The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

A question for Uni of Manchester 1st years...

For those who are living in halls this year, when did you apply for accommodation and did you get your first choice?
I'm asking this because I'm absolutely in love with Woolton Hall and I applied way back in January, so what are my chances of getting it based on people's experiences?
it wont make any difference whether you apply now or in August.
I applied in early August, didnt get any of my choices - got Whitworth Park.
I know a couple of people who applied early and had Whitworth Park as their first choice and still they didnt get it.
it's a lottery, really.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I applied in August and got none of my choices whatsoever :frown: Ended up in some rubbish catered hall. My own fault for applying so late, wish I could go back and change it.
Original post by trouble-trouble
it wont make any difference whether you apply now or in August.
I applied in early August, didnt get any of my choices - got Whitworth Park.
I know a couple of people who applied early and had Whitworth Park as their first choice and still they didnt get it.
it's a lottery, really.

what bout if u got unconditional offer?
Reply 4
Original post by the_neg_master_
what bout if u got unconditional offer?

it shouldn't make a difference. They save a number of rooms for conditional applicants to make it fairer for them in August, and us unconditionals don't get to take all the best rooms first. So, although we find out where we're placed earlier, we have about the same chance of getting our preferences.
Original post by TheOFactor
it shouldn't make a difference. They save a number of rooms for conditional applicants to make it fairer for them in August, and us unconditionals don't get to take all the best rooms first. So, although we find out where we're placed earlier, we have about the same chance of getting our preferences.

Oh snap! Burkhardt bye bye then...
Reply 6
Original post by the_neg_master_
Oh snap! Burkhardt bye bye then...

not necessarily - the lady on the phone hinted that it was first come first serve, so as long as you applied early you stand a good chance! I, however, applied only last week, so I'm a bit worried:s-smilie:...
if I dont get Burkhardt.... I am going to...??
So wait... does it matter how early/ late you apply??
Reply 9
Original post by francescafrancesca
So wait... does it matter how early/ late you apply??

People seem to be saying opposite things. I'm just gonna phone them up and see what they make of it.
Original post by ninjacarlotta
For those who are living in halls this year, when did you apply for accommodation and did you get your first choice?
I'm asking this because I'm absolutely in love with Woolton Hall and I applied way back in January, so what are my chances of getting it based on people's experiences?

It doesn't really matter when you applied it doesn't really affect it. Woolton however is not THAT popular I don't think so you've got a fair shot.
Reply 11
when do we hear back about whether we were successful?
When you apply has no effect on how likely you are to get one of your preferences. Unfortunately, there are thousands of people they have to place, so you're not guaranteed anything you wanted. If, like me, you get somewhere you really didn't want, you just have to live with it. They will only change your allocation if you can prove that there are medical reasons or that you can't afford it.

If you have an unconditional offer for the university, you will find out your halls in June/July.
If you have a conditional offer for the university, you will find out your halls within one week of getting your exam results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending