that most of it will be gone by then anyway, but just in case I was wondering if there's anything I could try?

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Ice.
Not injuring your face.

Actually this sounds kind of suspicious, why is your face all bruised?
Reply 3
New boyfriend?
Reply 4
Arnica is supposed to be good for bruises.
Arnica cream and/or Hirudoid Cream (more suitable for deep bruising)
Reply 6
Ah, I think you go for the opposite colour make up. If the bruises is a blue, then go for an orange, purple go for yellow, etc. Try some strong eyeshadows to cover over the bruises and then cover with some light powder foundation.
Reply 7
Lol I had one of my teachers come into school like this... rumours spread fast...

Cover it up... somehow.
Reply 8
Original post by Philbert

This works, haven't used it but I know someone who has
took a few days though...
Reply 9
Arnica cream works :yes:.

Are you okay?
Original post by Anonymous
Afternoon TSRers.

Does anyone know of anything that really can reduce visible bruising/ swelling? I have a black eye/ nose and am back at work on Wednesday. I wouldn't worry but working in a school it feels very unprofessional and I'd hate for students to notice. I have a few cuts across my face to go with the black eye, so it's pretty noticeable even when the bruising is covered.

I am female so I will hide as much as possible with make up. The redness seems to cover ok but the blue/ black just looks very odd... green almost. So if anything could help I'm willing to try it :rolleyes: I'm hoping that most of it will be gone by then anyway, but just in case I was wondering if there's anything I could try?

Any advice?

You could try using an ice pack to reduce the swelling - I'm not sure how effective that will be on a bruise that's already developed, but it's worth a go.

A concealer with a yellow base will have the thickest consistency, thus being the most effective way to cover it up, or maybe try a bit of foundation that matches your skin tone.

I think there are professional bruise covering up kits if you're willing to go that far, though!

You probably won't be able to cover it up completely because bruises are capillary bleeding and you just have to wait for it to heal. If you don't draw attention to it, chances are people won't notice as much.
Reply 11
Afternoon TSRers.

Any advice?

Ice/frozen peas or similar reduces swelling
Arnica cream helps bruises heal faster
Generally keeping bruises above your heart gets them to disappear quicker but obv your face is above your heart anyway!
Don't take ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen or cortisone medicines as these promote bruising
spread fresh parsley leaves on it apparently!
rub it! that will heelp to dissipate the blood
2 days after getting the bruise, don't apply cold but apply warmth instead

(My mum's a school first-aider and used to be a childminder lol this is what she recommends)
(edited 12 years ago)

This. I play the trumpet and bruise my lip ALL the time. Bit of arnica does the job :smile:
Reply 13
Hirudoid Cream works really fast for bruises. That sounds pretty bad though, I hope you're ok!
Reply 14
Original post by ??????????????????
Ice.

Bit late after the initial bruising,no?

Original post by JCC-MGS
Not injuring your face.

Actually this sounds kind of suspicious, why is your face all bruised?

Met some very unpleasant girls. We won't be keeping in touch :rolleyes:

Original post by js374
New boyfriend?

I wish. At least then I'd have his name.

Original post by tigermoth99
Arnica cream and/or Hirudoid Cream (more suitable for deep bruising)

Thank you both :yy: I'll see what I can do.

Original post by kat2pult
Ah, I think you go for the opposite colour make up. If the bruises is a blue, then go for an orange, purple go for yellow, etc. Try some strong eyeshadows to cover over the bruises and then cover with some light powder foundation.

Eek that sounds awkward. Fortunately I have a huge eyeshadow tester page so plenty of colours :tongue: I'll see what it's like on wednesday. Cheers :yy:

Original post by Josh_Dey
Lol I had one of my teachers come into school like this... rumours spread fast...

Cover it up... somehow.

Yeh I think that's the most worrying part. Even the sports teacher at school had rumours go round when it was a simple rugby injury!

Original post by Moody
This works, haven't used it but I know someone who has
took a few days though...

Star. Thank you :yy:
How did you get the bruises? (just out of curiosity)
Use concealer of foundation that is more yellowy in colour which will help to disguise it
Arnica is also good apparently
Reply 16
Original post by Emmie3303
Arnica cream works :yes:.

Are you okay?

I'm fabulous :wink: Thanks, lots seem to be suggesting this so definitely worth trying.

Original post by Rascacielos
You could try using an ice pack to reduce the swelling - I'm not sure how effective that will be on a bruise that's already developed, but it's worth a go.

A concealer with a yellow base will have the thickest consistency, thus being the most effective way to cover it up, or maybe try a bit of foundation that matches your skin tone.

I think there are professional bruise covering up kits if you're willing to go that far, though!

You probably won't be able to cover it up completely because bruises are capillary bleeding and you just have to wait for it to heal. If you don't draw attention to it, chances are people won't notice as much.

All sounds good, thanks. Yeh that's why I want to reduce bruising rather than plaster make up over it. Much less noticeable hopefully.

Original post by joanna-eve
Ice/frozen peas or similar reduces swelling
Arnica cream helps bruises heal faster
Generally keeping bruises above your heart gets them to disappear quicker but obv your face is above your heart anyway!
Don't take ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen or cortisone medicines as these promote bruising
spread fresh parsley leves on it
rub it! that will heelp to dissipate the blood
2 days after getting the bruise, don't apply cold but apply warmth instead

(My mum's a school first-aider and used to be a childminder lol this is what she recommends)

Warmth? Never heard of that! Haha, reason?

Original post by Gemma :)!
This. I play the trumpet and bruise my lip ALL the time. Bit of arnica does the job :smile:

Original post by Ambs
Hirudoid Cream works really fast for bruises. That sounds pretty bad though, I hope you're ok!

Thank you both above :smile: Appreciate it. I'll stop faffing and try to get some sooner rather than later!
Reply 17
Original post by ihaveyourcat
How did you get the bruises? (just out of curiosity)
Use concealer of foundation that is more yellowy in colour which will help to disguise it
Arnica is also good apparently

Just some horrible girls. Hopefully they'll get what they deserve.

Arnica and yellow foundation. I'm learning a lot here :smile:
Anything to reduce swelling for things like hemorrhoids and piles usually works. Restricts the blood flow I think

My grandad would tell you to apply a mustard poultice.
Reply 19
Warmth? Never heard of that! Haha, reason?

Heat increases blood flow, once the capilliaries have started healing themselves (around 2 days, before that you want to reduce the blood flow using cold) then you want the blood to start moving around again, away from the injury site :biggrin:

Perhaps I should consider medicine after all...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending