The Student Room Group

How Difficult is First Year Law (LLB)?

I know this depends on which institution you choose to study Law. But, in general terms, how difficult is first year Law at undergraduate level? and what kind of content does it involve? How much reading is involved? and finally a rating of 1 - 10 in terms of how hard it is (1 = Extremely Easy to 10 = Extemely Difficult).

Any help will be highly appreciated, as I will start Law this september, and I'm totally new within this field.

thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

First year law isn't particularly difficult. Quite a bit of reading wherever you go, varies with Uni, and normally increases in volume as the year goes on. I'm at Bristol in year 1 we do Tort, Contract, Property (Not for next year's first years!), Constitutional Rights, Law and State and Criminal. I would probably give it a 6 (Not too difficult), depends on your tutors and lecturers a lot also.

Note: I say all this before my exams, ask again in a month :frown:
Original post by stevenjohnh
First year law isn't particularly difficult. Quite a bit of reading wherever you go, varies with Uni, and normally increases in volume as the year goes on. I'm at Bristol in year 1 we do Tort, Contract, Property (Not for next year's first years!), Constitutional Rights, Law and State and Criminal. I would probably give it a 6 (Not too difficult), depends on your tutors and lecturers a lot also.

Note: I say all this before my exams, ask again in a month :frown:

lol, i'll remember to ask u b4 your exams. :smile:
Original post by Larissa White
lol, i'll remember to ask u b4 your exams. :smile:

Where are you starting law next year?
Where are you starting law next year?

Im at nottingham trent uni. i heard its quite good for Law
Im at nottingham trent uni. i heard its quite good for Law

Nice, I haven't met anyone from there but I guess a law degree from most uni's is pretty good :smile:
Nice, I haven't met anyone from there but I guess a law degree from most uni's is pretty good :smile:

yeh, but i hear stories where people get a law degree, and never seem to obtain a training contract.
It is highly competitive, you need to network like mad, get a 1st and do some vac schemes. You set on being a solicitor then?
It is highly competitive, you need to network like mad, get a 1st and do some vac schemes. You set on being a solicitor then?

yep, thats my ambition in life. and I very much doubt ill be getting a first in Law lol
yep, thats my ambition in life. and I very much doubt ill be getting a first in Law lol

Fair enuf, a lot of law is in the exam technique. It can be the difference between a high 2:1 and a 1st. Again Uni dependent. Do you know which area of law you are interested in? Have you done any work experience?
Fair enuf, a lot of law is in the exam technique. It can be the difference between a high 2:1 and a 1st. Again Uni dependent. Do you know which area of law you are interested in? Have you done any work experience?

nope no experience whatsoever. im really interested in corporate/commercial law. wut bout yourself?
I see, you should get some, just ask a high street solicitor, it looks good on the CV. Commercial law interests me too, but to be honest I am more set for Investment Banking at the minute (weird for a law undergrad i know). Matter of interest why did you rule out becoming a barrister?
I see, you should get some, just ask a high street solicitor, it looks good on the CV. Commercial law interests me too, but to be honest I am more set for Investment Banking at the minute (weird for a law undergrad i know). Matter of interest why did you rule out becoming a barrister?

for me personally, becoming a barrister or a lawyer for that matter, seems too far fetched for me tbh. i'll be happy with being a solicitor :smile:

Certainly not weird. :colonhash:
Original post by Ferrero Rocher
Certainly not weird. :colonhash:

Unusual then? I only know a handful of law students who want to go into IB....
StevenJohnh , just out of curiousity, seeing as though your coming to the end of your first yr. What grades have you been achieving for your courseworks? and also how many are there?
StevenJohnh , just out of curiousity, seeing as though your coming to the end of your first yr. What grades have you been achieving for your courseworks? and also how many are there?

hahah coursework :s-smilie: my nemisis. I got a third in one piece of property cw, but that was just carelessness. Got high 2:1 and 1sts in my other coursework pieces and exams. First year doesn't count towards final degree classification anyway.

EDIT: We have 2 modules examined by CW, the other 4 by exams.
hahah coursework :s-smilie: my nemisis. I got a third in one piece of property cw, but that was just carelessness. Got high 2:1 and 1sts in my other coursework pieces and exams. First year doesn't count towards final degree classification anyway.

EDIT: We have 2 modules examined by CW, the other 4 by exams.

that quite good tbh. My strength is doing courseworks, and myweakness is sitting exams, I dread even thinking of it.

And i dont know if its true, but i heard first year results in Law, plays some sygnificants when it comes to writing your CV's when applying for TC's.
Oh I am the opposite. I perform better under short periods of intense pressure :smile: Yeah they do. Technically you only need 40% in first year and then you can get good marks in years 1&2 and still get a 1st. The problem with that approach is if you are applying for vacation schemes in year 2 then the only thing to distinguish applicants is their first year marks :s-smilie:. Most law firms ask for module marks (magic circle anyway) and predicted overall degree classification (e.g. predicted 2:1). Like 60% of people get 2:1s overall anyway, so that is usually the cut-off point. Where do you want to do a TC?
Oh I am the opposite. I perform better under short periods of intense pressure :smile: Yeah they do. Technically you only need 40% in first year and then you can get good marks in years 1&2 and still get a 1st. The problem with that approach is if you are applying for vacation schemes in year 2 then the only thing to distinguish applicants is their first year marks :s-smilie:. Most law firms ask for module marks (magic circle anyway) and predicted overall degree classification (e.g. predicted 2:1). Like 60% of people get 2:1s overall anyway, so that is usually the cut-off point. Where do you want to do a TC?

i havent thought that far ahead tbh. hopefully in the big london firms. my main priorities in the first yr will be to get as much experience possible, nand have a decent overall first yr grade.

U lookin to apply for the magic Circles then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending