The Student Room Group

5 A*s not enough?

Unfortunately because of my own laziness, my GCSE grades aren't going to be as good as I hoped, and I'll probably end up with 5 A*s, 5 A's and a B. I going to do my best to achieve 6 A*s, but it is looking pretty unlikely at the moment.

How much will this hinder my application for 2013 entry to Dentistry? If I get 4 A's at A level and I have good work experience, could I still be in the upper quartile of applicants?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't worry about it 5* is the standard.
Well I got four, if thats anything to go by.

Just make sure you get every other bit of your application as near perfect as possible, because GCSE grades are literally asked for to cut down application numbers.. a barrier if you will. Then maybe used again in borderline cases.
I know it is not dentistry but I have 5A*s 4As 3Bs for Oxford, I have a friend who got 5 unconditional offers for dentistry and I know I did better than him at GCSE, he got 4As at A-level so you sound like you are in a pretty average if not good position to me.
Reply 4
pleeenty... do your best and it'll be enough :smile:
GCSEs are one of many areas the dental schools look at- AS grades, predictions, UKCAT, work experience, voluntary work etc are all important. Kings are known to be quite GCSE heavy but I'd imagine you would be absolutely fine with 5A*.
Original post by Theconomist
Don't worry about it 5* is the standard.

But I'm going to need to be in AT LEAST the top quarter of applicants to be in a strong position to get into one of the most competitive courses available. Average simply won't do.

Is it worth retaking GCSE's during lower 6th if I don't get at least 6 A*s?
Reply 7
Original post by Cheesecakefactory
But I'm going to need to be in AT LEAST the top quarter of applicants to be in a strong position to get into one of the most competitive courses available. Average simply won't do.

Is it worth retaking GCSE's during lower 6th if I don't get at least 6 A*s?

Yeah sure why not but retaking them if you didn't get a U is pretty useless.
Yeah sure why not but retaking them if you didn't get a U is pretty useless.

If it's because of laziness then really it's your own fault. It's pretty silly to consider retaking GCSEs when there are so many other parts of your application considered. Perhaps trying to improve your motivation and getting excellent grades in your A levels as you obviously think you can do better.

There are people who have had less than you get in so focus on more important matters.
Reply 9
It definitely is enough!
Original post by AspiringGenius
If it's because of laziness then really it's your own fault. It's pretty silly to consider retaking GCSEs when there are so many other parts of your application considered. Perhaps trying to improve your motivation and getting excellent grades in your A levels as you obviously think you can do better.

There are people who have had less than you get in so focus on more important matters.

I 2nd this.Get some nice work experience and just better yourself.

5A* is really not as bad as you think.
I 2nd this.Get some nice work experience and just better yourself.

5A* is really not as bad as you think.

I'm doing all of that anyway. I should have said this in my OP, but let me make this clear-

I NEED to get into dental school. I will be crushed if I don't get in and I need to maximise my chances. There is simply no other career that I will settle for, so I'm just going to re-apply year after year until I get in. This means I'll do absolutely anything to increase my chances of getting a place.

I want to be well above average in every aspect. I don't mind retaking a few exams if it will get my GCSE results from 'average' to 'above average' for a dental applicant.
I'm doing all of that anyway. I should have said this in my OP, but let me make this clear-

I NEED to get into dental school. I will be crushed if I don't get in and I need to maximise my chances. There is simply no other career that I will settle for, so I'm just going to re-apply year after year until I get in. This means I'll do absolutely anything to increase my chances of getting a place.

I want to be well above average in every aspect. I don't mind retaking a few exams if it will get my GCSE results from 'average' to 'above average' for a dental applicant.

That's fine. But if you really want to follow your dream you need to put this is perspective: YOU HAVE 5 A*s PLUS ANOTHER 5 As! That equals 10a/a*s which is a damn sight better than most. If you spend all this time resitting GCSEs on something worthwhile (like, I dunno, taking A levels, valuablenwork experience) then you actually have a better chance. Imagine telling the admissions you're a year later than usual not because you took a gap year, not for work experience, but to resit your GCSEs to get an A* instead of an A. It's an asterix after all.
Reply 13
You could just pull your finger out now, there's still time to do a load of past papers and solid revision and get 7 or 8 A*s....
Original post by Marksman
You could just pull your finger out now, there's still time to do a load of past papers and solid revision and get 7 or 8 A*s....

What the hell do you think I'm doing right now?

It's coursework that is going to cost me those A*s, not the final exams. I have been revising plenty, and expect to get near full marks in every paper. In fact, If every GCSE was exams only, I would end up with 9/10 A*s.
Mate it will be fine 5A* and 5A is great results
Reply 16

Unfortunately because of my own laziness, my GCSE grades aren't going to be as good as I hoped, and I'll probably end up with 5 A*s, 5 A's and a B. I going to do my best to achieve 6 A*s, but it is looking pretty unlikely at the moment.

How much will this hinder my application for 2013 entry to Dentistry? If I get 4 A's at A level and I have good work experience, could I still be in the upper quartile of applicants?

I have 5A*s and I've got in, the universities are looking for well rounded individuals who have an ability to communicate well, they aren't too bothered about grades so long as you have the minimum requirements. So look at dental schools GCSE requirements and that's all really, I think your grades will be fine, it doesn't matter if they're average, write an amazing personal statement, and you'll be in the 'top quarter'.

Also, predictions are all good but work hard to get them now :smile: good luck!

Absolutely disgusting. You need at least 18A*'s to even be considered a place onto dentistry and you must take 8 A-levels and achieve 1000 UMS marks in each of them. I am absolutely outraged that you would even think that you have a chance with dentistry with those grades. I heard an admissions tutor at ICL had a fatal heart attack when someone had applied for dentistry with 10A*'s, do you really want to take that risk?! Once you fail your GCSEs, your life is officially in ruins, your parents will kick you out of the house, you'll be wiped out of your school history books and ostracized by everyone you know. I am sitting here typing this with tears in my eyes, I cannot believe you would consider dentistry with 5A*'s?! WTH!!! I have never heard of such ghastly GCSE grades I think the TSR GCSE police should come over and arrest you. Remember, all unis care about are your GCSE and A-level grades and nothing else. Dentistry is the be all and end all of EVERYTHING. If you don't get in, I suggest suicide is your only option.
GCSE's are by far the least important apart of your application...they are nothing more than a tick box. As long as you don't have a bundle of B's and C's, the difference between someone with 3A*'s and 10A*'s is minimal at best.

Work hard for your gcse's, but take on board the sensible advice given by everyone here.

It's difficult to accept but we know a hell of a lot more about the in's and out's of the application process, and you will too, 1 year from now.

Seriously wish you the best of luck with everything!
lol, my mate got 1 and he's at Sheffield now doing dentistry.....don't worry too much about it, do your best of course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest