The Student Room Group

Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ich Dien
That was in reply to somebody who said that people from countries who were at war may not like each other.. such as Britian and Germany...

India and Pakistan sure... you'll have an issue there. but WW2 was 70 years ago...

Err.. China and Japan were at war 70 years ago - and there are still 'issues' which people have in using products manufactured in the other country, let alone entering relationships with a person from the said other country.
Reply 61
Original post by effofex
Err.. China and Japan were at war 70 years ago - and there are still 'issues' which people have in using products manufactured in the other country, let alone entering relationships with a person from the said other country.

I was not talking about China, or Japan. :curious: The Chinese army didnt occupy Japan for 40 years following the conflict..
Reply 62
Original post by Ich Dien
I was not talking about China, or Japan. :curious:

So basically I was right about most of my earlier post then.
I'd expect them to stop funding my education.

Also, biased poll is biased. What if I don't find people outside my own race really attractive and don't want to date them?
Reply 64
Original post by effofex
So basically I was right about most of my earlier post then.

No, because I was refering to a spicific situation. The time period was not the factor..
As long as she isn't muslim, my parents are fine. I'm Indian so this makes sense.

But even if they were extremely racist and didn't want me to date anyone but my own race, I would just do it anyway.
Reply 66
Original post by chemical_bex
I'm not.
I was comparing at how he would take the news my boyfriend was from a different country, let alone someone with different coloured skin.

Stay classy.
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
I'd expect them to stop funding my education.

Also, biased poll is biased. What if I don't find people outside my own race really attractive and don't want to date them?

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/333990_the-hottest-mixed-race-women

Tell me if you change your mind.
:wink:
My parents would kill me.
I'm Indian. The rule in our house in NO Whites, NO Blacks and NO Muslims. My mum also told me not to marry an Oriental guy because she doesn't want a 'slit eyed - flat faced' grandchild haha.

I said date, not f*** :wink:

Plus, I sort of consider all Europeans, and South Americans (the whiteish ones) to be sort of the same as me.
My parents would never let me date a White guy, which is fine because I don't find White men attractive in the slightest.

One of my friends is also Asian and she has been going out with a White guy for 3 years, but he doesn't know that she's voluntarily having an arranged marriage this year lolz
Reply 72
Unfortunately, my dad has told me that he wouldn't be happy about it if I dated outside my race and I think my mum would also rather me date a white person. Though saying that, if I dated outside my race, I think both my parents would just get used to it. I don't think they'd have a lot of choice to be honest. I wouldn't break up with someone just because my parents don't like their race.
Reply 73
Nah, my parents aren't disgustingly ignorant racists.
Well I'm mixed race so they can't really say anything. They might be a bit funny if I got with anyone Asian though, just speculation mind.

My grandparents were annoyed when mum got with dad, but they're over it now.
Reply 75
yes of course but I don´t see an reason why I shouldn´t.
Reply 76
Original post by Anonymous
I'm Indian. The rule in our house in NO Whites, NO Blacks and NO Muslims. My mum also told me not to marry an Oriental guy because she doesn't want a 'slit eyed - flat faced' grandchild haha.

Your parents are not nice people.
I think my parents would prefer me to get with an African guy. Well, that's what my dad has vocally expressed a few times. But I'm sure they wouldn't mind too much if the guy was a different race, providing he was decent for me :smile:
Original post by slavetosociety
<Snip>

My mum is English and dad is French so I doubt they'd care too much about mixed race... I know they are both white but if they can get past nationalities I'd guess they could get past me dating someone who is not white or date a Christian.
Yes, and I obey their wishes…

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending