The Student Room Group

Nail Varnishes. OPI/alternatives?

Scroll to see replies

I use O.P.I nail varnishes, they always have the coolest collections I especially loved the Alice in Wonderland collection. Essie, Leighton Denny and Jessica nail varnishes are great too.
Original post by DancinBallerina
Seriously go here - OPI is like £2-3!!! Sod paying £10.99 lol. I usually go into Sally's, look @ the shades I want, jot them down, go home and order from that website. They literally take a few days to arrive! Ordered China Glaze, currently waiting for it to arrive, before I order an OPI shade I loved when looking @ it in Sally's. lol

Thanks for the tip but that's actually still out of my range. I only buy nail varnishes in bulk, I usually get 3 for £4 (Miss Sporty) or 3 for the price of 2 or 2 for £5 Barry M. I know OPI is amaaaaazing etc and I will order from there in future, but I need to cut down on my purchasing now as I have at least 5 colours waiting to be worn, and with 35 in total I should be using the ones I already have :colondollar:
xx
Original post by blinkbelle
Thanks for the tip but that's actually still out of my range. I only buy nail varnishes in bulk, I usually get 3 for £4 (Miss Sporty) or 3 for the price of 2 or 2 for £5 Barry M. I know OPI is amaaaaazing etc and I will order from there in future, but I need to cut down on my purchasing now as I have at least 5 colours waiting to be worn, and with 35 in total I should be using the ones I already have :colondollar:
xx

Ahh no worries, at least you know for the future :smile:. Barry M is pretty good, got one of their shades and I was impressed. I need to stop spending as well :ninjagirl: lol, but can't help it! 35 polishes? that is a decent collection, and not too much IMO. If you look on youtube, the stashes some of the ''guru's'' have is bonkers! lol

:smile:
Ahh no worries, at least you know for the future :smile:. Barry M is pretty good, got one of their shades and I was impressed. I need to stop spending as well :ninjagirl: lol, but can't help it! 35 polishes? that is a decent collection, and not too much IMO. If you look on youtube, the stashes some of the ''guru's'' have is bonkers! lol

:smile:

I recommend all of the Barry M collection (I have a lot of variety from there) but not some of the pastels. The green is fine but the others are a bit watery.

I'm sure the gurus also got sent plenty of their collection for free though, *sob*! I work at Boots so I do get a tiny discount but it's hardly anything xx
Reply 44
Barry M and Revlon are really good. Nails inc is awful, seriously over-priced and bad quality (but obviously well marketed..) I have about 5 bottles, given as presents, and all the colours chip off within a few hours!
I never even see nail salons using their stuff.

Rant over
Reply 45
what's the difference between makes of nail varnish? Aren't they all the same? :colondollar: :s-smilie:
I didnt think they were that hard to get in the UK, you can buy them online from asos :smile:
Original post by Cool Cat
what's the difference between makes of nail varnish? Aren't they all the same? :colondollar: :s-smilie:

Unfortunately not :tongue: a lot of the cheaper ones ive tried dont last, require loads of coats etc
Reply 48
Original post by LettersFromTheSky
Unfortunately not :tongue: a lot of the cheaper ones ive tried dont last, require loads of coats etc

I see :ms:

but seriously what is the point? :iiam:
Original post by Cool Cat
I see :ms:

but seriously what is the point? :iiam:

The point in buying expensive ones? cause theyre better quality

Or the point in nail polishes? I guess its up to the individual who wears them, when I wear them I think that my hands look nicer in general, I also love colourful stuff :tongue:
I recommend all of the Barry M collection (I have a lot of variety from there) but not some of the pastels. The green is fine but the others are a bit watery.

I'm sure the gurus also got sent plenty of their collection for free though, *sob*! I work at Boots so I do get a tiny discount but it's hardly anything xx

So true. I randomly browse various nail blogs and a lot of them get entire collections sent to them for free to review. So jealous!

