The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MoMatrix
I am not a Chelsea supporter, but conceding less goals does correlate with winning cups.

Correlation is not the same as causation.
Reply 9521
How do you define a terrible Arsenal fan?

Original post by Kevmeister
One that doesn't agree with his view.

Obviously.

How about...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=31070056&postcount=9094
Original post by RobbieC
I'm going to have a long think about continuing to watch domestic football right now. The standard just isn't acceptable and I deserve a rest from all of this. Perhaps I'm due a little holiday.

I've ceased caring about the result from the United game, which is beyond abnormal for me, because I despise them... but the fact I've lost my thirst for such a fixture just shows where I am right now with all this. I'm tired and decimated. We deserve so much better.

True(ly awful) fan.

On topic: huge game today! If you guys win it's still wide open. As a Liverpool fan I'm desperately hoping that you do...but I'm not at all confident :tongue:
Hello voyeur :hello:

Of course I wouldn't deny making that post in the heat of a moment. You will, however, deny completely missing the point on purpose. Or maybe you are just a bit too special to get it.

Either way it's hardly wide open... but we are mathematically in it, which is why - unlike my moronic counterparts - I won't be waving a Chelsea or United flag.

I'll be supporting the Arsenal, for my sins, and to doubtless more reams of a abuse from people who are bereft of respect, sense or basic decency.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9523
Original post by RobbieC
Hello voyeur :wave:

Of course I wouldn't deny making that post in the heat of a moment. You will, however, deny completely missing the point on purpose. Or maybe you are just a bit too special to get it.

Either way it's hardly wide open... but we are mathematically in it, which is why - unlike my moronic counterparts - I won't be waving a Chelsea or United flag.

I'll be supporting the Arsenal, for my sins, and to doubtless more reams of a abuse from people who are bereft of respect, sense or basic decency.

:wave:

Today's your cup final, right? (apart from the one you already threw away :teeth:). So if your cupfinalitis theory has anything in it, you should pull out a win. No problem, then :smile:
Original post by RobbieC
Hello voyeur :hello:

No-one is 'waving any flags' Robbie - what we're saying is, given the chances of us now winning the title are (while mathematically possible) very slim, which team we would rather take the title over the other.

The reason I say Utd is because if we win today, and they beat Chelsea next weekend, we will most likely be back in second spot again where we should be.
Reply 9525
Wonder which arsenal player is going to give a penalty away today?
Original post by marcusmerehay
No-one is 'waving any flags' Robbie - what we're saying is, given the chances of us now winning the title are (while mathematically possible) very slim, which team we would rather take the title over the other.

The reason I say Utd is because if we win today, and they beat Chelsea next weekend, we will most likely be back in second spot again where we should be.
Thanks for actually talking to me like a human being. And that wasn't sarcasm.

Some people were pretty much in flag-waving mode mate, and it's astounding. Some people here seriously lack some spine. Thankfully none of the ones I give a **** about or whose opinions would hold any weight whatsoever, but it's worrying that exists. Probably the same people who go to games and tell the proper fans - who stand and sing for the team - to sit down. Daytrippers.

As soon as we're mathematically out of it, I'd like Chelsea to lose to United and for us to come into second. Chelsea do not deserve to be back in this and I want to see that progression.

Either way, today I would love for us to wreck United. It has genuinely been coming for us to destroy them, and we have to capitalise on early pressure and chances as we haven't managed recently with them.
Original post by M_E_X
:wave:

Today's your cup final, right? (apart from the one you already threw away :teeth:). So if your cupfinalitis theory has anything in it, you should pull out a win. No problem, then :smile:
Still some good voyeuring. You obviously missed the part of the theory that explicitly states the team that wins is to be very average compared to their opponents.

2 spaces below is not significant enough for this to become a cupfinal for Arsenal.

Carry on. I'll give you another go, because I think you need it.
Today should be all about pride and progress. If you can comfortably beat United you will have beaten City away, United and Chelsea which is something you've struggled with in recent seasons. Sounds strange but I do feel players need a sort of precedent to overcome their mental barriers, winning today would do exactly that and in future seasons you can look back on a victory for belief.
Reply 9529
we are giving out penalties like condoms in zimbabwe
Reply 9530
Original post by RobbieC
Still some good voyeuring. You obviously missed the part of the theory that explicitly states the team that wins is to be very average compared to their opponents.

I read that post a few days ago by you (I read this thread a lot, as I've stated in the past) and it stuck out as a bit of an odd thing to say. So, when I noticed you calling out other fans as being 'armchair' (when threatening to 'disown' your club is about the most armchair thing you can do), I couldn't resist going back and quoting you on it. But of course, you were only joking, I'm a cretin for not noticing, I'm a cretin anyway, bla, bla...

Original post by RobbieC
As soon as we're mathematically out of it, I'd like Chelsea to lose to United and for us to come into second. Chelsea do not deserve to be back in this and I want to see that progression.

x

This is something I've seen you say too, Marcus - what does it mean? I think that whoever picks up the most points over the course of the season deserves to win the title, unless there is significant cheating going on, which I haven't noticed.
Original post by M_E_X
This is something I've seen you say too, Marcus - what does it mean? I think that whoever picks up the most points over the course of the season deserves to win the title, unless there is significant cheating going on, which I haven't noticed.
Did you see the Chelsea anti-goals yesterday?

I count those 3 points as robbery, and that's without even trying/trawling the archives to find the rest of their ill-won points.

Meanwhile, despite some errors of our own making, Arsenal have lost more points/goals this season through disastrous officiating than ever in my life as a fan. I have followed this club for 17 years and never seen this many decisions go against us.

It might not be a conspiracy, it probably isn't, but it has been a very unlucky year on that front and there simply isn't time for things to 'even themselves out'.
Reply 9532
Original post by RobbieC

I count those 3 points as robbery, and that's without even trying/trawling the archives to find the rest of their ill-won points.

Meanwhile, despite some errors of our own making, Arsenal have lost more points/goals this season through disastrous officiating than ever in my life as a fan. I have followed this club for 17 years and never seen this many decisions go against us.

It might not be a conspiracy, it probably isn't, but it has been a very unlucky year on that front and there simply isn't time for things to 'even themselves out'.

Yeah, certainly Chelsea were very fortunate yesterday. But even if Lampard's 'goal' was (rightfully) disallowed, who is to say they wouldn't have pressed more and scored again anyway? You can't just write off the three points because of that.

I think it's human nature to remember the freak bad things that happen to us rather than the freak good things. My most vivid memory from last season was the beach ball at Sunderland, when really we would have had lots of good fortune as well, but it's the beach ball that comes to mind. Arsenal have had heaps of red and yellow cards this season (the most reds in the league), they can't all be undeserved?

Even if you have been a little unlucky over the course of the season, you're a long way from the top now and could well slip further before the season's out - so you're not just "a bit of luck" away from winning the Prem, imo.
United should take you boys apart today, 8/21 points taken since the beginning of March no doubt Arsenal will make this into their own little cup final to try to cling on to that second place they deserve. :rolleyes:

:tongue:
Reply 9534
Original post by doggyfizzel
United should take you boys apart today, 8/21 points taken since the beginning of March no doubt Arsenal will make this into their own little cup final to try to cling on to that second place they deserve. :rolleyes::tongue:

Depends who scores the first goal if Arsenal do it will be an open game but if United score it could be a thrashing as they will sit back and hit on the counter attack.
Reply 9535
Original post by RobbieC

You honestly think Arsenal deserved to win a trophy this year....................................?
(edited 12 years ago)
Depends who scores the first goal if Arsenal do it will be an open game but if United score it could be a thrashing as they will sit back and hit on the counter attack.
United will probably hit on the counter anyway, why would you play an open game against a team with a midfield and defence like Arsenal?

I see Evra has been on the WUM again :biggrin:
I'm a huge supporter of this club but I just cannot see us winning in our current state defined by our ability to miss pass, cross balls in to absolutely nobody and our lack of drive when it matters. I'll watch it in the hope that maybe we can produce something similar to the 2-1 victory over United but it'll just remain hope until it actually happens.
Original post by M_E_X
Arsenal have had heaps of red and yellow cards this season (the most reds in the league), they can't all be undeserved?

Personally I never thought either of Koscielny's were red cards.

The second yellow against Liverpool at the start of the season was, as far as I could tell, not a 'deliberate' handball by any stretch - admittedly that was in stoppage time so wouldn't have changed anything.

As for the game against Newcastle, he was about 40 yards away from goal and right by the touchline when he brought down Nile Ranger, with Squillaci (I think?) a few yards behind him in the middle of the pitch - I was frankly amazed we didn't get the appeal accepted.

Can't really remember the other red cards - didn't see much of the 4-4 game when Diaby was sent off, though I gather it was deserved (Nolan should also have been IIRC?)

The thing is, most of the yellows we get are for persistent (so-called 'tactical fouls') niggling rather than any rash challenges, that pain me to see go unpunished a lot of the time.
Reply 9539
Personally I never thought either of Koscielny's were red cards.

The second yellow against Liverpool at the start of the season was, as far as I could tell, not a 'deliberate' handball by any stretch - admittedly that was in stoppage time so wouldn't have changed anything.

As for the game against Newcastle, he was about 40 yards away from goal and right by the touchline when he brought down Nile Ranger, with Squillaci (I think?) a few yards behind him in the middle of the pitch - I was frankly amazed we didn't get the appeal accepted.

Can't really remember the other red cards - didn't see much of the 4-4 game when Diaby was sent off, though I gather it was deserved (Nolan should also have been IIRC?)

The thing is, most of the yellows we get are for persistent (so-called 'tactical fouls') niggling rather than any rash challenges, that pain me to see go unpunished a lot of the time.

That was a last man challenge definite red card.

Latest