The Student Room Group

Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I think that the cultural and class differences make a much bigger impact than race anyway.
I would think my parents would be a bit shocked, but nothing too extreme. Saying that, I don't know any guys who are not white British so it would be quite difficult to find anyone...
Original post by Angie varona
They are cool with every other race except black.Even mixed race is fine but not black.

I dont like black girls at all so its all good anyway.They're ugly imo.

why not 'black' people?
I went out with a girl whose grandfather hated black people... He used to say that if a black person came to his door he would set the dogs on them... Let's just say I made myself pretty scarce when he came over :wink:
Reply 44
Original post by adilmorrison
I went out with a girl whose grandfather hated black people... He used to say that if a black person came to his door he would set the dogs on them... Let's just say I made myself pretty scarce when he came over :wink:

he sounds like a bnp chav supporter anyway!
Why would they? My mum thinks Denzel Washington is hot (He is, for an old guy). :lol: But yeah, they're pretty much predicting that I'll bring home a Hindu guy or something just so I can have a big fancy glittery wedding (How shallow I seem to them! :lol: I'm not actually that shallow in reality). They won't care, as long as he's a decent sort of fellow. :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by NaturalDisaster
Why would they? My mum thinks Denzel Washington is hot (He is, for an old guy). :lol: But yeah, they're pretty much predicting that I'll bring home a Hindu guy or something just so I can have a big fancy glittery wedding (How shallow I seem to them! :lol: I'm not actually that shallow in reality). They won't care, as long as he's a decent sort of fellow. :smile:

You want a gypsy :wink:
my dad would HATE it if i dated a white guy

my grand father would probably never talk to me again if i dated a white guy... sad but true
I don't know, I live in an area of England which is ridiculously white so I've never actually dated outside my race. I can't see them having an issue with it though.
Original post by ForKicks
You want a gypsy :wink:

Meh. If I fancy them then sure, why not? Especially if they're Irish...:drool:

:lol:

But don't Hindu weddings last like, a week or something fantastic like that? Even though I'm a Christian, Hindu weddings look awesome. I could not wear a white wedding dress and that would be fine. I'd love it. :lol:
Neither of my parents want to me to date (or marry, rather) a black guy. They've explicitly told me this.

It's quite funny/strange considering the fact that I'm half black.......
Reply 51
Original post by NaturalDisaster
Meh. If I fancy them then sure, why not? Especially if they're Irish...:drool:

:lol:

But don't Hindu weddings last like, a week or something fantastic like that? Even though I'm a Christian, Hindu weddings look awesome. I could not wear a white wedding dress and that would be fine. I'd love it. :lol:

I think you just want someone with a lot of money. Then you can MAKE it last a week..or a month
Well, my dad is totally racist, so yeah he'd be weird about it.
I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years and I'm yet to tell my dad he was born in Germany, I can't even imagine my dads face if I brought home someone of a different skin tone, not that it would stop me ofc.
I think you just want someone with a lot of money. Then you can MAKE it last a week..or a month

Money never hurts. :lol: But to be honest, I don't care. Neither do my parents. I asked them this once and they were like "You can bring home a black girl with multiple nose piercings if you want, as long as you love each other." My parents are pretty liberal. As long as the guy isn't some kind of psycho they really couldn't care less.
Reply 54
Original post by chemical_bex
Well, my dad is totally racist, so yeah he'd be weird about it.
I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years and I'm yet to tell my dad he was born in Germany, I can't even imagine my dads face if I brought home someone of a different skin tone, not that it would stop me ofc.

Why are so many people on this thread confusing race with culture?
My parents don't give a ****.

I don't buy the whole 'it's how you were brought up' bull****. My mum was brought up by a fairly racist couple, she isn't racist in the slightest. Just as she was brought up in a very Christian family, and saw that that was all bull**** too.

Any intelligent individual knows that caring about something as trivial as the colour of a person's skin is completely absurd.

I guess there is some diabetes on my dad's side of the family, it would be okay for him to be all 'HELL NAWWW YOU AIN'T MATING WITH NO BLAX' because they're more prone to DIABTETUS right and he wouldn't want me to have diabetusbaby. : <,,,
(edited 12 years ago)
My mum would be pissed but I don't care what she thinks about who I date. I like girls of all races and luckily I live in quite a diverse area, so there is lots of choice :sexface:
Well seeing as my mum did then she can't have a problem with it :smile:

And if i could only date with-in my race then i'd have like noone to choose from, living where i live! :tongue:
Why are so many people on this thread confusing race with culture?

I'm not.
I was comparing at how he would take the news my boyfriend was from a different country, let alone someone with different coloured skin.
Reply 59
hahaha, hardly mixed race though is it? More mixed cultures

That was in reply to somebody who said that people from countries who were at war may not like each other.. such as Britian and Germany...

India and Pakistan sure... you'll have an issue there. but WW2 was 70 years ago...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending