The Student Room Group

UKCAT Cut off?

Does anyone have a list of the UKCAT cut off for universities for the last years entry?:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dilligaf16
Does anyone have a list of the UKCAT cut off for universities for the last years entry?:smile:

Newcastle take top 1000 ukcat scores and met the academic score.

Leeds use ukcat after interview for two similar candidates.

Kings use gcse score coupled with ukcat.

Soton had ukcat score of cut off around 600/500 score (don't quote me on this one but correct me please)

:smile:
Reply 2
Best thing to do is email the universities, they should tell you what it was this year and you can be confident it will be higher next year by probably around 20 points.
Cardiff only use it if they can't seperate two potential candidates on anything else.
Keele don't use it that much.
SOTON was just over 600 this year.
Reply 3
Barts has a cut-off tends to vary though.

2010 it was 680-660ish.
2011 it was 630ish.
Original post by gozatron
Barts has a cut-off tends to vary though.

2010 it was 680-660ish.
2011 it was 630ish.

I suppose it just depends on the range of UKCAT scores - there's no point in increasing the cut-off score if candidates have scored lower than the previous years' candidates, so potentially, the cut-off score could actually decrease.
Original post by thegodofgod
I suppose it just depends on the range of UKCAT scores - there's no point in increasing the cut-off score if candidates have scored lower than the previous years' candidates, so potentially, the cut-off score could actually decrease.

Possible but unlikely. Although the test content vary's every year, so the average will also vary, the number of people applying is also increasing every year. Unis that use the UKCAT as a first screen for applicant such as Glasgow aren't likely to reduce the cutoff as the number of applicants is getting ever larger.
Actually, the ukcat cut-off for soton was 577.5. I know because I applied there and I just met the cut-off with my score(577.5).
When are you meant to apply for the UKCAT? And when you apply, do you select a date OR is it if you apply earlier, you have it earlier?
Reply 8
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Possible but unlikely. Although the test content vary's every year, so the average will also vary, the number of people applying is also increasing every year. Unis that use the UKCAT as a first screen for applicant such as Glasgow aren't likely to reduce the cutoff as the number of applicants is getting ever larger.

More people applying doesn't mean all the extra people compared to the year before will all get high scores and so increase cut offs. They could quite easily all get low scores and thus decrease the average and the cut offs.
Reply 9
Manchesters was 670, they just look at the top 800 based on UKCAT and reject the rest.
Peninsula was 630ish. They said they were going to increase it next yr.
Sheffields was 715.
St Andrews was 630ish but they tend to interview those in order of UKCAT so although they have a low cut off they still use it heavily.

I think newcastles was 670 as well and I think glasgows was 660ish.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
can anyone tell me about abstract thinking?

It doesn't make sense! :mad:
Original post by telephone
More people applying doesn't mean all the extra people compared to the year before will all get high scores and so increase cut offs. They could quite easily all get low scores and thus decrease the average and the cut offs.

You are correct, just because there are more people doesn't mean they will be better. UKCAT cutoffs have gone nowhere but up since it's introduction so the odds of them going down amongst increased competition is slim.

It's probably because applicants start thinking about the UKCAT earlier and earlier every year, due to its fearsome reputation. TSR and other sites are giving people advice and links to practice for people to prepare even longer in advance. This has led to more people getting higher scores, even though it is supposed to be a test of ability.
Original post by Josh_Dey
can anyone tell me about abstract thinking?

It doesn't make sense! :mad:

You have to identify the pattern or formula for each box (e.g half as many black shapes as circles), then see if the picture you are given fits either of those formulas or neither.
Reply 13
Original post by ryan118244
Manchesters was 670, they just look at the top 800 based on UKCAT and reject the rest.
Peninsula was 630ish. They said they were going to increase it next yr.
Sheffields was 715.
St Andrews was 630ish but they tend to interview those in order of UKCAT so although they have a low cut off they still use it heavily.

I think newcastles was 670 as well and I think glasgows was 660ish.

No, I don't think so I got an interview and my UKCAT was 652.5
Reply 14
Original post by mike2niner4
When are you meant to apply for the UKCAT? And when you apply, do you select a date OR is it if you apply earlier, you have it earlier?

There is a time where you need to register by, the window of opportunity being may 3 to 23 september, though if you want to get a bursary( with the ema scrappage I no longer know what the conditions for a bursary are) that deadline is also 23 september, though this is for registration. Once you've registered, you need to book the test, and the last testing date is october 7, though its best to get the test done as early as possible and get it out of the way. The link below has more information.
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=keyDatesInformation
Reply 15
Original post by dilligaf16

Sheffield cut off was around 715 or sumthing like that, barts I don't know but it was below 837.5 :P
Reply 16
Original post by Cheddar
No, I don't think so I got an interview and my UKCAT was 652.5

Ahh they told me it was 670. But some people seem to slip past that.
Original post by kashim91
There is a time where you need to register by, the window of opportunity being may 3 to 23 september, though if you want to get a bursary( with the ema scrappage I no longer know what the conditions for a bursary are) that deadline is also 23 september, though this is for registration. Once you've registered, you need to book the test, and the last testing date is october 7, though its best to get the test done as early as possible and get it out of the way. The link below has more information.
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=keyDatesInformation

Thank you! That's helped a lot! :smile:
Reply 18
Any ukcat cut offs for scottish unis ?
Thanks
Original post by fruitfan
Any ukcat cut offs for scottish unis ?
Thanks

Glasgow was 652.

Quick Reply

Latest