The Student Room Group

How to tell my parents im going out with an asian girl

I'm a white guy who has recently started going out with an Indian girl who i have known for a long time now and we are really close and have a great relationship, my mum has noticed something is up and keeps asking if i have a girlfriend but I'm worried to admit to it because I'm not sure what her or my dads reaction will be, although i am pretty certain my dad would "Disown" me from what he has said in the past.

My mum and dad have always said to never get in a relationship with anyone who ain't white which IMO is pretty pathetic for many reasons and whilst they are not racist (they have many friends from different races) they have made it clear they don't want me to be in a relationship with someone who is a different race.

Worst Outcome = Disowned / Kicked out the house
Best Outcome = They accept it and are happy about it

I feel i should be able to tell them about a girlfriend regardless of their race / color / religion but I'm not sure if it would really be worth all the trouble it could potentially cause?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How old are you?
Original post by PixelAttack

I'm a white guy who has recently started going out with an Indian girl who i have known for a long time now and we are really close and have a great relationship, my mum has noticed something is up and keeps asking if i have a girlfriend but I'm worried to admit to it because I'm not sure what her or my dads reaction will be, although i am pretty certain my dad would "Disown" me from what he has said in the past.

My mum and dad have always said to never get in a relationship with anyone who ain't white which IMO is pretty pathetic for many reasons and whilst they are not racist (they have many friends from different races) they have made it clear they don't want me to be in a relationship with someone who is a different race.

Worst Outcome = Disowned / Kicked out the house
Best Outcome = They accept it and are happy about it

I feel i should be able to tell them about a girlfriend regardless of their race / color / religion but I'm not sure if it would really be worth all the trouble it could potentially cause?

Go out with whoever the **** you want? :dunce:
Original post by im so academic
Go out with whoever the **** you want? :dunce:

Aren't you like 5 or summat?
What a role reversal! :eek:
Reply 5
It would be utterly ridiculous if they were to disown you for having an indian girlfriend.. and is pretty racist imo.
In before Mr Smurf - the loser pretending to be another race.
Indian girls are so ****ing hot :sexface:
If my parents held views like that, I would want nothing to do with them.

Go out with who you want. If for some reason, you accept that they are racist yet still respect them and want to maintain the status quo, don't tell them (though if I was the girl in that scenario, I wouldn't be happy at being kept a secret because of my race).

And being friends with people from other races doesn't therefore mean you cannot be racist. You can be friends with people you view as inferior.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Follow your heart regardless.

As for your parents, you will eventually need to tell them one day rather than them finding out themselves, which can cause more trouble than you telling them. But there should be no rush to so do so when you feel the time is right.
Reply 10
'Hey Dad, I'm currently drilling an asian girl, her name is Bob. Just thought I'd let you know.'
You:Mum, dad, I've been sleeping with a big black guy
Them: :lolwut: :lolwut:
You:Only joking, I am going out with an indian girl though :tongue:

Alternatively you could tell them you have a girlfriend without telling them what race she is, as that shouldn't matter. Then when they eventually meet her they will realise. They wont be able to kill you in front of her.

Original post by LaughingBro
In before Mr Smurf - the loser pretending to be another race.

You really hate Mr Smurf don't you? :rofl:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by a_t
How old are you?

I'm 19 and my girlfriend is 18
Original post by Lewroll

Alternatively you could tell them you have a girlfriend without telling them what race she is, as that shouldn't matter. Then when they eventually meet her they will realise. They wont be able to kill you in front of her.

The first thing they will probably ask is if she is white, or they will ask to see pictures of her, not that im ashamed to show them any, i just don't want to have a massive argument about this kind of thing with them.
Reply 13
"mum, dad. I'm going out with an indian girl"
was that so hard? :teehee:

... then brace for the worst :ahee:
(edited 12 years ago)
I
The first thing they will probably ask is if she is white, or they will ask to see pictures of her, not that im ashamed to show them any, i just don't want to have a massive argument about this kind of thing with them.

Will they really ask that? And if you say that she isn't white will they go crazy? I don't know what to do, sorry. If I was your situation I would just tell them and get it over with. The longer you wait the worse it will be.
Reply 15
Next time one of them asks you if you have a girlfriend, just say yes and tell them her name. Then they'll just have to deal with it. At least then you're not saying it outright (unless her name doesn't sound Indian). Why do they not want you to date non-white people? Do you really think that they'll disown you?
Reply 16
Original post by Lewroll
Will they really ask that? And if you say that she isn't white will they go crazy? I don't know what to do, sorry. If I was your situation I would just tell them and get it over with. The longer you wait the worse it will be.

Yeah they really would and to be honest i have no idea why they would be so concerned about it either ... and yeah i can see it causing serious problems in the future sadly.
Original post by Philbert
Next time one of them asks you if you have a girlfriend, just say yes and tell them her name. Then they'll just have to deal with it. At least then you're not saying it outright (unless her name doesn't sound Indian). Why do they not want you to date non-white people? Do you really think that they'll disown you?

Her name does sound Indian although it would be sure to cause an argument straight away if i just come out with it, and i have no idea why they want me to date non white people, and whilst i think my mum would eventually get over it i know my dad definitely would disown me.
Reply 17
Go out with whoever you want. No one is stopping you.

If your parents are against it then they're not doing their job as parents.
:hmmm:

Normally, the situation's the other way around - Asian parents going crazy if their children have:

a) A boy/girlfriend
b) someone who's not from their race.

:holmes:

Best of luck anyway :wink:
Reply 19

Her name does sound Indian although it would be sure to cause an argument straight away if i just come out with it, and i have no idea why they want me to date non white people, and whilst i think my mum would eventually get over it i know my dad definitely would disown me.

What's her name? Anita? Nisha? Priya? Riya?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending