The Student Room Group

Syrian Massacre - Humanity over-rated?

Watching this made me re-think humanity, and what humans will do for power, these people were apparently massacred on their way to a demonstration.

Warning - Very Depressing Extreme content - not for the faint hearted

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Surely the fact that people are willing to die for freedom like this should be maybe not uplifting but make the world a bit less depressing
Assad's father is supposed to have massacred 40,000 of his own citizens to quell the Hama revolt against his regime (according to the Syrian Human Rights Committee). Sadly the current repression is nothing new.
Reply 3
His father massacred 40,000 people in Hama in the 80s. You are correct these people are animals, they don't know what humanity is.

Eitherway the people aren't giving up
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Why has the world decided to overthrow Gaddafi and keep Assad then?
Reply 5
this video shows security forces hitting a dead protesters body badly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK6liPTQIN0
(edited 12 years ago)
That video is so ****ing disturbing
Original post by Ramox3

Both we and the Americans like Assad. In fact, he's one of us - he trained as an ophthalmologist in London and married a girl from Acton.

William Hague visited Syria in January this year and pledged Britain's support for the Assad regime and only a week ago Hilary Clinton was praising Bashar Assad for being a 'reformer' - a murderer would be more accurate and the US State department's own report on Syria shows that 17,000 people have 'disappeared' or been 'unlawfully deprived of life' under Bashar Assad's regime.
Reply 8
Original post by Ramox3

Because the world follows the realist strand of international politics. Nations' actions are dictated by interests rather than ideology. Obviously there's more interest in intervening in Libya than there is in Syria.
this is so sad !!!!! why isn't the arab region responding ????
Reply 10
Original post by Ramox3

Because Libya turned into a full on armed rebellion. A no fly zone in Syria would do nothing
Reply 11
My friend's family are from Syria, this all makes me feel kinda sick
Original post by SemperVivum
Both we and the Americans like Assad. In fact, he's one of us - he trained as an ophthalmologist in London and married a girl from Acton.

William Hague visited Syria in January this year and pledged Britain's support for the Assad regime and only a week ago Hilary Clinton was praising Bashar Assad for being a 'reformer' - a murderer would be more accurate and the US State department's own report on Syria shows that 17,000 people have 'disappeared' or been 'unlawfully deprived of life' under Bashar Assad's regime.

They are best buddies with Iran so we like to keep them on side for that reason too as Iran is committed to developing its nuclear programme.
Assad's wife is British but I don't know if the British government has any diplomatic leverage that way. I doubt sanctions et al will do much since Syria is a pseudo pariah state anyway. They do a fair bit of trade with the EU which will be grinding to a halt soon. Hopefully the military will defect and support the uprising as we've seen in Yemen, that's the only hope for the Syrians atm.
Reply 14
Game of thrones. You play or you die.

If they stepped down, they wouldnt last a day without being killed, and someone else would just replace them. Their kids and wife would also almost certainly be murdered as well.

I would just give them the money we'd spend on prosecuting them in the hague and send them to the bahamas as long as they disband their troops and set the process of reform going.

It would suck, and people would feel bad about letting a murderer live their life free and happy, but it would at least save lives.

But we're too stubborn for that.
Reply 15
What kind of weapons did they use to cause such damage?
Reply 16
Original post by Stratos
What kind of weapons did they use to cause such damage?

That damage is normal. Even a handgun could probably cause an exit-wound of those sizes at close range. They've probably been hit by automatic rifles which fire something like 39mm rounds, so that level of impact is not surprising at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending