The Student Room Group

Wootton Bassett Cartoon Sparks Outrage

A cartoon mocking Wootton Bassett's tributes to dead soldiers has been condemned by senior Conservative and Labour politicians.

After the Queen honoured the town by renaming it Royal Wootton Bassett, the Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell wrote in a cartoon: "Welcome to Royal Wootton Deathfest."

His cartoon also said the town is "not twinned with Fallujah", a reference to the Iraqi town where US forces were accused of killing civilians.

The town's residents have been widely praised for their silent roadside vigils as the bodies of soldiers killed in Afghanistan and Iraq return home.

Defence Secretary Liam Fox told the Sun: "It's tasteless and offensive. It shows a total lack of respect for our fallen.

"It's cowardly and bad taste which stands in stark contrast to the pride of the people of Royal Wootton Bassett."

A spokesman for Labour leader Ed Miliband told the paper: "There is no doubt that to the vast majority of people in country, Wootton Bassett deserves its Royal designation.

"It should be a matter for some pride and should not be denigrated in this way."

Many Guardian readers praised Bell's cartoon on the paper's website.

Several said it was "spot on", while one - using the name "Rather be red" - declared: "Our soldiers are not heroes because there is nothing heroic about this war."

The Guardian faced some complaints, however. One reader said it was "intensely disrespectful" and another said it was "offensive and moronic".

A third reader asked: "Why does Steve Bell hate Britain so much?"

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110318/tuk-wootton-bassett-cartoon-sparks-outra-45dbed5.html

Somewhat insensitive but I don't think this makes said cartoonish "anti-British."
I think that's a bit over the top

Scroll to see replies

Meh.
Reply 2
They consider themselves to be the intelligentsia, what a joke ! Seems to me that Guardian readers and the imbecile journalists the paper employs are no better than the scruffy none required low lives that heckle British soldiers returning home and burn one of the county's national symbols the poppy.Maybe Guardian readers would be best going back to some reading that their level of intellect understands better.THE BEANO.
Reply 3
I am outraged!
It's an idiotic and offensive comic (not his first IIRC) but we can't curtail freedom of speech - it's a slippery slope.
Does anyone actually find Steve Bell funny?
Reply 6
Maybe Miliband could show us some of his policies while he's in for interview - oh wait, he doesn't have any.
Reply 7

Can't say I'm exactly fuming with rage. But of course this image does deserve criticism due to it's obvious attack on tory policies and therefore Britishness. It is after all everyones' patriotic duty to support David Cameron as after all he said so.

Original post by adamrules247
Does anyone actually find Steve Bell funny?

I do. I've quite enjoyed his recent Hague 'mojo' series.
Reply 8
Original post by Wednesday Bass
It's an idiotic and offensive comic (not his first IIRC) but we can't curtail freedom of speech - it's a slippery slope.

This.

Seems completely unnecessary drawing a cartoon like that. But he should be allowed to do it
Reply 9
Original post by Salazar

Can't say I'm exactly fuming with rage. But of course this image does deserve criticism due to it's obvious attack on tory policies and therefore Britishness. It is after all everyones' patriotic duty to support David Cameron as after all he said so.

I do. I've quite enjoyed his recent Hague 'mojo' series.

Well done for missing why people are outraged by this.

Tool.
Reply 10
Original post by Aj12
Well done for missing why people are outraged by this.

Tool.

Evidently my sarcasm is lost on you.

'Tool.'
Reply 11
Pathetic, tasteless cartoon. It says more about those who drew it rather than Wooton Bassett itself.
Reply 12
Make Wootton Bassett 'royal' then close the base where all the dead soldiers are landed. Still trying to figure that one out.
Freedom of speech. Deal with it.
Reply 14
Some people are so ignorant, look at the actual message of the cartoon, he's not insulting the soldiers he's blaming the tories
I don't really expect much else from the guardian. It's why I don't buy it.

Many shops in Liverpool still don't sell the sun because of one article 2 decades ago. If people are genuinely offended by anything in a newspaper they need only follow this example.
Reply 16
Reading a thread like this makes me a bit concerned about the apparant lack of critical thought that has gone into your responses. You say it is offensive, unpatriotic etc though you're completely missing the point of the cartoon, which is not to criticise the ceremonies at Wootton Bassett.

Steve Bell is articulating the irony of government powers which wish to promote life whilst simultaneously destroying it in pursuit of a 'greater good' that we'll never achieve. It's exposing political power today for what it is: hypocritical and contradictory.

If any of you have ever read any Giorgio Agamben, you might understand the many levels of this cartoon.
Reply 17
Original post by cooksie5
Reading a thread like this makes me a bit concerned about the apparant lack of critical thought that has gone into your responses. You say it is offensive, unpatriotic etc though you're completely missing the point of the cartoon, which is not to criticise the ceremonies at Wootton Bassett.

Steve Bell is articulating the irony of government powers which wish to promote life whilst simultaneously destroying it in pursuit of a 'greater good' that we'll never achieve. It's exposing political power today for what it is: hypocritical and contradictory.

If any of you have ever read any Giorgio Agamben, you might understand the many levels of this cartoon.

Check post dates.
Reply 18
Original post by Ich Dien
Check post dates.

Yes, I am aware that this thread hasn't been active for a while (I haven't been either). I'm writing an essay relating to political power using the instance of the repatriation ceremonies at Wootton Bassett and I came across this thread when looking for reactions to the cartoon.

I couldn't resist saying something to people who seem to have a very one dimensional view.
I don't think any of Steve Bell's comics are funny. If you're going to make a controversial comic strip at least make it humorous otherwise it's just a massive cringefest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending