The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

When do all the individual stalking threads get going usually?
Original post by dmz
I applied months ago and they only got back two months ago, one offered me the job on the spot,but they messed me about so i've been ignoring them, they sent me another letter yesterday asking me to come in for induction, I'm gonna say yes and not turn up - The bastards (i technically have 4 jobs if i count there)

Applied thru the BUPA site, they don't ask for experience, my other ones were contacts really

I've been completely wasting my time with NHS jobs..?? :cry2:
I've applied for soo many and they all ask for NVQs but i thought I could tactfully get around it in my supporting statement..
Original post by platty1907

Lol hope they will be soon :tongue:
Atm, i'm basing my decisions on 2011 entry uni threads :colondollar:
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
I've applied for soo many and they all ask for NVQs but i thought I could tactfully get around it in my supporting statement..

same with me. I am applying for support worker jobs though, which involves working with people with learning disabilities. The occasional sleepover might be involved though. Not looking forward to that, if I get a job as a support worker.

Even the Bupa jobs ask for too much. Most say they do not require experience, but they reject you anyway as they want someone that is experienced. :s-smilie:

How are you getting on? You had any interviews?

I have an interview on Thursday for a support worker job. :smile:
Reply 1404
Right guys I have a problem . I am getting no where with advanced higher chemistry unit 3.
Unit 1 and 2 are ok. But unit 3-i havent a scooby. Teachers are no good, and ive tried writing notes but doesnt help. Any advice ?

Sorry for brining this problem here, I guess this is the only place with caring (future doctors) people that'll possibly give a solution. Thanks a bunch :wink:
Original post by firestar101
same with me. I am applying for support worker jobs though, which involves working with people with learning disabilities. The occasional sleepover might be involved though. Not looking forward to that, if I get a job as a support worker.

Even the Bupa jobs ask for too much. Most say they do not require experience, but they reject you anyway as they want someone that is experienced. :s-smilie:

How are you getting on? You had any interviews?

I have an interview on Thursday for a support worker job. :smile:

I might try looking at those actually.. :rolleyes:
I haven't had any interviews yet, i only started applying this week though so fingers crossed!
The experience bit is annoying though, makes you wonder how many NVQs you need to clean up some vomit..
On the applications i just over exaggerated what I did on my work experience placements though and basically gave the impression that I already had vomit-cleaning experience even if i didn't have the certificate to show for it :biggrin:
I been focusing trying to focus on revising for exams so far but then i thought that by time exams are over, all the care jobs may be gone.. :eek:

Good luck with your interview btw!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fruitfan
Right guys I have a problem . I am getting no where with advanced higher chemistry unit 3.
Unit 1 and 2 are ok. But unit 3-i havent a scooby. Teachers are no good, and ive tried writing notes but doesnt help. Any advice ?

Sorry for brining this problem here, I guess this is the only place with caring (future doctors) people that'll possibly give a solution. Thanks a bunch :wink:

Have you got the bright red revision book, it's helped me with chemistry.
Reply 1407
Hmm yes. Thanks
Reply 1408
Original post by fruitfan

this the Scottish system. I now hate Scotland cos Glasgow rejected me post interview :cry:

HCA is probably prefered in an hospital than a care home tbh but yea the qualifications wanted for hospital was an issue
Original post by dmz
HCA is probably prefered in an hospital than a care home tbh but yea the qualifications wanted for hospital was an issue

I'm not really fussy tbh, any job in the caring profession is hard to get when you're a school leaver..
Except for maybe "live-in carer needed for mental/possessed/demonic old lady. No experience necessary" :rolleyes:
Original post by dmz
this the Scottish system. I now hate Scotland cos Glasgow rejected me post interview :cry:

But, demi. Scotland loves you. They made a mistake rejecting you. :redface:

By stalking threads do you mean the medical school applicant threads?

Ie: This awesome one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1379230

Or do you mean the epicly awesome stalking wiki page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2011_Entry

The threads tend to start august/september time, and I'll be making the next stalking wiki page at the start of september :yep:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
By stalking threads do you mean the medical school applicant threads?

