The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

BEconSc L102 or BA Econ?

As the title says;

My reasons for asking these are basically that I am not a natural at maths, I'm not good at it basically. I'm not terrible but it just takes me a while longer (and a lot of studying) to get things in when it comes to maths.

Must admit though, I do enjoy maths, it can be frustrating at times as it's not my strong point but I actually enjoy it as a subject as hard as it is for me.

I like reading but I much prefer "number subjects" even if I am not great at them.

So here is the question; for someone who does not have a natural ability for maths and numbers, but who already does and is willing to study hard, how difficult can BEconSc L102 be? Is it an impossible/very very hard course (for someone as I described), or is it a matter of putting the amount of work in? (understanding of course that having a natural ability would make things easier)

Thanks in advance, it's just really wrecking my head.
Reply 1
anyone?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
no big difference, actually.
I have a friend who studies BEconSc and she does the same modules with me. Furthermore, I picked Applied Statistics for Economists module and she didnt, so I'm having more maths/stats than she does.

Not that hard either, really, goes a little bit over the A-level Maths syllabus, you will be fine.

the main difference between BAEcon and BEconSc is that BAEcon kids have more optional modules in different social sciences as Politics, Philosophy, History etc

hope that helped!
Reply 3
Original post by trouble-trouble
no big difference, actually.
I have a friend who studies BEconSc and she does the same modules with me. Furthermore, I picked Applied Statistics for Economists module and she didnt, so I'm having more maths/stats than she does.

Not that hard either, really, goes a little bit over the A-level Maths syllabus, you will be fine.

the main difference between BAEcon and BEconSc is that BAEcon kids have more optional modules in different social sciences as Politics, Philosophy, History etc

hope that helped!

oh that sounds pretty cool, thanks a lot! how does it work after you graduate though? would you not have better employment options (in the finance/banking area) if you do the BSc or the BA? also, i heard you can do erasmus on the BA, and not the BSc? is that right?

thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by triloko
oh that sounds pretty cool, thanks a lot! how does it work after you graduate though? would you not have better employment options (in the finance/banking area) if you do the BSc or the BA? also, i heard you can do erasmus on the BA, and not the BSc? is that right?

thanks!

well, first of all, Manchester uni has the best career service in the UK and our societies offer lots of career opportunities like employer's open days and talks - it doesnt really matter whether you do BAEcon or BEconSc, what actually matters is your grades and modules that you do, that should be reflected in your university transcript (eg a list of all the modules that you've done with the grades).
so as long as employers see some 'serious' modules like finance, econometrics, economics etc - they will be fine as long as you have a 2.1 or a 1st. and it's only a reason to offer you an interview, from then it's your charisma and passion about the job.

about studying abroad - no, I dont think that BEconSc will give you more options, I think it's the opposite - as a BAEcon student I could go abroad to study Politics or Economics or even Sociology. dont worry, when you actually come to Manchester, there will be plenty of talks on studying abroad, you wont miss anything out if you dont start researching that now. you will have to have an average of 65% for your first year in order to be eligible for the abroad study, though.

my advice for you is - concentrate on getting into the uni first, you'll find out about all the career/abroad study opportunities when you're in :smile:
we have lots of student societies that help with employment as well, MUTIS will suit you perfectly! (Manchester University Trading and Investment Society)
Reply 5
Whoa! Great! Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending