The Student Room Group

Bio Med What Happens If I Change My Mind

I didn't get any of my 4 offers for medicine and i'm not sure weather to accept Bio Med or have a gap year it really depends on my results ...what happens if I do accept the offer and then change my mind on results day and have a gap year can I do this
Reply 1
You can phone up on results day and ask the uni to 'release' you from the offer, so you don't have to go. They don't HAVE to release you, but they almost certainly will - they don't want someone to come to their university who doesn't want to be there.

Or just decline the offer and have a gap year anyway? Then you can apply for whatever you want, even if you don't get the grades for medicine. That'd give you more of a choice of biomed courses (or whatever) than just the one that effectively you had.
Original post by Madprof
They don't HAVE to release you, but they almost certainly will - they don't want someone to come to their university who doesn't want to be there.

I'm sure they would release the person as if they don't want to do the course they won't turn up to register and no fees will be paid. Better to release them and hope the slot can be filled through clearing.
Reply 3
If you are confident you can get AAA then maybe you should just withdraw and take a gap year? There's a good chance the competition at med schools may be less next year, and you'll have a chance to improve your application. Did you ask for feedback from your rejections?
Reply 4
Original post by daniel44
I didn't get any of my 4 offers for medicine and i'm not sure weather to accept Bio Med or have a gap year it really depends on my results ...what happens if I do accept the offer and then change my mind on results day and have a gap year can I do this

What do you mean with my 4 offers. Did you get 4 offers or did you got rejected from your 4 choices.

For the second one I would assume you take a gap year as you will have more chances than grad entry. I generally advise gap year.
Reply 5
sorry I meant 4 choices !!! wish I did mean 4 offers ...yes I asked for feedback seems to be my personal statement that let me down.:mad:
Reply 6
Hey there, if you get the grades I strongly suggest you take a gap year, graduate medicine is more competitive than school- leaver level -you are by no means guaranteed a place; my 3 housemates applied for med as grads and were rejected from all 4 places w/o interview.

It's going to be ridiculously expensive too, unless you have 40k spare I wouldn't recommend it.
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice what happens if i accept the place and get AAA and change my mind will they deffinatley release me
Reply 8
Technically they don't have to release you but there's no reason they won't and I've not heard of anyone ever not being released - as poster above said, it's in their interests to let you go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending