The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theseeker
No questions need to be asked at all, because if you're taking your own life, then you're not following the purpose, you're breaking through it.

Is it the purpose of these people's lives to live in persistent agony and suffering, then?
I don't know what you believe in, but suicide is always wrong. You can't justify it. You're not following the purpose of being alive.

I don't believe in anything, personally I'm not going to (I hope) commit suicide, but there is justification on a personal level, and what's the purpose of living? I believe the reason for living is just reproduction. Sometimes people can't find happiness, and some conditions are too painful to live with, logically it makes sense.
Reply 62
Original post by Sabertooth
Because everyone knows depression isn't a real illness

Mental illness is as real to the sufferer as cancer. Just because you think its no big deal...

Original post by hazelsaurus
Sometimes people can't find happiness,.

You can only say that and mean it when the person in question has stopped looking.

Original post by Angie varona
Death is just returning to your defult state.

Thats an weirdly esoteric thing to say...
(edited 12 years ago)

Ok then, satisfy my curiosity. Why are mental illnesses which can sometimes be uncurable, and life long, without much response to medication in a totally different class to these terminal illnesses? You said people who know the suicidee will be in agony wondering why, well it doesn't take a genius to realize why the medication-resistant schizophrenic who will probably spend their whole life in hospital getting injected forcibly commits suicide, I'd say it's pretty ****ing obvious why they did it. Yet that's not ok for them to kill themselves. They're meant to spend a ****ty life, tormented by hallucinations with little to no hope of a cure just because they happen to be mentally rather than physically disabled?

Nice to see how consistent your theory is. Or maybe it's just that you're one of those people who think mental illnesses are second class to physical ones.

Totally agree!
It's about time people realise that mental illnesses are just as destructive as physical ones.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Is it the purpose of these people's lives to live in persistent agony and suffering, then?

If you believe in past life and after life, then I would think that, yes, it's one's purpose as they have encountered it on themselves in their past life.
Off course, it's her choice, but it's the wrong choice.

Says who?
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
Totally agree!
It's about time people realise that mental illnesses are just as destructive as physical ones.

This. Mental illness can be just as damaging - just because you cannot see it doesn't mean it isn't there.
Original post by Thomas...
Did you manage to read the whole of my thread? Apparently not.
If you would care to take a proper look I clearly say I am for suicide of the kind other than for terminal, if it is done correctly. By correctly I mean by reassuring their loved ones that they didn't do anything, not to worry, I'm happy now etc...

Please read before blindly posting your views. Thank you for being ever so considerate next time.

So X is severely depressed, he's tried antidepressants and therapy and has had no reprieve from his depression. He tells his family he loves them and wishes to kill himself because having suffered for many years he cannot live any longer in this state. He kills himself the next day. Was that ok in your opinion?

Perhaps you should clearly state your opinion on mental illness in the OP where you state the rest of your opinion next time? Rather than post in little pieces across a few pages. Would make more sense.
Original post by hazelsaurus
I don't believe in anything, personally I'm not going to (I hope) commit suicide, but there is justification on a personal level, and what's the purpose of living? I believe the reason for living is just reproduction. Sometimes people can't find happiness, and some conditions are too painful to live with, logically it makes sense.

However, life is full of challenges. Some challenges are greater than others. I understand, as I have friends who've wanted to commit suicide before.

I think this question does definitely, rely on, the purpose of living.
Original post by Ich Dien
Mental illness is as real to the sufferer as cancer. Just because you think its no big deal...

I think your sarcasmometer needs repairing. :wink:
Original post by Theconomist
Says who?

It completely, depends on the purpose of life. Everyone has a different opinion due to different beliefs of "purpose of living"
Reply 71
So X is severely depressed, he's tried antidepressants and therapy and has had no reprieve from his depression. He tells his family he loves them and wishes to kill himself because having suffered for many years he cannot live any longer in this state. He kills himself the next day. Was that ok in your opinion?

Perhaps you should clearly state your opinion on mental illness in the OP where you state the rest of your opinion next time? Rather than post in little pieces across a few pages. Would make more sense.

I am sorry, but I am not going to say in 3 pages what I have nicley summed up in a few lines. You seem to be the only one with a qualm.

I suppose that suicide was ok. But I wouldn't commit suicide full stop. Before you say 'how would you knowwhat you'd do' I have had a lot of personal experience with this.
Reply 72
Original post by Paranoid Android 64
What about if all your loved ones had died in an accident, or something?

I think this is too much of a grey, sensitive area to prescribe exact rules.

If you really don't have a loved one and you are either not religious or it doesn't go against your religion, then I would consider it as right, but only if you exclude suicide bombing...
Reply 73
I think your sarcasmometer needs repairing. :wink:

I don't know what you believe in, but suicide is always wrong. You can't justify it. You're not following the purpose of being alive.

Some people's purpose in life is martyrdom.
I am sorry, but I am not going to say in 3 pages what I have nicley summed up in a few lines. You seem to be the only one with a qualm.

I suppose that suicide was ok. But I wouldn't commit suicide full stop. Before you say 'how would you knowwhat you'd do' I have had a lot of personal experience with this.

I don't care what personal experience you have (though obviously it'd be nice if you did have some before pontificating on this), I was simply pointing out that mental illnesses can ruin lives just as much as physical illnesses and the way I read your opinion in the OP seemed to be extremely neglecting towards mental illness.

How nice of you to suppose it's ok for X to finally be free of his constant mental torment. :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 75
I don't care what personal experience you have (though obviously it'd be nice if you did have some before pontificating on this), I was simply pointing out that mental illnesses can ruin lives just as much as physical illnesses.

How nice of you to suppose it's ok for X to finally be free of his constant mental torment. :h:

Let'g agree to disagree on this one. :rolleyes:
Original post by Ich Dien

Some people's purpose in life is martyrdom.

Suicide and martyrdom are very different.
Reply 77
When the girlfriend beats you at cod.
Reply 78
Suicide and martyrdom are very different.

They are different sides of the same coin.
Let'g agree to disagree on this one. :rolleyes:

I never agree to disagree. :dontknow:

If you're being consistent and just didn't mention it in the OP but do believe both mental and physical illneses can be candidates for suicide (like you've claimed) that's nice, at least your theory is applied equally.

If you're being inconsistent then you're a **** who needs to learn a little about mental illnesses (which was the purpose of my post to show your inconsistency (or at least what I perceived to be your inconsistency)).

Latest

Trending

Trending