Yea, from what I have seen and the one I own, Barry M isn't bad. Might get some more of their polishes (when I have more £££ on my lil account) :tongue:

Ahh that's quite true actually; some of the collections I have seen is absolutely b o n k e r s. I kinda think ''How on EARTH is one person going to wear all that nail polish AND make up . .O M G, have you seen some of the collections?? JEEZE, some even have ''make up rooms'', like W T F. LOL

And are quite watery and take flippin ages to dry! lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Yea, from what I have seen and the one I own, Barry M isn't bad. Might get some more of their polishes (when I have more £££ on my lil account) :tongue:

Ahh that's quite true actually; some of the collections I have seen is absolutely b o n k e r s. I kinda think ''How on EARTH is one person going to wear all that nail polish AND make up . .O M G, have you seen some of the collections?? JEEZE, some even have ''make up rooms'', like W T F. LOL

And are quite watery and take flippin ages to dry! lol

Awwh watching make up/nail gurus on youtube makes me envious, a lot of their stuff is sent to them by pr companies to review, and being industry professionals a lot will prob get very generous discounts

And yeah the cheap ones are a bit :angry:. I love Barry M's colour range but the application on the lighter colours is so horrible! Has anyone tried their nail effects? Also for affordable nail polishes I like 17.
OPI are worth the money, you can get "seasonal" sets of 4 or 5 mini nail polishes for half the price which is pretty good if you dont want to spend all that money
Awwh watching make up/nail gurus on youtube makes me envious, a lot of their stuff is sent to them by pr companies to review, and being industry professionals a lot will prob get very generous discounts

And yeah the cheap ones are a bit :angry:. I love Barry M's colour range but the application on the lighter colours is so horrible! Has anyone tried their nail effects? Also for affordable nail polishes I like 17.

I <3 nail effects!xx
I <3 nail effects!xx

Theyre awesome arent they?! The only thing I would say is that I think the black and white ones are really thick and hard to apply :frown:, also I messed up my brush for the white one cause I tried to clean it and yeah..:o:p! The blue and pink ones were quite thin and nice to apply though.
Theyre awesome arent they?! The only thing I would say is that I think the black and white ones are really thick and hard to apply :frown:, also I messed up my brush for the white one cause I tried to clean it and yeah..:o:p! The blue and pink ones were quite thin and nice to apply though.

I haven't tried the white yet - what colours do you paint it over?xx
I haven't tried the white yet - what colours do you paint it over?xx

White looks nice on quite a few colours, red, mint green, a few shades of blue, pink, silver, a peachy coraly colour, grey, purple. Black looks good with all of those colours too, one thing that surprised me though, pastel yellow and black looked absolutely awful :tongue:, dont try that haha!

I wanna try them on some glitter polishes, I'm not usually a fan of glitter polishes but the OPI Katy Perry collection looks nice, I might just have to get my hands on some.
White looks nice on quite a few colours, red, mint green, a few shades of blue, pink, silver, a peachy coraly colour, grey, purple. Black looks good with all of those colours too, one thing that surprised me though, pastel yellow and black looked absolutely awful :tongue:, dont try that haha!

I wanna try them on some glitter polishes, I'm not usually a fan of glitter polishes but the OPI Katy Perry collection looks nice, I might just have to get my hands on some.

I think the black one looks best on top of metallic silver or gold :biggrin: xx
Reply 59
Original post by Yazmina
Barry M and Revlon are really good. Nails inc is awful, seriously over-priced and bad quality (but obviously well marketed..) I have about 5 bottles, given as presents, and all the colours chip off within a few hours!
I never even see nail salons using their stuff.

Rant over

I think Nails Inc depends on the nail, Barry M chips off in like an hour for me whilst Nails Inc will last a week at the shortest.
I have 35 bottles of Nails Inc and every single one is great on me but then loads of people say it's rubbish and chips. I don't think nail salons are allowed to use their stuff though because they have their own salons

Quick Reply

Latest