Ie: This awesome one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1379230

Or do you mean the epicly awesome stalking wiki page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2011_Entry

The threads tend to start august/september time, and I'll be making the next stalking wiki page at the start of september :yep:

I meant the individual ones like the barts one you posted, but they are both equally awesome :smile: it's those threads that keep me sane through the long ucas period!!

I meant the individual ones like the barts one you posted, but they are both equally awesome :smile: it's those threads that keep me sane through the long ucas period!!

Well then you will learn to love this thread as it's the re-applicant threads that helped keep me sane-ish :yep:

But yeah, end of august/early september usually :h:
Reply 1414
I'm not really fussy tbh, any job in the caring profession is hard to get when you're a school leaver..
Except for maybe "live-in carer needed for mental/possessed/demonic old lady. No experience necessary" :rolleyes:

It does seem pretty difficult. I'm going to just hope for one of those jobs, and once I'm past exams and if I haven't got any hope, I'll have to start looking for bar/waitress/shop work. Although I've got less experience in that, so I'm less likely to get a job like that!

I'm just scared that I'll get an 'you're overqualified' for the job I applied for that said you only needed 4 GCSE's. I don't know how often that happens, but I'm scared it will.
Reply 1415
I'm thinking of applying to newcastle and brighton and sussex this year does anybody know if they use ukcat cutoffs, what they are and how much they change year to year?
Reply 1416
Original post by ASB31
I'm thinking of applying to newcastle and brighton and sussex this year does anybody know if they use ukcat cutoffs, what they are and how much they change year to year?

Newcastle was 675(i think) this yr
Reply 1417
I've just realised UKCAT registration opens in a couple of days. I hadn't thought about it up until now tbh - it really brings home the reality of 4 rejections :console:

I'm looking to do the UKCAT as soon as possible so i can be in a position to decide which med schools to apply to this time :crossedf: Do you guys agree that's the best way?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1418
Original post by -Taz-
I've just realised UKCAT registration opens in a couple of days. I hadn't thought about it up until now tbh - it really brings home the reality of 4 rejections :console:

I'm looking to do the UKCAT as soon as possible so i can be in a position to decide which med schools to apply to this time :crossedf: Do you guys agree that's the best way?

Depends how long you've got to practise before you take it.

I mean, I'm planning on doing mine towards the end of August, probably around results day, because I have three weeks of holidays booked and paid for, pretty much straight after exams, so I won't have much time to practise if I wanted to do it early like I was originally going to do.

I'm going to try and make a list in the first few weeks of the holidays of 'I got a high UKCAT med schools', 'I got an average UKCAT med schools' and 'I got a really terrible UKCAT FML med schools'. So then when it comes to exams I can just make my decisions, and try and choose which of my PS drafts to use for that application.
Original post by twelve
It does seem pretty difficult. I'm going to just hope for one of those jobs, and once I'm past exams and if I haven't got any hope, I'll have to start looking for bar/waitress/shop work. Although I've got less experience in that, so I'm less likely to get a job like that!

I'm just scared that I'll get an 'you're overqualified' for the job I applied for that said you only needed 4 GCSE's. I don't know how often that happens, but I'm scared it will.

Yeah that kinda is frustrating.. Like it's a crime to have 10-11 GCSEs with good grades in them..
But I spoke to a friend of my mum who recruits nurses/HCAs and she said if you stress on the fact that you want to work in a caring profession and the experiences you've had in this rather than your school/academic stuff, you're in with a good chance of an interview. Don't mention anything about med schl for now just paint yourself up to match the "Person specification" in your supporting statement :smile:
I've just filled out a couple of application forms with this way so fingers crossed!

Original post by -Taz-

I agree that the UKCAT will decide for you but not sure about doing it as early as possible. If you're doing A Levels, you'll only really have august time ish to prepare anyways and i'd probably want more time. It's up to you of course but I'd just have a couple of lists of unis to apply to depending on UKCAT score/A level grades and that way you already have an idea where you'll apply to. So yeah pretty much what Twelve said..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending