The Student Room Group

Need criticisms and comments on my video - C2 Integration

Hello!

I have made some videos covering a bit of the C2 syllabus, with even some exam examples, and i will get onto covering it all!
Check my channel for more videos,

http://www.youtube.com/user/MathStudentTeacher

UPDATE!
6 New videos posted this morning,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtyqofMcgBI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_u_hIfg7WQ
the two integration videos revised

criticism + comments needed!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
other than the handwriting it's good but i think it needs to be shortened a bit :smile:
oh yes you should use a ruler lol
Reply 2
Original post by jndk109
other than the handwriting it's good but i think it needs to be shortened a bit :smile:
oh yes you should use a ruler lol

just as i finished i picked my ruler up to wonder why it had been laying there all that time!? But yeah i will next time :tongue:
Handwriting will come with practise i hope, tablets are weird things
thank you:smile:
Reply 3
no problem keep it up im sure that ill be using your guides in c3 and 4 :smile: will need the help then
Reply 4
Original post by jndk109
no problem keep it up im sure that ill be using your guides in c3 and 4 :smile: will need the help then

hehe i hope your a first year then :tongue:
Im in year 12 and although there is examsolutions.co.uk, i see no videos for further pure or decision maths so i thought i'd make my own :smile:
Reply 5
yeah i am on my first year, I've never heard of that website before ill check it out, and yeah we/I need videos like this from a students perspective
Reply 6
You seem to hesitate a lot when you speak: "emm", "so basically", etc.... You need to sound more self-confident when you speak :P

And also, when you wrote the little box with xdx\int x dx , it really should read xndx\int x^n dx hehe
Reply 7
They're pretty good. There are a few problems though (the last of which is probably the most major of the lot)

- You wrote xdx=1n+1xn+1\displaystyle \int x\, dx = \dfrac{1}{n+1}x^{n+1}... this is just wrong

- You spent a lot of time talking about the constant of integration and proceeded to write f(x)dx=f(x)\displaystyle \int f'(x)\, dx = f(x)

- I'm a bit uneasy about "x³ graph" -- to me that means "the graph of y=x³", but it's fairly obvious what you mean (i.e. a cubic graph) so I'll let you off

- In the second video, you seem to be saying that a cubic graph with roots at 2,5,7 and a y-intercept at -10 is given by y=x33x2+2x10y=x^3-3x^2+2x-10; you got the y-intercept right, but not the roots. This has led to quite a bad mistake, because the cubic you wrote has a root between 2 and 5 (at ~3.31), so the integral evaluated directly between 2 and 5 doesn't tell you the area under the curve -- instead it tells you the area under the curve between 3.31 and 5, minus the area above the curve between 2 and 3.31.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by jndk109
yeah i am on my first year, I've never heard of that website before ill check it out, and yeah we/I need videos like this from a students perspective

Check examsolutions, great website
Reply 9
Original post by Miss Mary
You seem to hesitate a lot when you speak: "emm", "so basically", etc.... You need to sound more self-confident when you speak :P

And also, when you wrote the little box with xdx\int x dx , it really should read xndx\int x^n dx hehe

Yeah i have no script im doing it straight from my head, its so unorganised, i thought it sounded natural but oh well :tongue:

and yeah i get what you mean, i didnt put a power on the one inside the box, but i did on the one outside
Reply 10
Original post by nuodai
They're pretty good. There are a few problems though (the last of which is probably the most major of the lot)

- You wrote xdx=1n+1xn+1\displaystyle \int x\, dx = \dfrac{1}{n+1}x^{n+1}... this is just wrong

- You spent a lot of time talking about the constant of integration and proceeded to write f(x)dx=f(x)\displaystyle \int f'(x)\, dx = f(x)

- I'm a bit uneasy about "x³ graph" -- to me that means "the graph of y=x³", but it's fairly obvious what you mean (i.e. a cubic graph) so I'll let you off

- In the second video, you seem to be saying that a cubic graph with roots at 2,5,7 and a y-intercept at -10 is given by y=x33x2+2x10y=x^3-3x^2+2x-10; you got the y-intercept right, but not the roots. This has led to quite a bad mistake, because the cubic you wrote has a root between 2 and 5 (at ~3.31), so the integral evaluated directly between 2 and 5 doesn't tell you the area under the curve -- instead it tells you the area under the curve between 3.31 and 5, minus the area above the curve between 2 and 3.31.

On your first point, im confused, is it because i didnt put the + C? didnt mention n =/= -1 either

and on your last point, i completely made up the graph, and when i put it in my graph calculator, it looked horrible so yeah my bad, atleast i wasnt wrong :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
"integration in a nutshell"

make it shorter, it will make things easier, no need to go too long on such a simple topic. In fact this can have negative affects on ones learning.

Look at livemaths.co.uk for example, the man is quick at explaining and understanding is easier, he understands the viewers needs and gets it does and over with, and then you can swiftly move on to the next topic, whereas I'd feel tired after 12 or so minutes on something so simple
Reply 12
Original post by Jampolo
On your first point, im confused, is it because i didnt put the + C? didnt mention n =/= -1 either

Constants aside, it's because xdx=x22 (+C)\displaystyle \int x\, dx = \dfrac{x^2}{2}\ (+C). You should have written xndx\displaystyle \int x^n\, dx on the LHS instead. I mean, it's fairly clear from the context for someone who's studied integration before, but if you've not studied integration then it's not clear at all.

The only real reason why I'm being so nitpicky is because people tend to copy what they're taught, whether it's by a teacher or just in an instructional video. If someone goes for a while using bad habits without questioning their accuracy, it can cost whole grades when it comes to exams.

Original post by Jampolo
and on your last point, i completely made up the graph, and when i put it in my graph calculator, it looked horrible so yeah my bad, atleast i wasnt wrong :tongue:

For future reference it's a better idea to think up examples before you make the video and make sure they're accurate. It's good that you can just come up with examples on the spot, but not if you get caught out on subtleties (like here).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by nuodai
Constants aside, it's because xdx=x22 (+C)\displaystyle \int x\, dx = \dfrac{x^2}{2}\ (+C). You should have written xndx\displaystyle \int x^n\, dx on the LHS instead. I mean, it's fairly clear from the context for someone who's studied integration before, but if you've not studied integration then it's not clear at all.

The only real reason why I'm being so nitpicky is because people tend to copy what they're taught, whether it's by a teacher or just in an instructional video. If someone goes for a while using bad habits without questioning their accuracy, it can cost whole grades when it comes to exams.

For future reference it's a better idea to think up examples before you make the video and make sure they're accurate. It's good that you can just come up with examples on the spot, but not if you get caught out on subtleties (like here).

I understand, rule wasnt explicit. And i'll probably leave the commentary until after, that way i dont stutter and/or make up impossible examples.
thank you, nuodai.
Reply 14
Original post by ilyking
"integration in a nutshell"

make it shorter, it will make things easier, no need to go too long on such a simple topic. In fact this can have negative affects on ones learning.

Look at livemaths.co.uk for example, the man is quick at explaining and understanding is easier, he understands the viewers needs and gets it does and over with, and then you can swiftly move on to the next topic, whereas I'd feel tired after 12 or so minutes on something so simple

Yeah when i made it, i didnt think it was even over 10 minutes! But i even had to break it down into 2 videos it was that big, god i ramble on too much :tongue:
Original post by Jampolo
rule wasnt explicit.

He wasn't referring to the 'rule' not being explicit but rather the fact that you integrated the wrong thing. That's the integral of xnx^n, not xdx\displaystyle \int x dx. :p:

All-in-all, not a bad try. The idea of it flowing natural is good but I think have some idea of the structure beforehand will be beneficial.
Reply 16
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
He wasn't referring to the 'rule' not being explicit but rather the fact that you integrated the wrong thing. That's the integral of xnx^n, not xdx\displaystyle \int x dx. :p:

All-in-all, not a bad try. The idea of it flowing natural is good but I think have some idea of the structure beforehand will be beneficial.

ok yeah i just followed on from the example :frown:
less stuttering, and an example that actually works is needed :tongue:
as soon as i saw your comment i was like 'oh no he's going to rip me to shreds' but im glad you didn't :tongue:
Original post by Jampolo
ok yeah i just followed on from the example :frown:
less stuttering, and an example that actually works is needed :tongue:
as soon as i saw your comment i was like 'oh no he's going to rip me to shreds' but im glad you didn't :tongue:

Yeah, it's not a major problem. At this point, I would have been clutching for some excuse like "it was a typo, the n was supposed to be there :shifty:". :p:

Really? I didn't know I had a reputation for being a harsh critic. :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Yeah, it's not a major problem. At this point, I would have been clutching for some excuse like "it was a typo, the n was supposed to be there :shifty:". :p:

Really? I didn't know I had a reputation for being a harsh critic. :wink:

Well i'd not long got in from work, so im going to throw the 'oh i was tired excuse' out there :wink:

And well i've seen you comment around the math forum, talking mainly about STEP and you must be pretty good at what you do, and i feel like the incompetent newbie who cant even put an n above an x hehe :stupid:
Original post by Jampolo
Hello!

Using a tablet and some software i have made a video that just explains basic C2 Integration, and i have made it to firstly help my understanding, and to help others, it's a fairly easy C2 topic which is why i chose it

MY HANDWRITING SUCKS - i know that im just trying to get used to it all:smile:

part1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDs0Z03bz4
part2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf4og5guUHk

criticism + comments needed!

Yo, your accent...are you an Essex lad? Btw the video explained things brilliantly but maybe refrain from the "erm" and "urg" bits?

Quick Reply

Latest